Rumor: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Eberle to Islanders, Anything Else Cooking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Re: McDavid/Draisaitl payday.

Didn't Katz get out of the Drug Biz and start a movie production company?

Just give McDavid and Drai a small role in one of his films for an outrageous salary every offseason. McDavid could pull off "Awkward guy in airport terminal" and Drai has "German bouncer in tight black tee-shirt #2" written all over him.

Problem solved.

I'd rather they star in a movie.

Maybe another Starsky and Hutch remake?

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
And takes too many penalties and his hands totally deserted him. Plus there's cap savings with him buried.

I don't advocate it but I can see it happening.
He cut way down on Penalties after benching early last season and they save 900 g off cap lol . Pouliot might get waived to see if there is any interest but they wont bury him.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
And takes too many penalties and his hands totally deserted him. Plus there's cap savings with him buried.

I don't advocate it but I can see it happening.

What about Pouliot for Valterri Filppula?

Flyers need a LW.
Flip is good on the draw.
He could help JP transition.
He is making 5M this year then is done so we get 4M in cap savings 2 years from now when Pouliot would be on his last year of the contract.

Pouliot+Prospect/Pick might do it.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Flyers need a LW.
He is making 5M this year then is done so we get 4M in cap savings 2 years from now when Pouliot would be on his last year of the contract.

I'd probably do it.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I'd rather they star in a movie.

Maybe another Starsky and Hutch remake?

We don't need to take much time away from their summer. Afterall they'll be playing into June.:) Just a one scene cameo would suffice. Preferably with sweet fake mustaches or goatee's.

Flyers need a LW.

You do that all day to get out of Poo's 2nd year.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Benning was a happy accident. Most of this board is going to have a conniption if we sign Russell, and the Hall trade has been discussed to death - but at least addressed a glaring positional need. This deal didn't solve one, it created one.
There's a recurring theme on this board of posters being over-the-top negative and refusing to give credit where it's due because they are upset about something else. How in the world was Benning a happy accident? Chiarelli drafted him in Boston and kept tabs on the player through his career in university. He knew what he was getting.

You can disagree with his moves but the guy isn't stupid. He's put together competitive hockey teams save for his first years in Boston and Edmonton. The Oilers have about $24M in cap space right now. Draisaitl + Kassian + possibly Russell come nowhere close to taking up all that money.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
There's a recurring theme on this board of posters being over-the-top negative and refusing to give credit where it's due because they are upset about something else. How in the world was Benning a happy accident? Chiarelli drafted him in Boston and kept tabs on the player through his career in university. He knew what he was getting.

You can disagree with his moves but the guy isn't stupid. He's put together competitive hockey teams save for his first years in Boston and Edmonton. The Oilers have about $24M in cap space right now. Draisaitl + Kassian + possibly Russell come nowhere close to taking up all that money.

It's crazy. I was expecting another fire Chia thread to pop up today. People need to chill out and wait to see what other moves Chia makes. Not until the draft or July 1st. Even last year we saw him substantially improve the team right before the season started by dealing Yak and signing Russell.

Personally, I want a hard to play against center with decent 5vs5 offense and a 2nd pair RHD. RNH might have to go to make that happen. Maybe not. I sure as hell am not going to jump down Chia's throat on June 22nd because I think our RW depth chart is lacking proven offense.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Vegas has less than $4M in space right now, only Chicago has less. They drafted a lot of crap worth a lot of money last night.

Not to mention, according to Lebrun, McPhee said he wouldn't do that.

Also, look at their roster. They're not giving up 4 first round picks.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Vegas has less than $4M in space right now, only Chicago has less. They drafted a lot of crap worth a lot of money last night.

Some of those guys will almost certainly be dealt especially if they were loading up for an offer sheet. This is all hypothetical anyway, just some insiders being bored and drumming up debate.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Some of those guys will almost certainly be dealt especially if they were loading up for an offer sheet. This is all hypothetical anyway, just some insiders being bored and drumming up debate.

Hypothetically, if they did do it, Oilers would be getting some lottery picks out of it.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

If you can find me a post by anyone saying Matt Benning was going to make this lineup on opening day, or Chiarelli saying so, I'll buy you a cookie. His being NHL ready was a happy accident. It's naive to think otherwise.

I've defended Chiarelli just about to a fault on this board but I'm failing to see the upside of this deal. You're choosing to remain positive, which is great, but I'm having trouble with that. Strome is a much lesser player and we have a large hole to fill now, and I think banking on Strome to magically turn into a top 6 quality winger overnight is irresponsible.

Maybe we sign Jagr or Williams on short term deals and I feel better, but until then I'm allowed to not like this. I think that those that are trying to remain on the sunny side are admirable, but I'm absolutely not willing to gamble the last year of McDavid's ELC on whether or not Strome can be anything more than an OK 3rd line player. IMO this is a year to chase a cup, and we just took a step back. Yes, plenty of time to take steps back in the right direction, but - again, IMO - this was a needless step backward.

Last edited:

North

Jun 25, 2009
If you can find me a post by anyone saying Matt Benning was going to make this lineup on opening day, or Chiarelli saying so, I'll buy you a cookie. His being NHL ready was a happy accident. It's naive to think otherwise.

I've defended Chiarelli just about to a fault on this board but I'm failing to see the upside of this deal. You're choosing to remain positive, which is great, but I'm having trouble with that. Strome is a much lesser player and we have a large hole to fill now, and I think banking on Strome to magically turn into a top 6 quality winger overnight is irresponsible.

It was a bad trade no doubt about it.

There should have been a pick coming back with Strome, but I bet Snow probably would have asked for retention at that point.

Regarding the player, maybe Strome was stifled by Capuano.

Apparently he picked it up when Weight took over.

The die is cast and he's our player now, so we have to hope for the best.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
What do you think pro poker players who are already set want more money or a WSOP bracelet.?

Because that's all poker is about. Either way, Drai is going to make more money than he's ever seen in his life and has a decent shot at a cup. Sure, you could get more and play on a crap team like vegas, believe it or not, a lot of players actually want to win a cup, that is their WSOP bracelet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad