Rumor: Trade Thread XVII: Callahan's Reckoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slick Rick 61

Jul 11, 2007
No we wouldnt have. Sather does not operate that way....look at history of his trades, other than the Carter for Jagr deal, you dont see many big deals coming (and some one would argue they didnt see the jagr deal coming):

McDonagh deal no one saw coming

Gaborik deal last year didnt see coming.

Even the Clowe deal was no sure thing and not a ton of open coverage around it...heck clowe turned down a deal to SJ before coming to us

Del Zotto for Klein.

Sather is tight lipped with this stuff. May be why he does so well with trades. Only the Nash deal was well documented.

I'm not talking about from the Ranger org. When it comes to deals, NOTHING gets leaked from the Rangers side. But when it came to Richards, Nash, and Bobby Ryan, there were persistent rumors coming from the media for months. And I'm talking about the reputable National guys.

Sather only uses the media to negotiate with his RFA's.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Exactly, he's a passenger. Zuke and Nash have been carrying the team and they both play RW.

Callahan is done with the Rangers, time to move on and hope we can cash in on the best deal available. No player is bigger than the club.

Nevermind that you've given zero argument for the bold, despite clear numbers arguing otherwise...

Rick Nash? Carry this team? HA. Mother, ****ing, HA.

Rick Nash had a 9 game streak where he was always scoring, and hasn't been seen before or since. As usual, when he's not scoring, he's a complete non-factor, which actually shows up on the scoresheet considering Rick Nash has notched a grand total of ONE (1) assist in his last TWENTY (20) games.

Rick Nash carry this team? The superstar walking highlight reel with 3 more points than "3rd liner" Ryan Callahan in the EXACT SAME NUMBER OF GAMES. Despite ALL of the time in the world on the powerplay?

Rick Nash carry this team? Give me a ****ing break. That guy can barely carry himself to the rink most nights, and on the rare occasion that he DOES decide to play hockey and actually contribute, you can guarantee for every goal he scores he'll have at least one giveaway in the neutral zone that leads to a goal against.

Zucc has done a great amount for this team this year. But Rick ****ing Nash? Guy has been the textbook definition of Country Club. Maybe if he weren't so terrified of throwing/taking a hit, he'd be effective again, but personally, I'm betting on him wilting again come playoff time.

Punxrocknyc19*

I agree. I hate to say it. I think he gets his home send off at MSG tomorrow and that's it. Sather doesn't want to risk him getting hurt at the Olympics.

imagine if he got hurt tomorrow. maybe he could be dealt in the morning :help:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Nevermind that you've given zero argument for the bold, despite clear numbers arguing otherwise...

Rick Nash? Carry this team? HA. Mother, ****ing, HA.

Rick Nash had a 9 game streak where he was always scoring, and hasn't been seen before or since. As usual, when he's not scoring, he's a complete non-factor, which actually shows up on the scoresheet considering Rick Nash has notched a grand total of ONE (1) assist in his last TWENTY (20) games.

Rick Nash carry this team? The superstar walking highlight reel with 3 more points than "3rd liner" Ryan Callahan in the EXACT SAME NUMBER OF GAMES. Despite ALL of the time in the world on the powerplay?

Rick Nash carry this team? Give me a ****ing break. That guy can barely carry himself to the rink most nights, and on the rare occasion that he DOES decide to play hockey and actually contribute, you can guarantee for every goal he scores he'll have at least one giveaway in the neutral zone that leads to a goal against.

Zucc has done a great amount for this team this year. But Rick ****ing Nash? Guy has been the textbook definition of Country Club. Maybe if he weren't so terrified of throwing/taking a hit, he'd be effective again, but personally, I'm betting on him wilting again come playoff time.
I had been very upset with Nash's play for awhile but we have to remember he was coming back from another concussion. You need to relax. Nash has certainly had far more of an impact than Callahan has. Nash opens up much more space for his teammates and he finishes 100x better than Callahan. The other guy is wrong in calling cally a "passenger" but he certainly has not been involved enough, at least physically, this year. I know he was banged up, but in the last 3-4 years he has endured some tough injuries because of the type of game he plays. He simply cant be given the contract he is looking for.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Realistically, what will Ott be looking at this offseason?

He intrigues me. Resupplies what we lost with Cally. Then again has he ever been part of a winning team?

Ott has way too many intangibles to be a UFA target, he is going to be waaay overpaid this summer.

If there is one type of player that gets overpaid, it's the UFA with intangibles - just look at Callahan's salary demands.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I'm not talking about from the Ranger org. When it comes to deals, NOTHING gets leaked from the Rangers side. But when it came to Richards, Nash, and Bobby Ryan, there were persistent rumors coming from the media for months. And I'm talking about the reputable National guys.

Sather only uses the media to negotiate with his RFA's.

I'm not sure what you are getting at. RFAs have nothing to do with this situation and didnt with the previous traded i mentioned. You said there are a lack of rumors out there in general in the post i quoted. I responded by saying the same thing happened with the previous trades i listed to infer that i see no reason to believe a trade wouldnt happen just bc theres no "rumors"

Slick Rick 61

Jul 11, 2007
I'm not sure what you are getting at. RFAs have nothing to do with this situation and didnt with the previous traded i mentioned. You said there are a lack of rumors out there in general in the post i quoted. I responded by saying the same thing happened with the previous trades i listed to infer that i see no reason to believe a trade wouldnt happen just bc theres no "rumors"

Richards, Nash, and Ryan were 3 big rumored deals, with lots of leaks, but none seemingly from the NYR camp.

The only time we ever hear anything of substance from the NYR side is when they get in contract dispute with their non-arb RFA's. That's what I meant.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
I had been very upset with Nash's play for awhile but we have to remember he was coming back from another concussion. You need to relax. Nash has certainly had far more of an impact than Callahan has. Nash opens up much more space for his teammates and he finishes 100x better than Callahan. The other guy is wrong in calling cally a "passenger" but he certainly has not been involved enough, at least physically, this year. I know he was banged up, but in the last 3-4 years he has endured some tough injuries because of the type of game he plays. He simply cant be given the contract he is looking for.

I don't mean to argue that Ryan Callahan is as valuable as Rick Nash. I'm a fan of Cally's but I'm not insane.

Rick Nash is a stellar goalscorer, but that's really all I'm willing to grant him. He hasn't been opening up space, he certainly hasn't been passing the puck well (again, 20 games, 1 assist). If he played with half the effort and intensity that Cally, or Zucc, or even Hagelin play with, he'd be an elite player. Instead he's the Canadian Bobby Ryan. Can't spell intense. He's a bigger Gaborik with better hands and slower feet. That's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad