Rumor: Trade Thread XVII: Callahan's Reckoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
New thread. Also, I have gone away from angry responses to people who I felt undervalued the captain's worth. Half of my time was spent trying to convince people that they were wrong.

It happens. I'm trying to stay as emotionally detached as possible.

Besides, she really DID get hot. Although methinks there is some serious makeup and airbrushing going on with that particular shot. But still - yikes.

Back on topic, here are the guys that are currently up for UFA at year's end:

Callahan
Boyle
Pouliot
Boyle
Carcillo

Girardi
Stralman

IMO, all of them are valuable enough that they should either be re-signed soon or dealt at the deadline - with the exception of Carcillo and possibly Pouliot.

The others a) may be asking too much money, b) are replaceable from within (although not without suffering a hit in the standings, if you actually moved them ALL, I grant you) and c) could fetch enough in a trade that it behooves the team to move them if they are not going to sign for what management believes to be acceptable cap hits. Ideally, you prioritize 2-4 that you really want, lock 'em up, and move the others - and the team moves on without really missing a beat.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I'd like to keep D. Moore, eh on Carcillo, if Boyle takes a good deal I keep him, Pouliot I'm not sure.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Would be nice if we could keep a bottom 6 in tact rather than always changing it completley in the offseason.

This

and I think a bottom 6 of Pouilot-Brassard-Zucc (they are great together), Carcillo-Moore-Dorsett could be a very good bottom 6 depending on the top 6...

BarbaraAlphanse

I wonder if the agent leaked the 7 year 6 mill figure to try and get fan support for his player and if it backfired and now the Rangers are leaking the higher estimated figures to show the agent that he's not even worth remotely close to that.

Also, besides the promising talks that Girardi was being resigned last week... it seems pretty bleak now, with reporters stating he'll also be happy to wait it out till free agency.

What to do... what to do...

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
I want to get Pouliot signed before the off-season. He'll sign cheap, like he always has, but I don't want to risk some idiot offering him like 4mil and losing him

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
In my opinion, there are 3 players that must be signed or traded. Can't walk. Callahan, Girardi, Stralman.

Boyle, Moore, Pouliot - I fully expect them tp play out the year and that's ok, even if they end up walking. They wouldn't return much anyway. Ride it out and decide who you want to sign in the offseason.

their D is pretty set right now. I cant see Stralman going even if he walks. It makes sense to let him walk, try and win this yr and let McIlrath take the spot next yr

As someone stated Hank and Nash are not here to hang out. They are going to try and win.

IF they deal Cally they are going to get a replacement this yr like Stewart Plus future assets

I Am Chariot

One shift at a time
Mar 19, 2006
If Ryan Callahans agent is asking for 6.5 mill 7 years....he doesn't want to be a Ranger.

Not sure who is going to give him that deal on the open market either. That deal needs to go to an elite player. Ryan is a solid player when he's not injured, but he's not elite.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I want to get Pouliot signed before the off-season. He'll sign cheap, like he always has, but I don't want to risk some idiot offering him like 4mil and losing him

Pouliott hasn't been able to stick on one team, hes been a 1 yr and out............I would be 2 yrs, 3.5 total and hes thrilled to stay

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
The bottom 6 are the biggest reason why this team turned the season around.

Why break them up. For the first time in decades the Rangers roll four lines and have gotten scoring from all of them the last month or so.

Look back to 2012. Sather's biggest move was John Scott. He liked that team and they came two wins from the SCF.

I dont think he makes any changes. I think Klein was it. I don't agree with that strategy, but I'm prepared for the news that both Callahan and Girardi are re-upped barring any major offer that any GM would be forced not to turn down.

Could be a strategic blunder. We'll see.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
If we can get Poo to resign at just over a 1 mill AAV great, but I think we can do better and don't want to go into next season relying on him playing an integral part in our offense. If Callahan is moved and guys like Boyle, Kreider, Stralman dont get absurd contracts I think we can afford around 3-4 mil on a second line winger.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
This

and I think a bottom 6 of Pouilot-Brassard-Zucc (they are great together), Carcillo-Moore-Dorsett could be a very good bottom 6 depending on the top 6...

The bottom-6 isn't going to last into next season. Brassard and Zuccarello are likely going to be in the top-6.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
The fact that Sather would go as high as 30 million is bad enough. The most I would go is 5 year, for 25 million. He simply needs to stop shelling out these types of contracts. He essentially handed Lundqvist a blank check and the Nash contract is awful.

At least we're buying out Richards at the end of the year.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
The bottom 6 are the biggest reason why this team turned the season around.

Why break them up. For the first time in decades the Rangers roll four lines and have gotten scoring from all of them the last month or so.

Look back to 2012. Sather's biggest move was John Scott. He liked that team and they came two wins from the SCF.

I dont think he makes any changes. I think Klein was it. I don't agree with that strategy, but I'm prepared for the news that both Callahan and Girardi are re-upped barring any major offer that any GM would be forced not to turn down.

Could be a strategic blunder. We'll see.

Could be? I think you're putting your head in the sand here.

Sather isn't caving into those demands for either player. It doesn't look like they're accepting what was offered. Sather closed the door on many players in the past who were successful here... Jagr, Nylander, Avery, Zherdev to a lesser degree.

The Rangers have a chance to set themselves up to be a dynamic team in the coming years with the right deals here. To sign both Callahan and Girardi, at those prices just ensures they stay "good enough"

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Wondering if the same posters who say that intangibles can be replaced are the same who have said that we underestimated the intangibles that Prust and Dubinsky brought to the team.

Except Cally is not the Cally of even 2 years ago. The guy doesn't bring that many intangibles. I do worry about our PK. It's been leaky recently. They shut the Isles out but looked bad on every PK last game and the goal the Isles scored came right after their PP.

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
Losing Stralman for nothing would be obscene, the man needs to be resigned. Trading for Klein, only then to lose Stralman, is a net zero. Having Girardi, Klein and Stralman on the right side with McI/Allen pushing for a spot is an immensely better position to be in rather than Girardi and Klein and hoping that one of McI or Allen is ready for 3rd pairing time.

The other players I'm less concerned about, but I feel one of Moore/Boyle needs to get dealt. I'm a big fan of Lindberg and think he's ready for 4th line center duties and I personally think that's where he should be developing now. People are worried that he'd be getting 7 minutes a night, but I disagree. Centers usually get more playing time, I think his playing time would be around 11 mins/game (something similar to Boyle or Moore, isn't it?) We'd still have one of Boyle/Moore around too as insurance.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Trjxw brought up a great point before the last thread closed. It wouldn't shock me if Stewart's name was leaked in order to bolster his own value, i.e. other GM's think "wow, Stewart is going to be a main piece in a deal for Callahan, he must be worth a lot". I highly doubt that if Callahan is traded, they actually trade with St. Louis.

Recent weather forecasts are calling for over two feet of snow possible for the NYC metro area on Thursday into Friday. The deadline to get something done may be closer to Wednesday than the 3pm Friday roster freeze. Hard to believe I may be attending Ryan Callahan's last game as a Ranger tomorrow night.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Wouldn't put it past Sather to move Callahan to the Blues for Stewart to get a tangible asset that he can move during the off season or next year at some point, hes running out of time a lateral move like that buys more time and allows him to set his sights on signing the rest of our guys.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
The larger issue is because Nash is paid $7.8, Callahan can't get $6.5...at least not from the NY Rangers.

Callahan can't get paid that much, because nor even sather is that dumb.

If Callahan is making 6.5mil, Nash should be making like 9.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad