GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
We can spend cap on a combination of our own players (Knies would be great), trade acquisitions, RFAs, and UFAs.

10.9M is a ton of cap that doesn't need to be entirely spent in UFA. But speaking of UFA, there are promising defensemen. The Leafs also seem to wish to extend McCabe.

The leafs have around $18M in cap space this off season and even less commitments next season. I think there's enough flexibility to add 2 top 4 defencemen via trade or UFA without talking themselves into a Mitch Marner trade just for the cap space. If they consider a trade they have to expect at least one ELC player who can slot into the top 6 or top 4, as well as other assets on top.

How does he do that?

I listened to their show yesterday I thought they approached the Marner issue properly. He is in demand and he's a great player so Toronto should be afraid to trade him, but the team should also consider change.

I don't know how it may impact his value. It probably won't. But this should be our mindset as a fanbase.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The leafs have around $18M in cap space this off season and even less commitments next season. I think there's enough flexibility to add 2 top 4 defencemen via trade or UFA without talking themselves into a Mitch Marner trade just for the cap space. If they consider a trade they have to expect at least one ELC player who can slot into the top 6 or top 4, as well as other assets on top.

They just have to spend wisely, and if a trade comes up with more money out than in great.

1715350677133.png

How does he do that?

He's friends with the hot-dog vendor?

What are the Vegas odds that marner agrees to any move?
What are the Vegas odds that the Leafs focus is on the new coach, and not changing the Core?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I listened to their show yesterday I thought they approached the Marner issue properly. He is in demand and he's a great player so Toronto should be afraid to trade him, but the team should also consider change.

I don't know how it may impact his value. It probably won't. But this should be our mindset as a fanbase.
Hopefully the mindset of the fanbase doesn't have anything to do with it.

I just don't see how Kyprios has any impact on generating a bidding war.

Last edited:
Reactions: ULF_55

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
I wanted to clarify I don't want Mitch traded purely for cap space, although that is a benefit. The primary reason is this mix is losing. We lean on the stars and they can't do it with this structure. Continuing to tinker is just not good enough. You'd also get an asset in return that will be expected to be helpful.

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
I think with Robertson, Knies, Grebenkin and Cowan, we have the talent upfront to lose Marner without much worry.

If we can get a young top 4 D + picks/prospects for Marner, I would do it.

Hell, Seattle has the 8th overall pick - if Sam Dickinson is still available at their pick, I'd offer Marner for the pick straight up.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Front office basically called out the teams offense, saying we haven't been able to score and that the way you score and the types of goals you score in the playoffs is different than the regular season.

Also mentioned that alot of the little things that add up to success in the postseason are not related to skill.

Mitch is a great player but after listening to that press conference, I'd say it's very likely he's going to get traded.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Front office basically called out the teams offense, saying we haven't been able to score and that the way you score and the types of goals you score in the playoffs is different than the regular season.

Also mentioned that alot of the little things that add up to success in the postseason are not related to skill.

Mitch is a great player but after listening to that press conference, I'd say it's very likely he's going to get traded.

I understand the principle that playoff goals can be hard to come by and I don't really disagree at all, but a powerplay doesn't change in the playoffs for the most part. You have 1 more player than the other team. And not being able to put up even a 20% through all those powerplays is quite frankly appalling.

Like a team like the Oilers aren't scoring different kinds of goals. They are dominating on the PP. And their best players are pretty much their best players.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Hopefully the mindset of the fanbase doesn't have anything to do with it.

I just don't see how Kyprios has any impact on generating a bidding war.

They can to an extent. Insiders have already said that they have teams talking to them about if Marner would go and who’s interested

Dreger did insane work to get Marners negotiation in the medao

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
They can to an extent. Insiders have already said that they have teams talking to them about if Marner would go and who’s interested

Dreger did insane work to get Marners negotiation in the medao
How can they to "an extent"?

Are teams thinking "we better make a signifcant offer" because Kyprios says there's lots of interest?

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004

if your defense isnt a threat to score at all, the other team only needs to focus on your 'star' players, in that case, its pretty hard to score.
Unless they meant our useless Defense for offense?

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
I understand the principle that playoff goals can be hard to come by and I don't really disagree at all, but a powerplay doesn't change in the playoffs for the most part. You have 1 more player than the other team. And not being able to put up even a 20% through all those powerplays is quite frankly appalling.

Like a team like the Oilers aren't scoring different kinds of goals. They are dominating on the PP. And their best players are pretty much their best players.
While its more skill based the intensity and pressure from the PK ratchets up in the playoffs. And, not saying its his fault per se but.. Mitch touches the puck more than anyone else on the team on the PP. Draw whatever conclusions you like from that.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
if your defense isnt a threat to score at all, the other team only needs to focus on your 'star' players, in that case, its pretty hard to score.

All things can be true.
Our defense doesn't offer much offensively, our PP has been extremely poor (which only has Rielly from that dcore on it) and maybe our star players are going to need to evolve their playstyle a little if they want to consistently score in the postseason.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
I remember when the stars couldn't score because Hyman was "so awful" the other team didn't even need to cover him.

Hyman playoff goals as an Oiler - 23
Matthews career - 23
Marner career - 11

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
While its more skill based the intensity and pressure from the PK ratchets up in the playoffs. And, not saying its his fault per se but.. Mitch touches the puck more than anyone else on the team on the PP. Draw whatever conclusions you like from that.

The PP was putrid after February and on. It didn't matter how tough the opponent was. And Marner was definitely one of the issues on the power play for sure.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Who pays Kypreos pay check... the same people paying for Marners.

Kyper got the memo...boost the asset. Like the organization did with Phaneuf.
It's not just Kypreos who said this, Friedman said the following on Kyper and Bourne a few days ago:
- Marner wants a deal in the Nylander range (11.5-12 x 8)
- Other teams have no problem paying the price above. If he hits UFA 20+ teams are willing to pay him that contract
- Teams are already asking about Mitch
- At this time it's doubtful he will waive, though

Reactions: aingefan

weems

Jul 3, 2008
The PP was putrid from February on. It didn't matter how tough the opponent was. And Marner was definitely one of the issues on the power play for sure.

The PP has been a joke in elimination games under Keefe.

I think it's around something like 1 for 26 in those games the last 5 series.

Reactions: SprDaVE

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
All things can be true.
Our defense doesn't offer much offensively, our PP has been extremely poor (which only has Rielly from that dcore on it) and maybe our star players are going to need to evolve their playstyle a little if they want to consistently score in the postseason.
our PP system was broken ...enter the zone, pass to JT on the side boards, and he back passes to the defense ...same thing over and over, and that back pass got intercepted 90% of the time because everyone expected it, and they just kept doping it over and over.
whole coaching staff needs to go.
when they were setup they looked okay, but, their entry was horrible, but they also didnt have a repeatable plan.
Oilers, Drais in position for 1-timer, Hyman in front of the net, with the bomb at the point, and McD drawing all the defenders to open one of those 3 options up, and its a goal.

Leafs, pass, rotate, pass, rotate, dont shoot, pass and rotate some more. ...finally pass to Matthews when he's up against the side boards and has no shot, or pass to someone in double coverage.
it was just sad at the end. Seeing Matthews with his stick in the air waiting for the 1-timer pass and the puck going to the other side way too often.
Washington has had the exact same PP system for 10+ years and it worked even though everyone knew where the puck was going to end up because they always setup OV for that shot and he barely moved from his spot. Leafs have Matthews who can do the same, but, dont set him up often enough.

when the PP was working they didnt have as much movement and rotations, but, they had to tinker and messed it up huge, and never a point shot doent help either

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I remember when the stars couldn't score because Hyman was "so awful" the other team didn't even need to cover him.

Hyman playoff goals as an Oiler - 23
Matthews career - 23
Marner career - 11
Hyman was a useless (our) shot blocking slug with poor hands when he was here. he got better, and the Oilers PP is like cheat mode with McD and Drais.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Hyman was a useless (our) shot blocking slug with poor hands when he was here. he got better, and the Oilers PP is like cheat mode with McD and Drais.
He had 11 goals the very next playoff after leaving the Leafs. While his development has been impressive he didn't go from useless to top end goal scorer in one summer.

And shouldn't our PP be a cheat code with Marner/Matthews/Nylander/Tavares?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Kind of curious about a Seth Jones for John Tavares swap. Assuming Chicago wants to get out from under his contract that runs till 2029 or 2030, they can have JT for one year at his minimum NHL salary with zero worry about cap. They also have a veteran to put with Bedard for one year. Our risk is Jones will not be a stud number one. Our reward is Jones is a stud number one.

Reactions: JKG33

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad