Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Eberle Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Just from looking at their salary cap situation it would have to be a hockey trade of some sorts, they'll need to push some bodies back on us, they basically have everyone important signed other than Parayko.

The two bodies I see St. Louis most likely wanting to pawn off on us are Lehtera who I think they just don't want at his cap hit or Steen who while a good player for them for quite a while he is showing strong signs of regression, probably a good time to jump ship on him before the rest of the league really notices. They already have 4 solid wingers in Tarasenko, Schwartz, Steen, and Perron; moving out the costly Steen, and pushing Perron to LW again would make some sense to me.

Like titsuple I'd push for Sobotka and I'd also like to give Jaskin a try as a lower end filler, when I watch him I'm always surprised he can't get more points then he actually does. I don' think Sobotka can reasonably be on the table though unless we get some rise in the salary cap if it remains stagnant I don't think that would be manageable for the Blues.

Eberle for Bouwmeester may make some sense after expansion.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Doesn't matter his age today and in his last 4 years his cap hit is higher then the real dollars . Cap floor teams love these type of contracts . 4 years from now his real dollars are 5 million at 20% retained which is fair it is a movable contract

I agree, and thats why he should not be an Oiler. Let the 3-4 cap floor teams fight for the bad contract if he waves his NTC to go to one of these teams.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Schmaltz and Lehtera for Eberle would be pretty solid for us. Lehtera's contract kind of sucks, but he's a better player than a guy like Strome today. The only problem is it doesn't really help us on the salary front.

Lehtera is not good anymore. He is apparently extremely slow and hasn't looked good for two years now.

Not the kind of guy I want dumped on us. Again we're worse short term after this deal when we should be chasing Cups.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Lehtera is not good anymore. He is apparently extremely slow and hasn't looked good for two years now.

Not the kind of guy I want dumped on us. Again we're worse short term after this deal when we should be chasing Cups.

And once again, it's taking a negative value player in order to get a better player in return. Schmaltz is a very good, right shot defensive prospect with still another year of waiver exemption. You don't get him without doing something beneficial for the Blues.

The Jordan Eberle deal isn't going to make the Oilers better on its own. Simply because we're saying goodbye to a significant source of offense and we're not going to get one back.

Lehtera may be a declining asset, slowing down, or turning into a shrunken head. But he's a third line center who won half his faceoffs, has produced well offensively in the past and happens to be from Finland. He is a cap dump in this deal, but he still happens to check some boxes.

Regardless, I don't think the Blues would do it.

North

Jun 25, 2009
And once again, it's taking a negative value player in order to get a better player in return. Schmaltz is a very good, right shot defensive prospect with still another year of waiver exemption. You don't get him without doing something beneficial for the Blues.

The Jordan Eberle deal isn't going to make the Oilers better on its own. Simply because we're saying goodbye to a significant source of offense and we're not going to get one back.

Lehtera may be a declining asset, slowing down, or turning into a shrunken head. But he's a third line center who won half his faceoffs, has produced well offensively in the past and happens to be from Finland. He is a cap dump in this deal, but he still happens to check some boxes.

Here's the thing, this makes it seem like the Oilers have to trade Eberle and take a poison pill back. They don't.

I like Schmaltz but not if he comes with Lehtera.

The Oilers may not get full value for Eberle, but one thing they have to make sure they don't do is get slower.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Here's the thing, this makes it seem like the Oilers have to trade Eberle and take a poison pill back. They don't.

I like Schmaltz but not if he comes with Lehtera.

The Oilers may not get full value for Eberle, but one thing they have to make sure they don't do is get slower.

Why does it seem like that? The Oilers are going to have to take some salary back one way or another. I agree that extra year on Lehtera is killer but the asset that Schmaltz is fits the Oilers greatest need, which is a quality right pair defenseman.

Teams don't just take on $6m.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
What's the better scenario if we trade Eberle for a RHD?

1. Pre-expansion draft Eberle + pick for Hamonic. Go 4-4 and lose one of Kassian/Letestu/Reinhart/Khaira. 7.5-8M out assuming Vegas takes Kassian, 3.8 mil in.

2. Eberle to Vegas for a RHD expansion pick with the promise of also selecting Pouliot. Say Alex Petrovic (RFA) who should come in around 3M. 10M out, 3M in.

Curious as to what people would value more.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Unfortunately, any RHD that we would want that Vegas gets from their expansion draft will be worth way more than Eberle on the open market. Eberle only has 2 years on his deal. Year 1 for Vegas will just be a mess. Year 2, they have to trade him off as a rental likely.

Vegas really has no obligation to us to trade us a RHD from their draft, they can trade it to anyone with the annoyance of the expansion draft protection gone from everyones mind. Top 4 RHD are very valuable, and odds are that Vegas won't even be able to afford to give one up. It's not like they're gonna be loaded with top 4D after this draft, let alone RHD.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
What's the better scenario if we trade Eberle for a RHD?

1. Pre-expansion draft Eberle + pick for Hamonic. Go 4-4 and lose one of Kassian/Letestu/Reinhart/Khaira. 7.5-8M out assuming Vegas takes Kassian, 3.8 mil in.

2. Eberle to Vegas for a RHD expansion pick with the promise of also selecting Pouliot. Say Alex Petrovic (RFA) who should come in around 3M. 10M out, 3M in.

Curious as to what people would value more.

I believe that making the team better is more important that tidying up the cap situation, so I prefer option 1. We also don't need to address our cap this year (probably), especially if we get a Dman as great and cheap as Hamonic, while moving out Eberle (even if we retain a little).

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

No he doesn't - Lehtera checking boxes. He was just bad, like Eakin/Bjugstad/Strome were just bad. You love taking bad players on bad deals to try to squeeze good prospects out, and to a point I get it, but I don't like getting worse and crossing my fingers that prospects can make the jump. Your strategy would pay off sometimes but I'm pretty risk averse.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Unless a significant RD is on the table for Eberle there is no point in moving him this summer. Sure, if Hamonic can be gotten then it makes sense. If we're just trying to clear cap space that we don't need to use this year, then it just makes the team worse for next season.

I know on HF his value is near god like status, but, in the real world, I wonder how close Eberle + Nurse + JP could get us to Parayko

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
No he doesn't - Lehtera checking boxes. He was just bad, like Eakin/Bjugstad/Strome were just bad. You love taking bad players on bad deals to try to squeeze good prospects out, and to a point I get it, but I don't like getting worse and crossing my fingers that prospects can make the jump. Your strategy would pay off sometimes but I'm pretty risk averse.

Yup. We're in win now mode. Not take a bad contract and maybe get better in two years" mode.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Unless a significant RD is on the table for Eberle there is no point in moving him this summer. Sure, if Hamonic can be gotten then it makes sense. If we're just trying to clear cap space that we don't need to use this year, then it just makes the team worse for next season.

I know on HF his value is near god like status, but, in the real world, I wonder how close Eberle + Nurse + JP could get us to Parayko

Nowhere near I would gather. That trade does nothing for them. Their big need is a #1C so unless Draisaitl is on the table, forget about Parayko.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Trading for Parayko is only a possibility if he goes out and ask for a trade to Edmonton

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
The trade board is going crazy this morning. MacKinnon for Draisaitl, Nurse, our first...Price for Talbot, Draisaitl, Klefbom, Pulju, while taking back junk contracts....Jesus.

North

Jun 25, 2009
The trade board is going crazy this morning. MacKinnon for Draisaitl, Nurse, our first...Price for Talbot, Draisaitl, Klefbom, Pulju, while taking back junk contracts....Jesus.

Price is valuable but not that valuable. Wow.

MacKinnon is a nice player but I wouldn't trade Draisaitl for him one for one much less add to Drai to get him.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Price is valuable but not that valuable. Wow.

MacKinnon is a nice player but I wouldn't trade Draisaitl for him one for one much less add to Drai to get him.

Yeah, it's bonkers over there right now.

You think if we trade Eberle, Oshie would sign in Edmonton?

This'd be a great scenario for me. I'm a big fan of Oshie, and he'd be the perfect Eberle replacement.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Eberle is better than Oshie. cmon now.

Probably comparable players, actually, but Oshie had a much better year and might fit better with McDavid than Eberle has to date.

Plus, Oshie legitimately wins you games almost by himself because of how good he is at the shootout. Probably the single most underrated skill in the NHL today.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Eberle has 2 years left on his contract, and people want to replace him with a lesser version who you'd have to overpay in $ and term?
makes zero sense.
I thought the whole "get rid of Eberle" was to shed his contract, and peole want pto add a what would be a worse one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad