Trade Scenarios for Kamloops

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Checklist

Top 6 Forward
Goaltender
Defenseman

This will not involve Bedard as I'm starting to think he's not going anywhere.

Trade Scenario 1

Michael Schnattinger, 2 1st round picks, 2nd and Ashton Tait for Jesper Vikman and Zach Ostapchuk

Trade Scenario 2

Vincent Iorio gets sent back to the dub, and gives the Blazers their number 1 d-man.

1st and 3rd round pick for Vincent Iorio

Trade Scenariio 3

Englot and a pick to Edmonton for Jaxsen Wiebe

Ostapchuk-Stankoven-Levis
Kuefler-Minten-Bankier
Van Olm-Wiebe-Seminoff
Ferster-Sydor-Finnie-MacPherson-Ridgewell

Masters-Brandwood
Iorio-Bairos
Hammell-Sarrell-Michael-Pearce

Vikman-Ernst

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
Regina trading their 2024 1st (and a 2nd+3rd) to SEA for Oremba is going to prove to be a very misguided attempt at trying to make the team better around Bedard. They are so far from being a high caliber team even with Bedard, they should have traded him for a haul, but I understand why the owner wouldn't want to when Bedard is selling out every arena he plays in. Oremba is 2-3-5 in 15GP since arriving in REG, with REG going 7-7-1 in that time. They now have no 1st in 2023 or 2024, and are going to have to battle to make the playoffs this year, and certainly won't have Bedard next year. Oh well, Bedard is still awesome to watch, so regardless of where he plays, he's going to be drawing crowds.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Seeing these prices, would be fun to put a package together for Bedard.

3 1st round picks, 2 2nds, 3rd, 4th, Levis, for Bedard.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I don’t even know if Kamloops has the assets to pull off a move like that.

The only comparable move in CHL history is when John Tavares went from Oshawa to London.

Here was the trade:

John Tavares
Michael Del Zotto
Darryl Borden

for

Christian Thomas
Scott Valentine
Michael Zador
4x2nds
2x 3rds

For context - Thomas was thought of as one of the best 16 year olds in the OHL at the time - it would be as if Bedard brought in a top-15 2006 born WHL bantam pick.

Scott Valentine was a highly thought of 17 year old defender in his draft season.

Michael Zador was one of the more highly touted goalie prospects in the OHL at the time of the deal - it‘s just London had a 19 year old Trevor Cann as a their starter (Colorado 2nd rounder 2 years prior.

and those picks are probably the equivalent to 2-3 1st rounders if the OHL allowed teams to trade 1st round picks.

Let’s say Kamloops one stop shops and gets both Bedard AND Svozil.

They’re looking at a Levis, Sarell, multiple firsts and maybe even a handshake deal for Minten going to Regina next year.

Nonetheless, it‘ll be a MASSIVE trade.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
I don’t even know if Kamloops has the assets to pull off a move like that.

The only comparable move in CHL history is when John Tavares went from Oshawa to London.

Here was the trade:

John Tavares
Michael Del Zotto
Darryl Borden

for

Christian Thomas
Scott Valentine
Michael Zador
4x2nds
2x 3rds

For context - Thomas was thought of as one of the best 16 year olds in the OHL at the time - it would be as if Bedard brought in a top-15 2006 born WHL bantam pick.

Scott Valentine was a highly thought of 17 year old defender in his draft season.

Michael Zador was one of the more highly touted goalie prospects in the OHL at the time of the deal - it‘s just London had a 19 year old Trevor Cann as a their starter (Colorado 2nd rounder 2 years prior.

and those picks are probably the equivalent to 2-3 1st rounders if the OHL allowed teams to trade 1st round picks.

Let’s say Kamloops one stop shops and gets both Bedard AND Svozil.

They’re looking at a Levis, Sarell, multiple firsts and maybe even a handshake deal for Minten going to Regina next year.

Nonetheless, it‘ll be a MASSIVE trade.
You I don't think are far off. I don't think anyone has that package, although Kamloops has 5 1st rounders over the course of 3 years.
Maybe a trade for just Svozil

BE Friend

Jul 16, 2021
I assume the Pats GM has one exclusion in his contract, A Bedard trade has to be discussed first with ownership. Certainly unique situation. That asset will be gone in 4 months. Their home gate is not 100% sellout. If he does well at Juniors trade value only gets higher. Only reason to keep is sentimental value at this point. If the team was upper tier with a real chance to go far post season then you have an argument.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I assume the Pats GM has one exclusion in his contract, A Bedard trade has to be discussed first with ownership. Certainly unique situation. That asset will be gone in 4 months. Their home gate is not 100% sellout. If he does well at Juniors trade value only gets higher. Only reason to keep is sentimental value at this point. If the team was upper tier with a real chance to go far post season then you have an argument.
Agreed if the team had a better record, you for sure entertain keeping him.

Don’t think his trade value can get higher than it is.

He is one of the most valuable players ever to potentially be traded in the CHL.

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
Regina ownership will forever regret not trading Bedard if they force Paddock to hang on to him.

Cheapest tickets for the Pats next home game is $30.50. And Bedard isn't even going to be there because World Junior camp will have started by then. Who in their right mind is paying $30.50 to come watch Sam Oremba? Ownership jacked up ticket prices so much thinking people who throw their money at them to watch Bedard, but they raised them TOO much and their games are half full, if that.

What are you going to do next year after Bedard is gone? Drop ticket prices by 30%? How awful does that look on the organization?

Trading Bedard for the biggest package the WHL has ever seen would allow Regina to expedite their rebuild by 2+ years. This team is in for YEARS of suffering if they don't move him. Awful on-ice product and nobody in the stands because ticket prices are so high is a hard combination to swallow.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

BE Friend

Jul 16, 2021
Lets see if TSN will do some trolling/muckraking on the Dec 2 CHL game with Cougs vs Pats in BC. THE perfect scenario because the clock is running, KAM is gauranteed a MEM cup spot, family would only have 3 hr drive for reg sea games. You know MOM would love that. Could be the biggest CHL news in decades. WIN / WIN for clubs and WIN for TSN ratings. Craig Button should be all over this.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Regina ownership will forever regret not trading Bedard if they force Paddock to hang on to him.

Cheapest tickets for the Pats next home game is $30.50. And Bedard isn't even going to be there because World Junior camp will have started by then. Who in their right mind is paying $30.50 to come watch Sam Oremba? Ownership jacked up ticket prices so much thinking people who throw their money at them to watch Bedard, but they raised them TOO much and their games are half full, if that.

What are you going to do next year after Bedard is gone? Drop ticket prices by 30%? How awful does that look on the organization?

Trading Bedard for the biggest package the WHL has ever seen would allow Regina to expedite their rebuild by 2+ years. This team is in for YEARS of suffering if they don't move him. Awful on-ice product and nobody in the stands because ticket prices are so high is a hard combination to swallow.
Thing is, it's obvious that Kamloops is really taking the time to evaluate things. They don't want to fall in the mold of Swift Current, PA, Saskatoon and absolutely suck for the next 4 years for a week tournament.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

JUSTGIROUXIT

Apr 16, 2020
Thing is, it's obvious that Kamloops is really taking the time to evaluate things. They don't want to fall in the mold of Swift Current, PA, Saskatoon and absolutely suck for the next 4 years for a week tournament.
It will be interesting to see what 'loops ends up doing. With what it would cost to secure Bedard they could be using those assets to really bolster their depth across the board. Gonna be a flurry of activity w/world jrs for sure.

I'm of the mind that if you're guaranteed a ticket to the dance as the host - you owe it to fans and org to go all in.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
It will be interesting to see what 'loops ends up doing. With what it would cost to secure Bedard they could be using those assets to really bolster their depth across the board. Gonna be a flurry of activity w/world jrs for sure.

I'm of the mind that if you're guaranteed a ticket to the dance as the host - you owe it to fans and org to go all in.
Without question.

It happens every year for these teams, some flourish, others flounder. Just don’t go full Saskatoon and screw the franchise over for the next half decade.

Reactions: brentashton

blazers15

Nov 26, 2022
Head coach Clou is really loyal to his players who have been there a while, I can’t see them making a major player for player swap with there 19/20 year olds… hence the picks for Demek. Demek should fit in the top 6 nicely and take some of the scoring off Stanks shoulders.

Whether you agree or not I think the team likes there goaltending… Ernst was shaky to start the year but he’s looked pretty good last 5-6 games. Scnattinger stood on his head in Portland last week, I’d like to see him play more and have a competition for the #1 spot, I think there is real potential there and some competition could push either goalie to that next level.

They need help up front and a defenceman… I like Gannon Laroque of Victoria. Currently injured but due back soon? Plays with a bit of an edge too which we lack…

One of Ryan/Brunicke + 1st + pick might get that done but it’s a sellers market and that’s a nice piece for a contender…

Up front I like Ostapchuk but those giants had a nice run last year knocking Everett in 6 and I think there’s belief there, that they’ll stay put and try and be a playoff team… fair chance he plays as a 20yo too.

Ty Cheveldayoff of Spokane makes a lot of sense to me… 19yo 6’3 power forward with 16 in 20 games. Chase Bertholot equally as intriguing with 24pts in 19 games those are nice numbers. Price wouldn’t be as high as other names and there no value to a weak Chiefs team… Combination of Tait + Finnie + picks might get that done…

It’ll be interesting to see what happens on the CB98 watch!

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Head coach Clou is really loyal to his players who have been there a while, I can’t see them making a major player for player swap with there 19/20 year olds… hence the picks for Demek. Demek should fit in the top 6 nicely and take some of the scoring off Stanks shoulders.

Whether you agree or not I think the team likes there goaltending… Ernst was shaky to start the year but he’s looked pretty good last 5-6 games. Scnattinger stood on his head in Portland last week, I’d like to see him play more and have a competition for the #1 spot, I think there is real potential there and some competition could push either goalie to that next level.

They need help up front and a defenceman… I like Gannon Laroque of Victoria. Currently injured but due back soon? Plays with a bit of an edge too which we lack…

One of Ryan/Brunicke + 1st + pick might get that done but it’s a sellers market and that’s a nice piece for a contIender…

Up front I like Ostapchuk but those giants had a nice run last year knocking Everett in 6 and I think there’s belief there, that they’ll stay put and try and be a playoff team… fair chance he plays as a 20yo too.

Ty Cheveldayoff of Spokane makes a lot of sense to me… 19yo 6’3 power forward with 16 in 20 games. Chase Bertholot equally as intriguing with 24pts in 19 games those are nice numbers. Price wouldn’t be as high as other names and there no value to a weak Chiefs team… Combination of Tait + Finnie + picks might get that done…

It’ll be interesting to see what happens on the CB98 watch!
Ernst is at the top of the league for his play, has been very dependable and starting to look like he's not going anywhere. I'm starting to wonder if the big name they actually try to catch, is Zellweger. That would be a impact statement right there.

Their bottom 6 needs to be upgraded as well. The names you suggested would be solid additions to the bottom 6.

This is the last year for Logan, have to do whatever it takes to give him the best shot at winning.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
The most highly motivated teams won't be the ones at the top of the standings... Winnipeg doesn't need to sell the farm for 98 because they already have all the finesse scorers they need. I'm not saying Bedard couldn't help, but they aren't so desperate that they need to trade years worth of draft picks for him.

Kamloops is obviously the most highly motivated team for Bedard... a middle of the pack team that could get a massive bump to the elite tier with 98, plus give the fans something to get excited about in hopes that they start buying Mem Cup tickets en masse.

I could see other teams in that category make a push for Bedard... the teams that are "almost", but not quite there. Red Deer, Kelowna, etc.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
TThe most highly motivated teams won't be the ones at the top of the standings... Winnipeg doesn't need to sell the farm for 98 because they already have all the finesse scorers they need. I'm not saying Bedard couldn't help, but they aren't so desperate that they need to trade years worth of draft picks for him.

Kamloops is obviously the most highly motivated team for Bedard... a middle of the pack team that could get a massive bump to the elite tier with 98, plus give the fans something to get excited about in hopes that they start buying Mem Cup tickets en masse.

I could see other teams in that category make a push for Bedard... the teams that are "almost", but not quite there. Red Deer, Kelowna, etc.
How is Kamloops middle of the pack? They're +35 in goal differential, 1st in the standings in their division, and only 4 points behind Seattle for 2nd.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
How is Kamloops middle of the pack? They're +35 in goal differential, 1st in the standings in their division, and only 4 points behind Seattle for 2nd.

Haha. Maybe I undersold them a bit. But I'd argue they are still not quite a dominant "team to beat", and getting CB98 would arguably move them into that realm. And they are certainly highly motivated given that that they're the Mem Cup host.

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Haha. Maybe I undersold them a bit. But I'd argue they are still not quite a dominant "team to beat", and getting CB98 would arguably move them into that realm. And they are certainly highly motivated given that that they're the Mem Cup host.
Thing is, I'm not real excited for the years to come. Is it worth having the team drown for 4-5 years and ruining all the good will that's been created?

I just think there's too many pieces that would have to be involved.

hotmic

Dec 5, 2022
Blazers will try and move heaven and earth for Bedard, not sure it happens. If there is a team the Blazers eye for some toughness that can play it would be Brandon. Ward is meaner than a junkyard dog and can play. Henry would be a great pick up who scares the crap out of other teams. No points, but who cares, with how top heavy Kamloops will be, they could afford to waste a roster spot to keep the skill guys safe. Kueffler can fight and bounce guys but should be allowed to just play outside of that Englot isn't good enough as an OA. Someone mentioned Cheveldayoff and he would be a nice pick up as a net front presence who is tough. Back end needs a lot of help, Apell isn't an impact guy, maybe Moose Jaw would move someone from their backend, doubtful, but maybe. Lots of ways to go but Brandon could well be a team that the Blazers deal with. Kamloops needs some grit and back end help, Can't let teams like Van and Sea push them around. Wiebe from Edmonton, Cheveldayoff type guys up front, but they really need a PP quarterback to stop teams from targeting Stankhoven.

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
Blazers will try and move heaven and earth for Bedard, not sure it happens. If there is a team the Blazers eye for some toughness that can play it would be Brandon. Ward is meaner than a junkyard dog and can play. Henry would be a great pick up who scares the crap out of other teams. No points, but who cares, with how top heavy Kamloops will be, they could afford to waste a roster spot to keep the skill guys safe. Kueffler can fight and bounce guys but should be allowed to just play outside of that Englot isn't good enough as an OA. Someone mentioned Cheveldayoff and he would be a nice pick up as a net front presence who is tough. Back end needs a lot of help, Apell isn't an impact guy, maybe Moose Jaw would move someone from their backend, doubtful, but maybe. Lots of ways to go but Brandon could well be a team that the Blazers deal with. Kamloops needs some grit and back end help, Can't let teams like Van and Sea push them around. Wiebe from Edmonton, Cheveldayoff type guys up front, but they really need a PP quarterback to stop teams from targeting Stankhoven.
Ward is not good enough to be a 20 year old on a Memorial Cup team. Let alone the fact the guy can't go 4 shifts without taking a stupid penalty.

Henry is also not good enough to be on a championship-calibre team. This isn't the 80s, you don't need goons. You need guys who can play. Josh Anderson for Swift Current in 17-18 was that mix. Top-4 defenceman, but also manhandled anyone who came near him. You need a mix of both, not one extreme.

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

JUSTGIROUXIT

Apr 16, 2020
Ward is not good enough to be a 20 year old on a Memorial Cup team. Let alone the fact the guy can't go 4 shifts without taking a stupid penalty.

Henry is also not good enough to be on a championship-calibre team. This isn't the 80s, you don't need goons. You need guys who can play. Josh Anderson for Swift Current in 17-18 was that mix. Top-4 defenceman, but also manhandled anyone who came near him. You need a mix of both, not one extreme.
This is 100% correct. Ward is barely good enough to be taking up an OA spot to be brutally honest.

Brandon would have some enticing options otherwise, someone like Brett Hyland ('03) could be a sneaky pickup for a team looking for a solid depth piece. Chaisson (EDM '21) is another 03 that could potentially be available (be one of the better players made avail.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad