Speculation: Trade Rumors/Speculation Thread Part IV: Yak Yak Yak Yak

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I don't necessarily think that MDZ could bring back a Kane by himself, but in a package as the main piece? Yeah. ... IMO.

No, but in other thread something round Staal + MDZ + Brassard for EKane + rights to Burmistrov + Redmond + Postma garnered interest. But not certain they are ready to move on EK.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Some of those guys are expendable and it's not always about this year what about long term? What if Cally leaves? Nash gets reinjured?

Boyle, Dorsett, Brassard are all huge question marks in the future. Moore and Pyatt are gone, and there's no guarantee in two years that Duclair, Buchnevich, and Nieves all take NHL spots right away.

I agree. Just stating some decisions will need to be made on some of these guys. There aren't enough spots for everyone. I happen to like Linberg, Miller, Fast, Hrivik and Kristo and would hate to see any of them moved, but can a contending team really integrate all of those players in a year or so?

Punxrocknyc19*

With every game DZ sits it seems more and more likely that he gets traded, no? I mean, healthy scratching a guy that can be an asset in a trade seems like a waste doesn't it?

maybe protecting the player from injury. say Del Zotto plays tomorrow and gets hurt and is out 3 months. knowing the Rangers luck i would not be shocked if this happened so maybe they are on the verge of a deal..

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
With every game DZ sits it seems more and more likely that he gets traded, no? I mean, healthy scratching a guy that can be an asset in a trade seems like a waste doesn't it?

Like I said before, I think at this point the Rangers are probably sitting on a number of offers, and are hoping that now that their lineup is pretty much healthy, they can get a true assessment of where they stand over the next couple games and how important it is to bring in another defender, or if Falk can fill that role. The "motivation" bit is probably a bit of a smoke screen. You don't motivate a player like that by sitting him for 3 games in a row.

I'd be surprised if he was traded before Thanksgiving, and I think we'll see him in a game or two, but I think he'll be traded shortly after the holiday.

My own, completely speculative list of who has likely inquired about him: Ottawa, Dallas, Winnipeg, Detroit, Florida and possibly Philly.

gmerger37

Dec 2, 2010
North Jersey
The area where we have depth to trade from is our defense.

McD
Staal
Girardi
Moore
MDZ
McilRath
Stralman
Skjei

We have 8 guys who could all factor into the lineup in the future for 6 spots. Girardi needs to be resigned and Staal as well in a few years. At this point I wouldn't mind packaging G and MDZ or some combo of two defensemen + for a good top 6 winger.

Girardi is loved by many on here but to me he looks lost in this system and I'd be very very weary about signing him for $5mil + for a long term deal.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
If DZ was traded to the Oilers, he'd be their best defenseman with Smid gone.

I like the idea of trading with OTT just because they've been embarrassingly bad lately, and will be more willing to overpay.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
TSN Transcript

With American Thanksgiving nearing, are you hearing any talk on the trade front?

Darren Dreger: We are hearing some interesting names that are starting to surface. Two of them that come to mind are Brayden Schenn of the Phildadelphia Flyers and Michael Del Zotto of the New York Rangers. Now the Flyers aren't trying to push out Schenn – they may want to push out his brother Luke – but what they've told teams quietly is that if there is the right deal available, if they can find the right fit, then absolutely they would include Brayden Schenn in a trade scenario. And we know Paul Holmgren likes to make that big blockbuster deal.

As for Del Zotto and the Rangers, he's not having a good year, playing well behind Ryan McDonagh and Marc Staal on the left side, so he's a third-pairing defenceman. He could probably embrace a change and we're told that at least five or six teams have inquired about scenarios.

Pierre LeBrun: I think one of those teams is the Ottawa Senators. They've had this mystifying start, they've been so inconsistent and I'm told one of their top priorities on the trade market between now and the trade deadline is to find another puck-moving defenceman and Del Zotto is on that list of players on their radar. But it's money in, money out with the Senators with the situation with ownership.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=437013

Teams tell me Senators GM Bryan Murray has been working the phones. Club needs help on defence. Inconsistency has gone on for a month

https://twitter.com/SunGarrioch/status/403170257289760768

Blueblood 2

Jul 7, 2006
If DZ was traded to the Oilers, he'd be their best defenseman with Smid gone.

I like the idea of trading with OTT just because they've been embarrassingly bad lately, and will be more willing to overpay.

Their GM is a smart cookie. One of the best, in my opinion, but yes they have been horrible.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
I'd do MDZ and a good prospect (someone like Fast) for Zibanejad and Gryba. Gryba is a bottom-pair RHD, only 25, and is RFA at the end of this year. Don't know if OTT does that deal, though. It probably depends on how they value Fast.

I like that deal but if we could swap fast with a lesser prospect and a mid round pick id love it.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Like I said before, I think at this point the Rangers are probably sitting on a number of offers, and are hoping that now that their lineup is pretty much healthy, they can get a true assessment of where they stand over the next couple games and how important it is to bring in another defender, or if Falk can fill that role. The "motivation" bit is probably a bit of a smoke screen. You don't motivate a player like that by sitting him for 3 games in a row.

I'd be surprised if he was traded before Thanksgiving, and I think we'll see him in a game or two, but I think he'll be traded shortly after the holiday.

My own, completely speculative list of who has likely inquired about him: Ottawa, Dallas, Winnipeg, Detroit, Florida and possibly Philly.

Yeah there are a number of reasons that he could be sitting:

1) He sucks so bad and his replacement is better: I don't think that's the case.

2) Motivation. I think he one game would prove that point

3) He's getting traded. Though I wonder if it would be because they want to protect him from injuries (sounds like something only fans would think) or maybe they want to see how the team does without him and see what exactly they need in a trade back, in other words what you said. Your post seems likely.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
is still believe that the oilers rangers things isnt dead.

i truly believe that they will move yak for the right deal. they need to save face and get the right value back so as to not be fleeced but they are in desperate need of turning that franchise around. the loyal fan base wont leave but the pressure to win is building and they need to shake things up. and yakupov is the guy to be sacrificed.

they are giving up a ghastly amount of goals @ 3.6 per game. they have 15 losses in 23 games played. dreadful.

realistically del zotto isnt the guy to turn it around but he would improve that defense right now. playing with that group of forwards will make mike more productive and thats how we sell him. but we would need to sweeten the pot alot. if we do del zotto, mcilrath and say tj miller for yakupov and-- and this is the guy i really really want- oscar klefbom, i think theres something there. works for both sides.

yak is obviously a talent but in klefbom we get a young, smooth skater with great size - 6'3 210 and a true offensive dman who can make all the plays. hes a lefty but whos cares. he plays both sides. he was hurt and had surgery but i loved this guy in his draft year and pimped him bigtime. hes got legit offensive skills, is a high end skater and has a very high ceiling.

the oil are loaded with you dmen prospects- schultz, nurse, musil, marincin but not many who can help now. mcilrath is a western canada boy and brings toughness to an otherwise soft team. del zotto can help right now and jt miller steps in and adds some snarl to that group of mostly young finesse forwards.

but is that enough to pry yak and klefbom away from them ?

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Yeah there are a number of reasons that he could be sitting:

1) He sucks so bad and his replacement is better: I don't think that's the case.

2) Motivation. I think he one game would prove that point

3) He's getting traded. Though I wonder if it would be because they want to protect him from injuries (sounds like something only fans would think) or maybe they want to see how the team does without him and see what exactly they need in a trade back, in other words what you said. Your post seems likely.

Option 3 is most likely the case. Basically without DZ the Rangers are icing two stretch 4's in Moore and Stralman, and a no 7 in Falk. I know Mac Truck, Staal, and G are great, but man oh man is that defense thin on difference makers after you get past those three.

With DZ getting the Ballard treatment, the team knows he will eventually want out because of what it will do for his contract, so then it allows a trade to take place without fan backlash in case it's another Tyutin for Zherdev.

OTT wants out of the Greening contract, and Gryba may be the premium they pay, then I'd move pieces to make a trade, but not give up a guy that can give upper echelon minutes to fill two needs. Basically no to Greening, Gryba for DZ.

Zibanejad is a RH version of Miller. A young big bodied athlete that is too good for the AHL and not fully ready for the NHL. Happens with a lot of good kids that are two seasons out of their draft year. But say the package was Greening, Gryba, Zibanejad for DZ + Pyatt/Pouliout/+, then I'd consider since that fills multiple needs, and there is atleast a prospect with upside coming back even though its not a top 4 D or top 6 forward.

If it's Dallas: I'd ask for Chiasson + Robidas.

I know the futurists have a thing for youth, but in a capped league no team is going to trade away top tier controllable contracts; ie good young players who are legitimately good at the NHL level unless they were giving up on them for whatever reason. In other words you aren't going to get the best guy in their system by a longshot.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Or maybe they're just sitting Moore because he played like ass?

John Moore is like Ryan McDonagh, just minus the brain.

I still cant figure out why Del Zotto is the scratch when Moore and Justin Falk are the other options.

Oh right, the long con trade.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Option 3 is most likely the case. Basically without DZ the Rangers are icing two stretch 4's in Moore and Stralman, and a no 7 in Falk. I know Mac Truck, Staal, and G are great, but man oh man is that defense thin on difference makers after you get past those three.

With DZ getting the Ballard treatment, the team knows he will eventually want out because of what it will do for his contract, so then it allows a trade to take place without fan backlash in case it's another Tyutin for Zherdev.

OTT wants out of the Greening contract, and Gryba may be the premium they pay, then I'd move pieces to make a trade, but not give up a guy that can give upper echelon minutes to fill two needs. Basically no to Greening, Gryba for DZ.

Zibanejad is a RH version of Miller. A young big bodied athlete that is too good for the AHL and not fully ready for the NHL. Happens with a lot of good kids that are two seasons out of their draft year. But say the package was Greening, Gryba, Zibanejad for DZ + Pyatt/Pouliout/+, then I'd consider since that fills multiple needs, and there is atleast a prospect with upside coming back even though its not a top 4 D or top 6 forward.

If it's Dallas: I'd ask for Chiasson + Robidas.

I know the futurists have a thing for youth, but in a capped league no team is going to trade away top tier controllable contracts; ie good young players who are legitimately good at the NHL level unless they were giving up on them for whatever reason. In other words you aren't going to get the best guy in their system by a longshot.

I think it's weird that you're lumping in Stralman with Moore. I think Stralman is a good #4. Our bottom pairing needs work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad