Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Laine should have more value than Dubois straight up. He's one of the most talented goal scorers the NHL has seen come into the league since Ovechkin. He's a legit 50G threat beside a top playmaker, which he hasn't gotten the chance to play with yet.

Add Roslovic in and it's a steal for CBJ. They should have had to add in a good young player like Texier/Bemstrom/Foudy along with Dubois at the very least. WPG overpaid massively to fill their hole at #2 long-term.

Roslovic for a 3rd seems about right. He had two full years to make it work in WPG, didn't impress that much and then wanted out. Not a ton of value there but good on Columbus, no harm in giving him a try on a cheap contract.

Laine for Dubois is interesting. I agree that Laine is the more talented player. You look at the numbers, though, and Dubois had just 3 less points over the last two full seasons. Also scored 10 points in 10 playoff games last year. Then there's him being a centre which always seems to hold more value, but even more so for Winnipeg. They've been desperate for a #2 centre for a while and they're stacked on the wing. They knew Laine didn't want to be there long-term, and they already have a ton of money tied up in Ehlers, Wheeler and Connor. It was such a great fit that I don't think Cheveldayoff was going to push his luck by demanding another piece. Maybe he asked for it but if Jarmo says not happening, you either step away and don't get Dubois, or you pull the trigger and land a really good young piece at a position of weakness.

CLB did very well, though. Just like when they got Jones for Johansen. Jarmo was able to identify a team with a strength at one position and a weakness at another, and make the trade with them.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Roslovic for a 3rd seems about right. He had two full years to make it work in WPG, didn't impress that much and then wanted out. Not a ton of value there but good on Columbus, no harm in giving him a try on a cheap contract.

Laine for Dubois is interesting. I agree that Laine is the more talented player. You look at the numbers, though, and Dubois had just 3 less points over the last two full seasons. Also scored 10 points in 10 playoff games last year. Then there's him being a centre which always seems to hold more value, but even more so for Winnipeg. They've been desperate for a #2 centre for a while and they're stacked on the wing. They knew Laine didn't want to be there long-term, and they already have a ton of money tied up in Ehlers, Wheeler and Connor. It was such a great fit that I don't think Cheveldayoff was going to push his luck by demanding another piece. Maybe he asked for it but if Jarmo says not happening, you either step away and don't get Dubois, or you pull the trigger and land a really good young piece at a position of weakness.

CLB did very well, though. Just like when they got Jones for Johansen. Jarmo was able to identify a team with a strength at one position and a weakness at another, and make the trade with them.
I'd rather have given up a 2nd for Roslovic than Stepan

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Terrible trade for Winnipeg and I wouldn't be surprised if Laine had more goals in the next few years than Dubois has total points. Sold unbelievably low on this incredible goal-scoring talent while simultaneously buying high on a guy with a limited top end ceiling. Oh well, I guess we'll see how this thing plays out through their prime years.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Terrible trade for Winnipeg and I wouldn't be surprised if Laine had more goals in the next few years than Dubois has total points. Sold unbelievably low on this incredible goal-scoring talent while simultaneously buying high on a guy with a limited top end ceiling. Oh well, I guess we'll see how this thing plays out through their prime years.

Dubois's ceiling is also very high and I suspect that he'll emerge as a star in Winnipeg((if he stays there, that is).

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Isn't it interesting that Laine is clearly the better point producer & yet the good big tough centre seems to have cost more. Should help both teams if both these guys enjoy their new environments which is not at all clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad