Proposal: Trades and Tribulations no. 70 (aka no. 69, part 2!)

How many trades will Hughes make by the trading deadline (including Toffoli trade)?

• Toffoli will stand as the only trade.

Votes: 5 2.2%

Votes: 22 9.6%

Votes: 105 45.9%

Votes: 72 31.4%

Votes: 12 5.2%

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • 7 or more

Votes: 5 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Well didn't Hughes basically say that they want a 1st at minimum for Lehkonen? Giving up 2 1sts and eating a shit contract for a player that hasn't even established himself as a real deal top 6 forward is not smart.

Depends on what you project Pelltier to be.

If you project him to be Suzuki, it's not just smart, it's genius smart...

I don't project Pelltier to be Suzuki. But if I project him to be a real top 6 player, I eat Lucic's deal, and sacrifice Lehkonen and a late 1st. Very difficult to get a top 6 forward with a late 1st. Quality over quantity.

McPhees Moustache

Dec 11, 2021
Calgary
That's bad. Chiarot and Lehkonen are expected to return a 1st each. Pelletier is good but not worth 2 1sts. Also that Lucic contract blows.
Being in Calgary and hearing all the Flames radio I think they'd be more interested in moving Monohan than Lucic. Luc is a fan favorite and although overpaid they love what he brings.

Barring an significant injury in their top 4D in the next week I don't think they'll be looking for more than a 7/8 insurance Dman.
A 3C to replace Monohan or bump Backlund down would be the only big move they'll make.
Lehkonen would fit right in to Sutter's style of play as well but don't think they'd pay the required price

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Zacha is a player you trade when you are already a playoff team with depth who wants to play around injuries.
You don't build teams with players like him. Also if im not mistaken Zacha is not a really fast skater
Devils fan here. Saw the Zacha talk so thought I’d see what habs fans are saying. Zacha is actually a very fast skater when he’s on. He’s been good lately but that’s kind of what he’s done to Devils fans for quite a while. He has a really good skillset and goes on stretches where he looks really good and then disappears for long stretches. Doesn’t affect the play enough on a shift by shift basis and doesn’t produce offence consistently enough. He can be pretty good on special teams but not great at 5on5. Kind of player who could end up being a really good top 6 forward with a change of scenery but I wouldn’t count on it.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Depends on what you project Pelltier to be.

If you project him to be Suzuki, it's not just smart, it's genius smart...

I don't project Pelltier to be Suzuki. But if I project him to be a real top 6 player, I eat Lucic's deal, and sacrifice Lehkonen and a late 1st. Very difficult to get a top 6 forward with a late 1st. Quality over quantity.

JP stats in the AHL are very good for a 1st year. Usually such stats at 20 years old indicate a future NHLer and likely a solid top 6 player. Also he did very well at the u20, played well in playoffs in his last junior year at 19 and scored a fair amount of of goals in junior too. He's not the next Ovechkin or the next Kane but he's a very solid prospect and lot of people around here undervalue him because he was not drafted top 10. I'D be very surprised if Calgary let him go and if they do it's because they'll firmly believe the trade could bring a cup.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
There's a difference between expect and want a 1st and won't trade him for less.

LeBrun also said Higues really wants Pelltier

The wording by Lebrun points towards the latter.

He's not trading Lehkonen for a 2nd (or equivalent in raw value).

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Devils fan here. Saw the Zacha talk so thought I’d see what habs fans are saying. Zacha is actually a very fast skater when he’s on. He’s been good lately but that’s kind of what he’s done to Devils fans for quite a while. He has a really good skillset and goes on stretches where he looks really good and then disappears for long stretches. Doesn’t affect the play enough on a shift by shift basis and doesn’t produce offence consistently enough. He can be pretty good on special teams but not great at 5on5. Kind of player who could end up being a really good top 6 forward with a change of scenery but I wouldn’t count on it.

Is Zacha more effective at C or on the wing?

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Thanks for the info, good recap !

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Habs are still very interested to get Jacob Pelletier from the Flames org. Maybe Chiarot OR Lehkonen are Flames' targets.

I have a hard time either of them land Pelletier.

There was a report after Toffoli was traded that Flames and Habs were talking a bigger deal that included both Toffoli and Chiarot. And part of the ask was Pelletier. However, Flames don't want to trade their top prospect (who they see on their NHL roster in not too long). So the deal ended up being just for Toffoli.

So if Toffoli AND Chiarot couldn't land you Pelletier, I highly down Chiarot AND/OR Lehkonen can.

Reactions: habsfan891

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Is Zacha more effective at C or on the wing?
If you ask that in the devils threads 99% will resoundingly say wing and he has historically had more success on the wing. Despite his skillset he doesn’t really drive play very well. If he really figured things out I could see him being good as a Center though. That’s a big if but he has been playing center the last few games and has looked better there than I feel like I’ve seen before even if he hasn’t gotten much in terms of points. Other wise he’s probably better off as a middle 6 winger who can play on the power play and maybe penalty kill.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Why Byron? He wants to play here and has a great work ethic. Would rather move Armia and Hoffman if the opportunity can be had. Drouin too but I doubt there’d be a taker.
Agreed on Byron, but thinking his age just doesn't fit with the new agenda.....if we could get rid of Armia keeping Byron is no big deal at all.
Thinking Hoffman could be on the move also.......................No one other than LA may bite on JD, and we all know why. Even LA, would be highly unlikely to do this......

Reactions: Runner77

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If you ask that in the devils threads 99% will resoundingly say wing and he has historically had more success on the wing. Despite his skillset he doesn’t really drive play very well. If he really figured things out I could see him being good as a Center though. That’s a big if but he has been playing center the last few games and has looked better there than I feel like I’ve seen before even if he hasn’t gotten much in terms of points. Other wise he’s probably better off as a middle 6 winger who can play on the power play and maybe penalty kill.

Sounds a bit like Jonathan Drouin, or Benoit Pouliot who never ended up figuring it out.

Is he soft along the wall?

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This must mean a deal is real close. And that the smart thing from here on out is to sit him.

Edmundson should play this week since there are no back-to-backs. They have Schueneman. And Anthony Marcotte (Laval's pxp guy) said that Belpedio is also with the Habs because he saw him in the video of the players going back in the room yesterday and fist bumping. So that is another D they can use if need be.
Or, it can also mean no deal was close. That article is relying on Dreger — there have to be caveats. ;-)

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I wonder if Chiarot ends up in Colorado... He would surely be a huge upgrade on Jack Johnson. The Avs have plenty of mobility on the backend but not enough toughness. Sakic should know first hand you need some clout back there if you hope to go far.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
That's bad. Chiarot and Lehkonen are expected to return a 1st each. Pelletier is good but not worth 2 1sts. Also that Lucic contract blows.

This is actually far from being bad. Pelletier is worth more than a 1st by himself. He's actually developing quite well and is closer to having an impact in the big league than pretty much anyone you would draft at the end of the 1st round this season or next would.

As for Lehkonen, I just don't buy that this guy is going to fetch a 1st round pick. His upside simply doesn't warrant it.

Lucic's contract blows but he doesn't have many years left, and you'd get an "A" prospect in the process for a bottom-6 player and a UFA-to-be. This is something you have to run with if you're Hughes and if you get offered it.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He is yes. He’s big but he doesn’t use his size very often or well and loses battles.

From a Devil's fan's perspective, that has the Devils' best interest at heart, what would you look to get for Zacha?

A Jonathan Drouin for Zacha type of swap? That is another potential top 6 forward. Or more of an Arturi Lehkonen for Zacha type swap? That is a really good 3rd liner.

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
I don't buy the "Hughes really wants Pelletier" angle.

We were under no stress to move Toffoli. We could've waited till the deadline. We could've waited till the draft. We could've waited till next year.

He had muliple years remaining on a great contract and was not forcing his way out.

The only reason to move him at that exact moment is because we got the deal we wanted. And the deal we wanted did not include Pelletier.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Didn't find a roster thread... but my question is, is Allen ready for tomorrow or is montembault still in goal?

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
From a Devil's fan's perspective, that has the Devils' best interest at heart, what would you look to get for Zacha?

A Jonathan Drouin for Zacha type of swap? That is another potential top 6 forward. Or more of an Arturi Lehkonen for Zacha type swap? That is a really good 3rd liner.
I’d probably like us to ideally get a solid middle 6 forward who’s good defensively, can play up if needed and isn’t slow. And who is around the same age and we wouldn’t lose for a while. A winger with some top 6 potential if things go right wouldn’t be bad either. It’s probably time for the devils to move on from Zacha though and a change of scenery could do him good. He is however doing a pretty decent job right now of filling in with Hischier out.

Reactions: Runner77

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't buy the "Hughes really wants Pelletier" angle.

We were under no stress to move Toffoli. We could've waited till the deadline. We could've waited till the draft. We could've waited till next year.

He had muliple years remaining on a great contract and was not forcing his way out.

The only reason to move him at that exact moment is because we got the deal we wanted. And the deal we wanted did not include Pelletier.

Or, Hughes was convinced Pelltier wasn't on the table and wouldn't be...

I'm puzzled why we moved Toffoli so quickly. I'm guessing Hughes wanted to have at least two 1sts in the upcoming draft and didn't want to risk Toffoli's stock falling, so he pulled the trigger. Seemed rushed to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad