GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Carolina might get swept in r2

Wonder if they go after Marner. Sign and trade and add an offensive star winger to their core?

They have a lot of good prospects + Necas &/or Drury who are nice assets
I would go hard after Svechnikov if there was a deal with Carolina. I’d probably even do it straight up even though Marner is the better player… That Svechnikov contract is real solid.

Reactions: JKG33

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
It's not about winning or losing a deal, it's about making that deal that between the return and the cap space we end up in a better position to build a team that can go on deep playoff runs.

In any case, one of Kent Johnson/ Sillinger is that prime level asset

If we were to get a package of one of them + a Russian + Ceulemans prior to July 1 we'd be in incredible shape to retool on the fly and come back a deeper, more balanced team.
where are you going to get these players for all this cap space while downgrading an actual super star in the regular season? KJ and sillinger aren't looking too great and the team doens;t look better with the proposal you made plus whiffing on a bunch of free agents only to end up with pesce and tanev on the decline.

I'm with @Americanadian here even if you dont need to win the trade you need to recoup enough to make your team good or better

Reactions: Americanadian

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I agree with the player; he was very good in the play-in series.

But his fluctuating play may not be best for this group. $8.5m is a big number as well.

To much risk at that number but I'd roll the dice on him at 5M for a year or two

I would go hard after Svechnikov if there was a deal with Carolina. I’d probably even do it straight up even though Marner is the better player… That Svechnikov contract is real solid.

They have some really good prospects, I'd be willing to do that deal for futures

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He is finishing every check. He's also a good sniper. Sign me up.

Reactions: TMLAM34

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
The value for me is hard to pin down for Marner. With his trade protection it really depends on how many options he wants to give Toronto. It's an interesting situation. On one hand I can see him putting unrealistic options as trades, but on the other he'll want to maximize his contract so whoever he wants to be traded too must have some avenue of making that work financially.

Assuming Tkachuck is at least a comparable (vastly different styles but in the same general category of elite mid-late 20yr olds in this league). I'm assuming Marner will net a lesser return, the Leafs will likely look to target filling multiple positions if they can (forward, defenseman, draft pick). What teams are a fit and in need of Marner at 12m? Now would he waive, and why? Likely a large salary coming back in this deal? I'd have to think so. Any other 7-8+m dollar 28-30yr old players out there that fit the description (a Huberdeau lite)?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The value for me is hard to pin down for Marner. With his trade protection it really depends on how many options he wants to give Toronto. It's an interesting situation. On one hand I can see him putting unrealistic options as trades, but on the other he'll want to maximize his contract so whoever he wants to be traded too must have some avenue of making that work financially.

Assuming Tkachuck is at least a comparable (vastly different styles but in the same general category of elite mid-late 20yr olds in this league). I'm assuming Marner will net a lesser return, the Leafs will likely look to target filling multiple positions if they can (forward, defenseman, draft pick). What teams are a fit and in need of Marner at 12m? Now would he waive, and why? Likely a large salary coming back in this deal? I'd have to think so. Any other 7-8+m dollar 28-30yr old players out there that fit the description (a Huberdeau lite)?

The Tkachuk for Huberdeau + Weegar seemingly came out of nowhere, so it's hard to know which team wants to really pull off a big deal like that.

I think Nashville if they want to load up to improve could be an interesting trading partner. They have a decent team but missing top end talent after Forsberg and Josi. Maybe they would rather not pay Saros long-term with Askarov pushing for a spot. He's 29 years old and probably inline for a pretty hefty extension. Would Marner go there? It's a great city with a few players he knows but outside of that, I don't know.

Outside of that, I'm not sure. Carolina would be my wild card team getting involved. Seattle is an obvious team as well.

Reactions: LeafEgo

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I don't know about that, he sucked and that buyout would save them 30 million dollars and the cap recapture isn't that onerous
Even though they’d technically save money, they’d still be paying him for the next what 14 years? I think there’s a good chance he bounces back and gets back to being a 60 point player.

If he is bought out, I’d definitely be interested but he’d probably sign in Montreal.

Reactions: ToneDog

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Even though they’d technically save money, they’d still be paying him for the next what 14 years? I think there’s a good chance he bounces back and gets back to being a 60 point player.

If he is bought out, I’d definitely be interested but he’d probably sign in Montreal.

Yeah, that seems like very positive thinking

He's forced himself off 2 teams, got traded to where he wanted with a sizable contract then dogged it all season

If that didn't make him happy what will?

He probably would but if he pulled this **** there he'd be chased out of town with pitchforks

they already said theyre not buying him out

Double down on the first mistake, always makes things better

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Carolina might get swept in r2

Wonder if they go after Marner. Sign and trade and add an offensive star winger to their core?

They have a lot of good prospects + Necas &/or Drury who are nice assets
I cant see Carolina paying Marner what he wants, but maybe that philosophy shifts if they get swept.

I think it'll be Nashville or Seattle. Gut feel.

Reactions: aingefan

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Let's say you did something like this...

Mitch Marner ($10.9 million) to Seattle for Adam Larsson ($4.0 million) and Shayne Wright ($919K).

David Kampf ($2.4 million) to whoever for a depth pick.

Sign Max Domi $4.25 million x 4
Sign Tyler Bertuzzi $5.75 million x5
Sign Chandler Stephenson $4.5 million x4
Sign Nick Robertson $1.75 million x 3
Sign Joel Edmunson $3.5 million x 3
Sign Matt Roy $4.5 million x 5
Sign Kurtis MacDermid $1.0 million x 2
Sign Laurent Brossoit $3.0 million x 3

Bertuzzi / Matthews / Domi
Knies / Stephenson / Nylander
McMann / Tavares / Jarnkrok
Robertson / Wright / Holmberg