Trade Rumours and Free Agent Talk: Crickets..

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
How does Lupul go on LTIR? Doctor falsifies an injury report? Magic?

Yes, I get we don't want him on the team, but I am trying to understand the actual rules for this.

How is it inconceivable for a player that is playing with no hamstring to speak of and the bones of an 80 year old man to be put on LTIR? Robidas missed the entire season after playing a 19 minute pre-season game and nobody knew where and why he missed the entire season. "Knee injury" ... uh huh.

He may feel healthy and he could be healthy but nobody would be surprised at all if he missed most of the season, if not all of it. A few analysts/journalists (Mirtle, Johnston and Shannon I believe) have hinted that Lupul could very well disappear just like Robidas this season.

Last edited:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
How is it inconceivable for a player that is playing with no hamstring to speak of and the bones of an 80 year old man to be put on LTIR? Robidas missed the entire season after playing a 19 minute pre-season game and nobody knew where and why he missed the entire season. "Knee injury" ... uh huh.

He may feel healthy and he could be healthy but nobody would be surprised at all if he missed most of the season, if not all of it. A few analysts/journalists (Mirtle, Johnston and Shannon I believe) have hinted that Lupul could very well disappear just like Robidas this season.

IIRC, Robidas was never put on on LTIR. He just never played.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
IIRC, Robidas was never put on on LTIR. He just never played.

I mean, Robidas could have gone on LTIR but the Leafs didn't need to put him there. Doesn't make of a difference though. Lupul going on LTIR or not doesn't change the fact that it is very possible that he doesn't play this season or in the immediate future. He's damaged goods as far as I'm concerned and a lot of people see it that way.

The way I see it is that he'll probably show up at camp and play some pre-season games. He'll probably be cut in some capacity and either join the Marlies or disappear with an injury, aka Robidas Island.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I mean, Robidas could have gone on LTIR but the Leafs didn't need to put him there. Doesn't make of a difference though. Lupul going on LTIR or not doesn't change the fact that it is very possible that he doesn't play this season or in the immediate future. He's damaged goods as far as I'm concerned and a lot of people see it that way.

The way I see it is that he'll probably show up at camp and play some pre-season games. He'll probably be cut in some capacity and either join the Marlies or disappear with an injury, aka Robidas Island.

Lupul doesn't seem the type to fade away quietly

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Lupul doesn't seem the type to fade away quietly

He faded away very quietly this past season. Nobody knew where he was when he went on the IR and he wasn't even at the locker clearing day, while JVR was and he missed more games than Lupul.

I don't want to discredit him so easily but he's going to have to play some of his best hockey in really long time if he wants to keep his spot on the Leafs. I don't think the Leafs will hesitate to waive him and put him on the Marlies if he wants to work his game back up.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I mean, I guess he can climb his way back up from the Marlies?

I don't want to discredit him so easily but he's going to have to play some of his best hockey in really long time if he wants to keep his spot on the Leafs.

I agree with you on the premise, but he seems to enjoy his spotlight, such as it is these days. I have no idea on what we'll do with him but if we somehow make it to the expansion draft I'd definitely make it worth it to LV to take him. I'd hazard a guess Marner would destroy in his rookie season anything lupul could do this year

Mad Brills*

Wonder if nuke from dallas could be available since they signed hudler today.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I agree with you on the premise, but he seems to enjoy his spotlight, such as it is these days. I have no idea on what we'll do with him but if we somehow make it to the expansion draft I'd definitely make it worth it to LV to take him. I'd hazard a guess Marner would destroy in his rookie season anything lupul could do this year

I'd happily attach an asset or 2 if they took Lupul for 1 year.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Wonder if nuke from dallas could be available since they signed hudler today.

How does Hudler make a kid with his skill and potential, available?

Hudler isn't a long term solution. He's a scoring winger on borrowed time.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'd happily attach an asset or 2 if they took Lupul for 1 year.

Vegas is probably going to need some help to reach the cap floor next year. Lupul only makes 3 million in real dollars next year too.

He could take a year to get back to full health and then try to come back next year, whether it is with the Leafs or someone else. That would be the best course of action for him (and for us).

Which prospects would it take? Would Vegas was good quantity or great quality. I don't know how they are going to build up a prospect pipeline, so they may just want as many prospects as possible.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Vegas is probably going to need some help to reach the cap floor next year. Lupul only makes 3 million in real dollars next year too.

He could take a year to get back to full health and then try to come back next year, whether it is with the Leafs or someone else. That would be the best course of action for him (and for us).

Which prospects would it take? Would Vegas was good quantity or great quality. I don't know how they are going to build up a prospect pipeline, so they may just want as many prospects as possible.

Gauthier
A.Johnson
Lindgren
Loov

Maybe 2 of the above group? a 3-4th round pick along with Lupul for a 7th round pick?

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Gauthier
A.Johnson
Lindgren
Loov

Maybe 2 of the above group? a 3-4th round pick along with Lupul for a 7th round pick?

That seems like an awful lot to give up to be rid of him one season early. They don't even need cap space next year.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Or just buy him out next off-season. The cap hit would be 2.75M for year 1 and 1.25M for year 2.

I'd much rather that than giving up a young depth player.

Vegas will have zero problem finding players to reach the cap floor anyway. Zero. They won't need to pick up broken players like Lupul.

Mad Brills*

I'd give up gauthier.

He's nothing more than an average 4th liner.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That seems like an awful lot to give up to be rid of him one season early. They don't even need cap space next year.

You can always find a use for it. Inevitably we're not going to have room for everyone, and there is just less complication in terms of forward roster spots this way.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
You can always find a use for it. Inevitably we're not going to have room for everyone, and there is just less complication in terms of forward roster spots this way.

Just buy him out if they just want to clear the roster spot. I wouldn't give up multiple picks and prospects to be rid of him.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Just buy him out if they just want to clear the roster spot. I wouldn't give up multiple picks and prospects to be rid of him.

I wouldn't worry about the loss of any of these prospects and a 3rd or 4th round pick to get rid of Lupul.

Avoids 2 years of dead cap from the buy out angle.

Our prospect pool is loaded.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I wouldn't worry about the loss of any of these prospects and a 3rd or 4th round pick to get rid of Lupul.

Avoids 2 years of dead cap from the buy out angle.

Our prospect pool is loaded.

I wouldn't worry about 2.75M and 1.75M in cap room. They likely won't be spending to the cap next year or the year after. Moving any assets to open up cap room they won't use would be a bad decision IMO.

I would prefer waiving and demoting, buying him out or just riding out the year with him. I can't see any upside in moving anything just to get rid of him.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I wouldn't worry about 2.75M and 1.75M in cap room. They likely won't be spending to the cap next year or the year after. Moving any assets to open up cap room they won't use would be a bad decision IMO.

I would prefer waiving and demoting, buying him out or just riding out the year with him. I can't see any upside in moving anything just to get rid of him.

I like the flexibility it creates...but people don't need to agree on everything either, just different thought processes on the matter.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I like the flexibility it creates...but people don't need to agree on everything either, just different thought processes on the matter.

The are already very flexible, no reason to give up anything to be slightly more flexible, especially when waiting one year will provide the same flexibility for free.

I didn't say we need to agree, just presenting opinion like you are.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Yeah i think we just wait it out on Lupul..We dont need the cap space at all. By the time we need the space to sign ELC's to there 1st deals the Lupul, Bozak and JVR contracts will be up.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Watters: “Trouba wants out of Winnipegâ€

Former NHL executive Bill Watters was a guest on Winnipeg Lunch today and discussed the Jets ongoing negotiations with restricted free agent Jacob Trouba. Watters’ believes Trouba’s camp wants out of Winnipeg.

http://www.tsn.ca/

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Watters: “Trouba wants out of Winnipegâ€

Former NHL executive Bill Watters was a guest on Winnipeg Lunch today and discussed the Jets ongoing negotiations with restricted free agent Jacob Trouba. Watters’ believes Trouba’s camp wants out of Winnipeg.

http://www.tsn.ca/

Well if the Leafs can get him, go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad