Speculation: Trade Speculators, Continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semak

I really hope Zidlicky is gone next year. Yes he brings that unique element to our defense, but man he is awful to watch in our end. He's always out muscled which causes him to take those stupid penalties. I'd rather he get traded over Tallinder at this point.

Nice two year stop gap but with Greene regaining offensive confidence, Larsson growing and barring a trade, Urbom and Gelinas knocking on the door, I don't see him coming back.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I really hope Zidlicky is gone next year. Yes he brings that unique element to our defense, but man he is awful to watch in our end. He's always out muscled which causes him to take those stupid penalties. I'd rather he get traded over Tallinder at this point.

I think you'll probably get your wish. He is getting older and we have the prospect depth to replace him from within.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I hope to get rid of Tallinder too just to shed the salary. He could be replaced by a $900k grand in rookie in Urbom, or Gelinas too. Total savings of around $2.5 million at least in the cap hit.

NJD1982

Mar 31, 2007
I hope to get rid of Tallinder too just to shed the salary. He could be replaced by a $900k grand in rookie in Urbom, or Gelinas too. Total savings of around $2.5 million at least in the cap hit.

Aren't Tallinder and Zids on the final year of their contracts anyway?

I don't expect either to come back but we're looking at a really green defense next year if Gelinas and Urbom are expected to fill those shoes.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
We're not going to get rid of everybody all at once. Continuity is an important thing for a defensive corps. You start replacing too many guys in too short a time and it falls apart.

NHL Fanatik*

Just a random thought from reading around HFBoards, but...

CALGARY receives:
- 2nd Pick

NJ receives:
- Cammalleri

Or if a 2nd is too much of a risk, maybe a 3rd or 4th and prospect

Thoughts?

Calgary is likely to make some change, and Cammalleri isn't playing well, but maybe a complete change of scenery would do some good. Also, maybe a new system could help his game as well; I still see the potential there. Contract wise, it is a hit to the cap, but if we are going for a cup and we can't seem to get a better trade... Do you do it?

Just an idea.

EDIT: Him being a center, we could move another centerman to wing, or have him on the wing, if that isn't a far-fetched idea. I know we would prefer a top 6 Winger, preferably LW...

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I don't expect either to come back but we're looking at a really green defense next year if Gelinas and Urbom are expected to fill those shoes.

Tallinder is up in 2014.

Remember though if Zidlicky goes, but Tallinder doesn't we won't even be bringing either up. Cause then we'll have 7 defensemen, and even if Harrold don't stay I don't see using Urbom, or Gelinas as the number 7.

So yes we can afford to get rid of both, because only one of Gelinas or Urbom will be up with a healthy roster. If we keep Tallinder and part with Zids, neither Urbom nor Gelinas will be likely be up.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We're not going to get rid of everybody all at once. Continuity is an important thing for a defensive corps. You start replacing too many guys in too short a time and it falls apart.

Remember though we have 8 guys right now. We only need to replace one of them come next year if we were to get rid of both of them. I see no need to keep Tallinder around after this year. If Tallinder is kept around then none of the younger D men will be up unless it's in a number 7 role. I don't see them in a number 8 role unless they're temporary call ups.

Larsson, Greene, Fayne, Volch, Sal, Tallinder. That's our top 6 if Tallinder stays. Replace Tallinder with Gelinas, and I think we're fine. Not sure what the big deal is. Tallinder could possibly ask for his trade before long anyway.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Remember though we have 8 guys right now. We only need to replace one of them come next year if we were to get rid of both of them. I see no need to keep Tallinder around after this year. If Tallinder is kept around then none of the younger D men will be up unless it's in a number 7 role. I don't see them in a number 8 role unless they're temporary call ups.

Larsson, Greene, Fayne, Volch, Sal, Tallinder. That's our top 6 if Tallinder stays. Replace Tallinder with Gelinas, and I think we're fine. Not sure what the big deal is. Tallinder could possibly ask for his trade before long anyway.

Well, I wasn't just talking to you. There are folks above saying that we should be getting rid of Zid, Sal, and Volch too. We can handle the turnover of one defenceman per year, maybe two, but not four in such a short period.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

CALGARY receives:
- 2nd Pick

NJ receives:
- Cammalleri

Thoughts?

Calgary is likely to make some change, and Cammalleri isn't playing well, but maybe a complete change of scenery would do some good. Also, maybe a new system could help his game as well; I still see the potential there. Contract wise, it is a hit to the cap, but if we are going for a cup and we can't seem to get a better trade... Do you do it?

Just an idea.

EDIT: Him being a center, we could move another centerman to wing, or have him on the wing, if that isn't a far-fetched idea. I know we would prefer a top 6 Winger, preferably LW...

No way Calgary would trade him for that return. They'd be looking at a least a prospect plus a second, probably even asking for a first. He's a good player, a very good playoff player, that's had a rough go-around lately.

I'd love to see him here, but we don't have the assets to pull it off unless we center something around Tallinder and a defensive prospect.

Tallinder is up in 2014.

Remember though if Zidlicky goes, but Tallinder doesn't we won't even be bringing either up. Cause then we'll have 7 defensemen, and even if Harrold don't stay I don't see using Urbom, or Gelinas as the number 7.

So yes we can afford to get rid of both, because only one of Gelinas or Urbom will be up with a healthy roster. If we keep Tallinder and part with Zids, neither Urbom nor Gelinas will be likely be up.

I don't think Zidlicky comes back either. I think if we don't trade Tallinder this year, like if a good trade comes up that gives us a top six forward in return, then he's gone in the offseason maybe even for picks at the draft. Although I think in the offseason, there's a good chance Lou unloads someone like Volchenkov to our surprise for a great return. It leaves us with a defense of:

Greene-Larsson
Salvador-Fayne
Volchenkov-????
????

If the Devils are content on bringing up both Gelinas and Urbom, then they just leave it as is. If not, maybe we bring back a guy like Harrold to give us that reliability factor as a 7th D.

NHL Fanatik*

I like that idea of Cammalleri. It's gonna cost more than a 2nd, though.

You're right, I was half asleep when making that post haha, but I'd say a second pik and a prospect; not a 1st though

Possibly a package? Cammalleri for 2nd and Josefson (if he does not start producing) ? Maybe a defensive prospect if that is what they are looking for.

Call me weird, but I think Cammalleri needs a change of scenery, and I mean country... NJ might do him good, different system and such

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
Correct me if I'm wrong, I think the coaching staff like Tallinder for his teaching abilities. Other than that there is no reason to keep him. In fact I think trading him does more good than bad because we need more money for Clarkson and a free agent/Zids.

If Cams 6 mil contract ends at the end of the season I wouldnt mind it but I think management is looking for a replacement for Butler.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
"When time's on your side, you use it."

Lou's going to wisely wait for the trading deadline to make a decision IMO. That doesn't make a lot of sense to trade Tallinder now. A defence-man on the team could be injured and Lou doesn't want to look like a fool. Also, it's too early for any other team to make a desperate move for a playoffs push.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Not that I necessarily want Tallinder and Zid's to go, but if they both did, it would really only open up one spot in the lineup.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
Always been a big fan of Cammalleri. His personality and straightforward offensive game, his shot in particular. But that contract... one more year at 6m for an underachieving smallish winger, who should be a goal scorer more than anything. I don`t know. A change of scenery should definitely help him though. Enough of this table tennis game between Montreal and Calgary.

Just a fun idea to speculate about, but what number would Lou give him? We haven`t had anyone to wear #13 ever (feel free to correct me if I`m wrong) and the last time we brought a notable veteran who had a non-Devil number (let`s say >30) was... Mogilny?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
"When time's on your side, you use it."

Lou's going to wisely wait for the trading deadline to make a decision IMO. That doesn't make a lot of sense to trade Tallinder now. A defence-man on the team could be injured and Lou doesn't want to look like a fool. Also, it's too early for any other team to make a desperate move for a playoffs push.

But does Tallinder sitting on the pine for 2 months hurt his trade value?

And given we still have Harrold, and numerous options in Albany I don't see depth as a deal killer.

If a good deal is on the table, u take it.

apice3*

If Cams 6 mil contract ends at the end of the season I wouldnt mind it but I think management is looking for a replacement for Butler.

I don't think replacing Bobby Butler is anywhere near Lou's list of priorities.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I think we're gonna see a whole lot of line juggling going on before Lou pulls the trigger on another forward. If/when that second line gets broken up, things could get really interesting.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto

CALGARY receives:
- 2nd Pick

NJ receives:
- Cammalleri

Thoughts?

Just an idea.

He can play LW, Calgary just moved him to center cuz they aren't deep there. I would definitely do that deal. He is a ppg player so far this season. Calgary would likely want more though. We have a ton of cap space.

hlaverty06

Feb 11, 2012
NJ all day
This is what I see happening

Harrold goes to a team like Ottawa or someone for a mid pick (4th probably)

The reason I say this is because he's a #8D here, and we have plenty of guys waiting in the wings. Then we turn around and trade Tallinder+Tedenby for a 2nd line winger

Next years D would be

Greene-Larsson
Salvador-Fayne
Volchenkov-Urbom
UFA signing(don't want an AHL player whose in development at the 7th D,sitting)

apice3*

Harrold is a perfect #7 D-man. He can come in and play 15 minutes a night with no problem. Can also sub at wing in dire emergencies. Solid PP option too if one of the PP d-men go down with an injury. Plus he's on a contract close to or at the minimum. Trading him makes no sense. The return won't be worth what he brings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad