Speculation: Trade Rumors & Roster Building Thread: Part XXVII: Jeff Gorton: A Troubaliever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
I vote no, and I vote to include Fast's name in the thread title instead.

Thanks, I should delete my post and just quote yours instead.

In essence, we don't get a penalty, the result is that we don't get a bargain like we would if we traded for or signed a player after the season started.

Remember also that there is a cumulative effect to this. Like lets say a team has $ 2m of cap space and had a RFA to sign, that it will take 1m to sign.

If they made the negotiation drag out 30 days into the season (the season being 160 days), that is 1/8. On the 31 day of the season, they would have 2,285,000 of accrued cap space, i.e. be able to take on a player with a cap hit of 2,285,000, and the cap hit of the contract -- without this mechanism -- would be 150/180 x 1m = 830k.

So it could definitely be exploited. With this mechanism, for the avoidance of doubt, you still accrue cap space but the cap hit of the RFA signed is 1m not 830k.

In a sense it would be a penalty capwise as the prorated amount of AAV (which the GMs use) would be added onto this years cap whilst subtracted from the coming years cap. So for this year lets us use the below as a theoretical example of acquiring Jakub Trouba:

We trade for Mr Troubas rights on November 4. Sending out salary that is all prorated. 31 days of 160 are then gone. He subsequently signs with NYR for $5,4 M over 5 years. In a normal year for a regularly signed player, his prorated hit would then be $4.353.575. However and due to this rule - his cap hit is now $5,4 M on November 4th instead (then actually equivalent of an annual cap hit of $6.260,869 - but for this year only). OTOH the cap hit for the next 4 years is subtracted by $261,606 - reducing it those years to $5,138,394. AAV for 5 years is still $5.400.000 - but in this case varying over the annual term which is not the rule but the exception.

Our cap margin is in effect hit with an added negative margin of $860,869 - but for this year only. These are the implications and Yes, they seriously count!!! But they could also be countered by alternatively:

1) dumping some more salary (Tanner we will miss ya, Fast was not quick enough ;) )
2) a somewhat lower AAV
3) signing a shorter (ie one year) deal with an unwritten agreement to execute a new, long-term deal after January 1st, 2017.

Doable - but definitely with an added twist. The longer we wait - then the bigger the ramifications will be (and likely the harder to make a deal capwise as the number gets pretty high around December 1 - also conceivably meaning we would need to gut the roster elsewhere) ... Get er done now!

Last edited:

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
You think Gorts is gonna get Chevy to blink, BBK?
Trouba will be traded - I firmly believe and have heard from a good source. Boston (firstly) and Detroit as I understand it are also both in the mix. Arizona and Denver as well. It is (as always) a question of what assets they will pony up. I do think we have a good chance. I stick out my head and say we are the favourite as it stands right now. And for every day that goes the cap implications for NYR get more complicated whilst Chevy is a more patient guy. I would think Winnipeg going on a losing streak asap would be very welcome. Time is a factor here.

On another note, Holy Moses what a boring life sobriety and the health conscious lifestyle is. I understand the benefits but it is not meant for me I guess. Been on this wagon road for 6 months now since my heart & lung surgeries and I wish this emptiness for nobody... Struggling with the allure of sin and plurging constantly

Last edited:

member 116805

Trouba will be traded - I firmly believe and have heard from a good source. Boston (firstly) and Detroit as I understand it are also both in the mix. Arizona and Denver as well. It is (as always) a question of what assets they will pony up. I do think we have a good chance. I stick out my head and say we are the favourite as it stands right now. And for every day that goes the cap implications for NYR get more complicated whilst Chevy is a more patient guy. I would think Winnipeg going on a losing streak asap would be very welcome. Time is a factor here.

On another note, Holy Moses what a boring life sobriety and the health conscious lifestyle is. I understand the benefits but it is not meant for me I guess. Been on this wagon road for 6 months now since my heart & lung surgeries and I wish this emptiness for nobody... Struggling with the allure of sin and plurging constantly

Cannot imagine dealing with this place sober :laugh:

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Good on you, BBKers. Keep up the good work. Just imagine the taste of a Stanley Cup victory!

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

I dont drink. Ive seen too many people wreck their lives with booze. My weakness are women and potatoes lol. Things will get better. Stay healthy BBK!

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
I turned 21 a month and a half ago and have only drank once since. I'm a fun guy :sarcasm:

I was always more of a go green type guy until I gave it up :laugh:

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
AV would play this kid on the third pair like he did when he got yandle. That's what's terrifying

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Stay up, brother. It's worth it.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I wouldn't do Miller/Fast/Graves for Trouba. Cap would be very tight and honestly if y'all thought McLIrath sitting around as a #8 is bad, that would mean McD/Trouba/Staal/Klein/Girardi/Holden/Skjei/Clendo.

Not a good use of resources. Also up front would be a mess. It would severely weaken the depth and one injury away from having a fourth line of Glass-Nieves-Hrivik.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I wish there was a way to do a 3way with Zuccarello going to Anaheim, Fowler to Winnipeg and Trouba here. This way we get a young asset for a 29 year old. Would harm us this year, but would be terrific long term.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Trouba would help but if he has not beat out the two RH Dmen on Win then we should not treat him like a #1 Dman in trade value. We should also remember Win is the one looking to sell or they end up with a guy just sitting.

I think a trade would have to include Brady based on having McD playing 25 minutes. I'd rather not give up any of our top 9 forwards with Brady. I think Brady, Tambo plus a conditional 1st (if we win the cup) or 2nd and a 3rd (if we dont win the cup) is a solid offer. If Jooris was healthy I might have included Fast.

Win gets a NHL left handed Dman
Win gets a prospect
Win gets a draft pick or two

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
neither my wife nor i drink, smoke, or do drugs. its a much easier and cost effective life ;-)

I have to applaud you... I went sober for a month and it was the most boring month of my life post turning 21. That lifestyle definitely ain't for everyone

On the other hand if you drink morning till night you need to stop, period. Alcohol is meant to be a supplement, not someone's H20

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I have to applaud you... I went sober for a month and it was the most boring month of my life post turning 21. That lifestyle definitely ain't for everyone

On the other hand if you drink morning till night you need to stop, period. Alcohol is meant to be a supplement, not someone's H20

As someone that has never drank (outside of 1 beer as a kid and a couple of shots as an adult) or done drugs I'm wondering what the difference is. I guess I will never know. :)

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I wouldn't do Miller/Fast/Graves for Trouba. Cap would be very tight and honestly if y'all thought McLIrath sitting around as a #8 is bad, that would mean McD/Trouba/Staal/Klein/Girardi/Holden/Skjei/Clendo.

Not a good use of resources. Also up front would be a mess. It would severely weaken the depth and one injury away from having a fourth line of Glass-Nieves-Hrivik.

My preference would be to find a way to center the deal around Zucc, but if you can do the deal above, you absolutely have to do it.

Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Vesey-Stepan-Nash
Pirri-Hayes-Zucarello
Grabner-Lindberg-Jooris

Hrivik
Fontaine
Nieves
Glass

McDonagh-Trouba
Staal-Klein
Skjei-Girardi

Holden
Clendening

Would be just fine. MORE than fine.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
As someone that has never drank (outside of 1 beer as a kid and a couple of shots as an adult) or done drugs I'm wondering what the difference is. I guess I will never know. :)

That's the thing... if you never know you will never miss it. The only people I know who've stayed truly sober are the ones that have never really indulged in it to begin with.

To me though it serves far too many useful purposes, so I will continue drinking. I do wish I didn't ever have to rely on it, but it is what it is I guess. It makes the harsh realities of life a little more foggy and bearable

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
That's the thing... if you never know you will never miss it. The only people I know who've stayed truly sober are the ones that have never really indulged in it to begin with.

To me though it serves far too many useful purposes, so I will continue drinking. I do wish I didn't ever have to rely on it, but it is what it is I guess. It makes the harsh realities of life a little more foggy and bearable

I think I understand. Maybe I will try it when I'm 70 just to see what the fuss is about. I never drank beer (after 1) because I did not like the taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad