GDT: Trades & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I'd like to see assets spent judiciously today. Unless there is a bona-fide upgrade available, with some term attached, I'd rather not expend significant futures. I think this team has a lot of holes and to the extent they can be remediated (can't change the culture of the core unless you maybe can the guy behind the bench), then it's best dealt with in the off-season.

Still think a top four right handed defenseman has to be the priority, but I'd be fine with a winger or a center as long they're not merely here for a cup of coffee and gone again tomorrow. Not keen on forking over significant futures for a rental.

We've traded 1st round picks in recent years for:
-Multiple years of Muzzin
-Move Marleau to save capspace for one season
-A dozen games or whatever of a ~33 year old declining Foligno
-Two dozen games or whatever of a ~32 year old declining ROR
-Trade down from a 1st to move a bad Mrazek contract recently signed by that same GM (ie fixing his own mistakes).
-Multiple years of McCabe at 2M

Two of those moves were for multi-year benefits. Three were for one year or less of benefit. One was to fix a recent mistake by the GM.

Other teams trade 1sts? They often do it to get a guy in his 20s, who is already better than Foligno/ROR when we got them, plus they have ~6-8 good years of hockey left. They also often re-sign those players or they already have term (eg Eichel, Hanifin, Horvat, Hampus Lindholm, Sam Reinhart, Fiala, Hronek, etc).

We need to stop talking about 1sts for the David Savards of the world, and look at trades for guys who can help us for 5+ years.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
-Multiple years of Muzzin (only non-shortsightrd move we've made with a 1st)
-Trade down from a 1st to move a bad Mrazek contract recently signed by that same GM (ie fixing his own mistakes).

Other teams trade 1sts? They often do it to get a guy in his 20s, who is already better than Foligno/ROR when we got them, plus they have ~6-8 good years of hockey left. They also often re-sign those players or they already have term (eg Eichel, Hanifin, Horvat, Hampus Lindholm, Sam Reinhart, Fiala, Hronek, etc).

We need to stop talking about 1sts for the David Savards of the world, and look at trades for guys who can help us for 5+ years.

McCabe at 2M for 3 playoffs.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I'd like to see the Leafs take a chance on a forward but you can easily take Knies and Gregor out of this lineup and plugin Robertson and Holmberg so I'm not sure if it will happen.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
No reason to freak out about this week. The media will, for sure, because it drives engagement. Bunkis and McKee were embarrassing to listen to after the game. It was my first time listening to them, and I’m not sure how they have a show, let alone an audience.

It’s clear the team hasn’t been themselves, with flu running through the room. If you can add (reasonably), I see no reason not to.

Edit: a guy like Buchnevich works, because he makes your team better this year and next.
It's a good lesson. Don't listen to those two. I don't trust this core either but those two are awful.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

They didn’t trade a 1st for Mrazek, they traded a 1st for Mrazek and a 2nd 13 spots lower.

That is a steal of a deal

If you want to put names to it, the Leafs traded Sam Rinzel and Mrazek for Minten

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
People worried about picks when we've been a contender all this time. It's wild.

We'll have plenty of time in 5-7 years to pick a million times and hope we find good players. Now's the time to find a way to win a stanley cup and you need to get aggressive to do that. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'd rather try than to sit on our hands because we're afraid that a pick is gonna be good in 5 years.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
People worried about picks when we've been a contender all this time. It's wild.

We'll have plenty of time in 5-7 years to pick a million times and hope we find good players. Now's the time to find a way to win a stanley cup and you need to get aggressive to do that. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'd rather try than to sit on our hands because we're afraid that a pick is gonna be good in 5 years.
The issue is quite a few would doubt the status of a contender, especially when getting out of the first round has been such an issue.

Reactions: rumman

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Take it as a “this is what we have to work with today” OR “this is all we have, we shouldn’t trade anything”
It may be all the draft capital we have, but in no way should it stop us from adding today

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The issue is quite a few would doubt the status of a contender, especially when getting out of the first round has been such an issue.

Hindsight is 20/20 but come on... they were among the top of the league. Are they supposed to start selling or something? Was Dubas supposed to know they would fail constantly in the first round? Should they sit on their hands because that 3rd round pick will be so good in 5 years? They made mistakes and this team had issues in those times, sure.

We can go down this rabbit hole but at the end of the day, this team is good and it's wild that people constantly complain about lacking some picks. If we have a ton of picks, this team probably isn't very good.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
Hindsight is 20/20 but come on... they were among the top of the league. Are they supposed to start selling or something? They made mistakes and this team had issues in those times, sure.

We can go down this rabbit hole but at the end of the day, this team is good and it's wild that people constantly complain about lacking some picks. If we have a ton of picks, this team probably isn't very good.
I think the issue is that the core 4 does not have character or passion that you see cores on other teams like Boston, Colorado, Florida. They just play a perimeter game in the playoffs. The other issue is that we can't trade any of these 4 players to make roster improvements and we're left with tinkering.

From my perspective, yeah, get Tofolli, get Buchnevich (hell get both and add Parayko lol). But until the core 4 actually starts to perform close to what they're being paid for in the playoffs, this team is going nowhere.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

in fairness they also acquire a 1st for Kapanen and a 1st for Sandin. Cowan’s an excellent prospect.

And while we never will know what Amirov would have become, there is a reasonable chance he could have been a good player.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Tell’em to grab a case of cold ones, or book a vacay, then
If I thought this team was one move away, sure but when your 3 golden boys prove over and over that they cannot or are not willing to play outside their comfort zone in big, hard fought games, no way do I further empty the cupboards. My guess is Tre agrees.

Reactions: rumman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad