Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Las Vegas Exp Part 2: Mo Defence, Mo Problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
this is probably the long term Eberle outlook here:

-Trade him now for Strome +

-Trade him next season for a 2nd

-Keep him two seasons and he walks for nothing

Everyone here, even Eberle fans, will acknowledge that Eberle wasn't very good for us, and certainly not worth his cap hit. Keeping him is not awful, but moving him for long term assets and cap space now makes a lot of sense too. Chia is GM so he has to make hard decisions like this, but I get that fans just want us to always keep all our players
Eberle will almost assuredly fetch a 1st round pick on the last year of his deal at the deadline.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Stome + junk for Eberle would be abysmal, I'm raging just thinking about it. Strome is awful, he's all the things people here hate about Eberle but he doesn't produce and costs less.

You're stumbled on the main ****ing reason that people are trying to drive Eberle out of the city. He's played quite well for us despite not being able to find chemistry with McDavid in the past two years, but people can't get over the fact that he had a poor playoffs, and so it's time to jettison him. I also think that some people unconsciously or otherwise seem to believe that since Hall was traded, all of the other young players who were supposed to be our core need to be cleaned out as well. Hence why Eberle is this year's whipping boy, alongside Nuge.

All of the stats are out there ready for anyone to see that Eberle played well, given the minutes and linemates he was playing with this season. Couple that with his below-average shooting % and the fact that he was one of the better players at shot in high danger areas on the team, and what you get is people using emotion instead of logic to value someone.

He's got no future on our team at his price tag, no one is arguing that. But the below bolded from "Mr Positive" (may wanna change that name) is absolute garbage. I've said it before and I'll say it again, trading him now and then scrambling to find another RW to make up for his points is just stupid. Strome hasn't proven that he is that player at this point, and if Ebs is traded I hope its in a package (with a small add) to get a good dman, as opposed to trading for an inferior replacement forward. Would rather have Williams or Sharp etc etc and a top 4 D then Strome and a ****** UFA dman.

Everyone here, even Eberle fans, will acknowledge that Eberle wasn't very good for us, and certainly not worth his cap hit. Keeping him is not awful, but moving him for long term assets and cap space now makes a lot of sense too. Chia is GM so he has to make hard decisions like this, but I get that fans just want us to always keep all our players

Funny thing is, if this team missed the playoffs like most people thought we would, Eberle wouldn't be in the cross-hairs (or at least as vehemently as he is now). He had a down season, but also had down minutes - and still beat all but 20 RWs in the league.

He's as good as gone now, and it's really quite unfortunate. Because guess what? He was one of the better secondary point producers in the league and what is everyone *****ing about? Lack of secondary scoring. :shakehead

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Cap space is only valuable if it's needed. Which it is not.

People are acting like we have to accept **** for Eberle because we're in some horrible position.

We are not.

Having said that, the one thing that gives me pause is something one of the insiders said. They believe the Oilers want to use the money elsewhere so in that sense, I could see them accepting a lesser return.

That's what I said in an earlier post. This would be a cap clearing move to facilitate other moves while also adding an Eberle replacement who has some proven production in the league. Maybe it's Strome+2nd as I have a feeling that Chia wants to recover a 2nd rounder.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I'm just going to brace myself to really hate this offseason. Almost all of what's being talked about right now makes me vaguely nauseous.

Chiarelli has really downplayed what he wants to do this summer. I honestly don't expect much. He will probably even hold on to Eberle through to next year. Which I personally think is a bit of a mistake but certainly the best for the team this upcoming year. The only thing that throws a wrench into the season is Sekeras injury. If not for that I would almost certainly say Chiarelli does nothing this year except resign Russell.

Because we officially hit cap hell next year and are missing Sekera to start the year I hope he can two birds one stone and net us a solid top 4 option moving forward. But that's very unlikely.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Second reason is that I think Hamonic could be our Lee Fogilin or Jason Smith or a younger version of what Brad Ference was in Boston for settling down the younger players.
He is still technically Oilers property till free agency hits and you already forgot his first name :laugh:.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

The last time we had this kind of college sweepstakes for a player and won, it turned out really crappy.

So I'm hoping history doesn't repeat itself there, at least in terms of it turning out crappy.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
The last time we had this kind of college sweepstakes for a player and won, it turned out really crappy.

So I'm hoping history doesn't repeat itself there, at least in terms of it turning out crappy.

You mean the Schultz Sweepstakes? or the Caggiula? Those are the only 2 I knew we'd be in on.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
You mean the Schultz Sweepstakes? or the Caggiula? Those are the only 2 I knew we'd be in on.

Schultz.

Caggiula "sweepstakes" were kind of quiet, didn't even expect to get him and there wasn't a lot of noise or smoke there. There was more smoke on us signing Stecher.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
sorry my bad--I was doing a research article on Brad Ference and first round D-men for a site I write for about highly regarded picks that did not pan out and why drafting D in the first ten can be a hit and miss thing

Nice cover-up. You're good at it :sarcasm: I'm joking. Maybe you can share the link when you are done?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
DeHaan and ___ would be better than Strome. Strome's an underwhelming return for Eberle.

I still see Strome, Halak/Kulemin, MDC for Eberle.

NYI have an abundance of forward prospects and require cap space. It makes too much sense.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

I don't think Foo is considered to be any better or higher profile than Caggiula, he just stretched out the signing process longer.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Kevin Quinn has real sources.

OohBurn.gif

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
It would probably be more to clear cap space for next year and who knows, maybe Eberle really did request a trade.

Not saying that I agree with this at all, I'd much rather keep Eberle than trade him for lesser pieces but I think all signs are pointing to this type of deal for Eberle. All this talk of Hamonic, De Haan or top 4 Dman from Vegas is pie in the sky IMO.

If Eberle requested a trade then trade him to Vegas. Team starts to win and Eberle wants out. Don't need that type of player.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I don't think Foo is considered to be any better or higher profile than Caggiula, he just stretched out the signing process longer.

I'm referring to Schultz.

Caggiula was so quiet I don't consider that a sweepstakes. We were speculating more on Stecher than anyone and all of a sudden we got Caggiula instead.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Or keep him, let shooting % rebound from a career low, get 25-30 goals, trade him next offseason for 1st + good prospect/young player

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I still see Strome, Halak/Kulemin, MDC for Eberle.

NYI have an abundance of forward prospects and require cap space. It makes too much sense.

So nothing and cap dumps. MDC is a bust, Strome is an NHL player but barely one

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
If Eberle requested a trade then trade him to Vegas. Team starts to win and Eberle wants out. Don't need that type of player.

The rumored reason he has asked for a trade, is because he knows he's a dead man walking in terms of playing for the Oilers. He knows that regardless what he does, he's priced out of the team with McD, Drai and Lucic being locks for ~10, ~8 and 6 already.

Can you imagine being in that position? There's literally nothing you can do within your power to be able to continue working for your current employer, whom you love, whom you've worked with all of your career, but due to budgetary concerns you will be moved at some point or another. Very easy to get into a ****** mindframe and get down on yourself in that situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad