Speculation: Trade Rumors & Roster Building Thread: Part XXVII: Jeff Gorton: A Troubaliever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Classic asset management, buy low, sell high. We have the guys on offense who are making a sell high case and do or will need help at RD. Zucc is an obvious candidate unfortunately, great contract, etc for a good RHD (add or subtract to the deal depending), Honka, Vatenen, Trouba. Our offense will survive subbing Buch for MZA, think of our D by subbing one of those guys into the right side.

Im really sure that the team dont have to trade their 29 60+p 1rw for a guy that plays in the AHL, where Honka currently is.

I could get on board with Trouba, I'd genuinely hate it, but Id get on board with it., Vatanen isnt a good enough piece unless its some bottom 9 player and a pick.

People seem to value other teams players, and our own for that matter, wildly high. Honka will return a borderline nhl talent and a pick at best.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
if the trade request has become public, you can bet your last dollar it was private at one point and once it became clear to the Trouba camp that the efforts to move him were not earnest, the request became public.

He gets to 12/01/16 unsigned, his value plummets and Chevy should be fired.

It may appear that the Jets have the upper hand here. It just appears that way.

I absolutely 100000000% agree. I am not sure how people actually believe that Chevy has the upper hand here and that he has the full support from ownership. No ****ing way is the owner happy about this, especially with Winnipegs fantastic 4-6 start. Chevy is trying to get a haul for a player when he has little to no leverage. Other GM's know this. Hence why Trouba hasn't been traded yet. Then the next sentence is always how fans will be fine if he sits out the entire season. That is brilliant. Let a kid in his prime development years sit out an entire season just to prove a point or because you can only get 90 cents on the dollar.

Then again, as someone who has watched this franchise be mismanaged since coming into the league, it also wouldn't surprise me if ownership was as dumb as their management.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I was watching EJ Hradek and Steve Mears rip the Jets yesterday. They should be much better than 4-6. The Jets have no urgency in their game. Soft plays. Sloppy plays. The team has been back in Winnipeg for 5 seasons and haven't won one lousy playoff game. When have the Jets ever won anything? The team plays for next season every year. They were talking about the Rangers right before the Jets. The Rangers were embarrassed as a group with their play in the playoffs. They have come back with urgency and something to prove. WINNIPEG is the total opposite. Too bad they don't get the NHL Network in Canada.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
I was watching EJ Hradek and Steve Mears rip the Jets yesterday. They should be much better than 4-6. The Jets have no urgency in their game. Soft plays. Sloppy plays. The team has been back in Winnipeg for 5 seasons and haven't won one lousy playoff game. When have the Jets ever won anything? The team plays for next season every year. They were talking about the Rangers right before the Jets. The Rangers were embarrassed as a group with their play in the playoffs. They have come back with urgency and something to prove. WINNIPEG is the total opposite. Too bad they don't get the NHL Network in Canada.

Why would they play with any urgency? Their GM and owners don't care what happens this year as it is a "development year" according to their fans.

That is a great message to send a young team.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Posted in the Trouba mega thread, but by December I think he just signs a short term deal and plays the year with the Jets.

Also Klein should be traded at the deadline regardless of the standings. Squeeze every ounce of value out of him.

Putting aside whatever fantasy trade scenarios we are whipping up, Klein is this team's best RD by a country mile. His value is playing with the Rangers. And that goes for if they acquire that additional RD or not.

This push to move Klein shows an alarming lack of perspective regarding the Ranger's roster deficiencies.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I absolutely 100000000% agree. I am not sure how people actually believe that Chevy has the upper hand here and that he has the full support from ownership. No ****ing way is the owner happy about this, especially with Winnipegs fantastic 4-6 start. Chevy is trying to get a haul for a player when he has little to no leverage. Other GM's know this. Hence why Trouba hasn't been traded yet. Then the next sentence is always how fans will be fine if he sits out the entire season. That is brilliant. Let a kid in his prime development years sit out an entire season just to prove a point or because you can only get 90 cents on the dollar.

Then again, as someone who has watched this franchise be mismanaged since coming into the league, it also wouldn't surprise me if ownership was as dumb as their management.

See: Drouin, Jonathon

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Let the Jets keep sucking and thinking that every prospect they have will become an NHLer.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
He was under contract. Could not play in Switzerland or Sweden.

Also, TB isn't the snow capital of the world, nor as far as I know, did he have a GF planning to move half a continent away.

So, you think Trouba (whose primary contention isn't where he's playing it's where he's playing in the lineup) is more likely to sit out the next four years and play in the KHL/SEL than he is to cave and sign with the Jets?

We'll see in 28 days who got this right.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
That franchise has been in a "development year" since 2000.

An alternate view is that when the franchise moved to Winnipeg in 2011 it basically had a couple of NHL-caliber players, nothing on the farm (top prospect was Patrice Cormier) and they didn't even own an AHL team. They had essentially nothing to trade to effect any meaningful change at the NHL-level and still ice a team that would at least be competitive at the same time. So they enacted a draft and development policy and have been drafting efficiently ever since. It takes time for drafted players to enter the system, and they are now at the point in the cycle where drafted players are coming on-stream and the team is now transitioning toward youth. That takes time, the GM has done an amazing job during that time, the ownership supports him fully, and they actually are developing a very solid future:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/jets-window-opportunity-opening-sooner-later/

Cheers.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
So, you think Trouba (whose primary contention isn't where he's playing it's where he's playing in the lineup) is more likely to sit out the next four years and play in the KHL/SEL than he is to cave and sign with the Jets?

You REALLY think it's about being used as the top pair D on his offside...? :)

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Delusion was under contract. Trouba is not.

Trouba's rights are with the Jets for four years whether he's under contract or not. You can make the argument that the Jets actually have MORE leverage than TB did.

If I'm the Jets, I don't cave. I want what I want. If they cave, it sets a precedent for the future that they may never recover from. I let him sit, play in the KHL or wherever, before I make a deal that isn't good enough.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Correct. You'd have to think Trouba will see the Forrest through the trees sometime this month. His value, his future, his eventual departure from Winnipeg is heavily contingent on him playing NHL minutes.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Trouba's rights are with the Jets for four years whether he's under contract or not. You can make the argument that the Jets actually have MORE leverage than TB did.

If I'm the Jets, I don't cave. I want what I want. If they cave, it sets a precedent for the future that they may never recover from. I let him sit, play in the KHL or wherever, before I make a deal that isn't good enough.

Trouba has options that Drouin did not. The jets have his rights,. Drouin could only play in the TB system.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013

I've been well on the "Trouba will sign" side for a long time now.

He is not going to waste career NHL years over a tantrum. They just have to wait this one out and wait until he signs.

Does anyone genuinely believe Trouba will opt not to play in the NHL over playing for the Jets? I sure dont

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Actually, an alternate view is that when the franchise moved to Winnipeg in 2011 it basically had a couple of NHL-caliber players, nothing on the farm (top prospect was Patrice Cormier) and they didn't even own an AHL team. They had essentially nothing to trade to effect any meaningful change at the NHL-level and still ice a team that would at least be competitive at the same time. So they enacted a draft and development policy and have been drafting efficiently ever since. It takes time for drafted players to enter the system, and they are now at the point in the cycle where they are coming on-stream and are transitioning toward youth. That takes time, the GM has done an amazing job during that time, the ownership supports him fully, and they actually are developing a very solid future:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/jets-window-opportunity-opening-sooner-later/

Cheers.

Respectfully, I have been following this organization since their first day in the NHL. You can spin this anyway you would like but it doesn't change the truth.

Winnipegs first year they had Antropov, Byfuglien, Bogosian, Kane, Burmistrov, Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Oduya and Enstrom.

Your top prospect wasn't Cormier, it was Scheifele as Winnipeg inherited the 7th overall pick from Atlanta and he even played 7 games for you guys as an 18 year old during your first year in Winnipeg. You can write whatever revisionist history you want about the franchise but I see it a completely different way than you do.

The only reason that Winnipeg might experience success in the future is winning the lottery and being gifted Laine. Otherwise, I have zero doubts the franchise would continue to sit in mediocrity.

Back to the Rangers...

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
If you believe all of the NHL insiders. Winnipeg is not trading Trouba. Elliotte Friedman said Winnipeg still has the inferiority complex. They don't like the idea of Trouba not wanting to play in Winnipeg. If I were Trouba,I would sit out the season. Register for the spring semester at Michigan. Work towards getting my degree. Skate with the Michigan players to stay in shape.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Putting aside whatever fantasy trade scenarios we are whipping up, Klein is this team's best RD by a country mile. His value is playing with the Rangers. And that goes for if they acquire that additional RD or not.

This push to move Klein shows an alarming lack of perspective regarding the Ranger's roster deficiencies.

Sorry, I lol'ed at what seemed a slightly condescending tone. I think we all are well aware of Rangers' roster deficiencies (how could you not if spent any time around HFBNYR) but also realistic to the fact that

1. Klein is on the wrong side of 30 so it will be close to impossible to sign him short term and at a friendly cap hit while
2. His trade value is likely at its highest and could bring a nice return.

If the Rangers acquire a Truba-type player to play ahead of Klein then there be cheaper options to play at 2/3RW with minor incremental detriment in performance on the score sheet.

From the opposite perspective, I could see the organization deciding to bypass the benefits from trading Klein (if able to fit his salary under the cap for next season without giving up a long term core) by viewing him as a substitute for a "rental" they would've tried to acquire for more depth and an insurance in case of injuries ("you can never have enough D"). I just think the cost of this option decision in terms of passed on trade value would be excessive.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

We're likely going to have to expose him anyway which has to be considered.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Respectfully, I have been following this organization since their first day in the NHL. You can spin this anyway you would like but it doesn't change the truth.

Winnipegs first year they had Antropov, Byfuglien, Bogosian, Kane, Burmistrov, Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Oduya and Enstrom.

Your top prospect wasn't Cormier, it was Scheifele as Winnipeg inherited the 7th overall pick from Atlanta and he even played 7 games for you guys as an 18 year old during your first year in Winnipeg. You can write whatever revisionist history you want about the franchise but I see it a completely different way than you do.

The only reason that Winnipeg might experience success in the future is winning the lottery and being gifted Laine. Otherwise, I have zero doubts the franchise would continue to sit in mediocrity.

Back to the Rangers...

To clarify, when they bought the team, Schefiele had yet to be drafted, FYI. That you include Antropov and Burmistrov under the list of NHL-caliber players is more than a little generous. They had to keep a portion of the balance in order to ice a competitive franchise in front of a building full of season ticket holders; no way were they going to debut a bare roster via a scorched earth policy, that isn't realistic.
Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad