Speculation: Trade Rumors & Roster Building Thread: Part XXVII: Jeff Gorton: A Troubaliever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
One of the reasons I said I'm in the trade Zucc 4 him camp a few days ago. They may want a LD but unless they're taking Staal it doesn't work cap wise (and Staal isn't waiving to go to WPG)

Depends--It is close to home and near where Eric is playing now--it's definitely feasible but I don't see Staal waiving to go RIGHT NOW because the rangers are playing so well.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If Trouba is really all about getting out of Winnipeg, I'd imagine a bridge deal could be a possibility for whoever lands him. Could alleviate some of the cap problems.

Assuming that team is us, and depending on what we send back, that could still be tough as we've already got Miller, Hayes, Vesey and Skjei due for raises in 2 years. Of course, if one or more of those players goes the other way for Trouba, that changes the dynamic.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Heres the Rangers roster and how we got the player..

Pavel Buchnevich- Draft
Jesper Fast- Draft
Michael Grabner - Free Agent
Kevin Hayes - Free Agent
Josh Jooris - Free Agent
Chris Kreider - Draft
Oscar Lindberg - Trade
J.T. Miller - Draft
Rick Nash (A) - Trade
Brandon Pirri - Free Agent
Derek Stepan (A) - Draft
Jimmy Vesey - Free Agent
Mika Zibanejad - Trade
Mats Zuccarello - Free Agent
Adam Clendening - Free Agent
Dan Girardi (A) - Free Agent
Nick Holden - Trade
Kevin Klein - Trade
Ryan McDonagh (C) - Trade
Brady Skjei - Draft
Marc Staal (A) - Draft
Henrik Lundqvist - Draft
Antti Raanta - Trade

So the count is this:
Draft: 8
Trade: 7
Free Agent:8

So the key here isnt just to draft and develop...it's really asset management. of course we arent the blueprint by any stretch of the imagination..there are many ways of doing this..but i think, again, the key is asset management. draft and develop (Henrik, Step, Kreider, etc)..yes. but sign smart free agents (Vesey (Lottery), Hayes (Lottery), Pirri (Savvy), Zucc (Lottery)) and make smart trades Nash (I'll still stand by this trade till the end of time), Raanta (Very very very good asset management), Klein (Good trade...not great), McDonagh (!!!!!), Zib (so far a home run), etc.

There are some bad moves there, or some bad contracts we are paying for right now (Girardi, Staal)...but i think our asset management has been solid.

I'm not so sure I could say the same thing with Winnipeg.

Theyve made some smart moves, but some questionable ones as well.

What they do with Trouba will resonate in that franchise for a long time.
Asset Management. What are they going to do? Are they going to let him miss a season? Are they going to get him to sign just long enough to bolt the minute he becomes a free agent? Are they going to move him right now?

To say they only need a LHD is ridiculous.
They have the 23rd ranked offense currently
19th in goals allowed
25th in PP
20th in PK
9th in SOG
11th in SA

That tells me their goaltending could use a big upgrade...and they could use some finishers not name Laine.

of course this is just looking at stats...i dont watch them anymore now that they arent in Atlanta...but im sure a team with that poor of a record will have problems all over the ice..not just a Top LHD.
I mean, if they sure...Duncan Keith would help that team a lot...but youre not getting him for Trouba.

they have more problems than just a LHD.

But they have 4 rookies in the lineup this year and they are a young team so this is a development year....

The NYR counter that with an average age of 0.5 years older and 3 rookies playing key roles. The difference? You nailed it with the Asset Management.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Assuming that team is us, and depending on what we send back, that could still be tough as we've already got Miller, Hayes, Vesey and Skjei due for raises in 2 years. Of course, if one or more of those players goes the other way for Trouba, that changes the dynamic.

You mean after the 2017-18 season? That 2018 offseason is going to bring a lot of changes:
- Klein, Nash, and Holden all coming off the team--assuming no trades, that is $12.35M of available cap space just for that offseason.
- Staal's NMC becomes a NTC. He'll most assuredly be moved
- Girardi will have been off the team for a year, and assuming he is moved at 50% retained (very, very feasible for this team to do considering how much McDonagh has carried him this year), that's another $2.75M in cap space gained.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
You mean after the 2017-18 season? That 2018 offseason is going to bring a lot of changes:
- Klein, Nash, and Holden all coming off the team--assuming no trades, that is $12.35M of available cap space just for that offseason.
- Staal's NMC becomes a NTC. He'll most assuredly be moved
- Girardi will have been off the team for a year, and assuming he is moved at 50% retained (very, very feasible for this team to do considering how much McDonagh has carried him this year), that's another $2.75M in cap space gained.

So u are sending Staal to Hartford???

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
But they have 4 rookies in the lineup this year and they are a young team so this is a development year....

The NYR counter that with an average age of 0.5 years older and 3 rookies playing key roles. The difference? You nailed it with the Asset Management.

Yup. I couldn't help but laugh when some of their posters said they're bad because they're young. Rangers are half a year older on average and are lightyears ahead in terms of quality.

They need everything, they're just lining up behind the GM who says he wants LH Trouba and nothing else. Their forwards, actually on their team today, are not very good at all as a group.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
He means a trade. Staal will still have the NMC. (And even if he was could be demoted, that'd only save ~$1MM against the cap.)

[Grouses for the umpteenth time about the stupidity of the terminology used to describe these two independent clauses.]

I understand the diff in clauses... that's why his post made no sense

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

it's getting the right mix of players, which Winnipeg hasn't done. The players they HAVE had they've mismanaged. Think about how much better the Kane trade would have been if they moved him prior to another one of his altercations (which you could argue were due to Winnipeg also forcing him to play and not moving a player who was clearly unhappy playing in that city).

I get WPG's angle--they don't want to be ****ed around with snotty players and that's why they are taking this hardline stance. The problem with this angle in this type of business is that your assets actually have feelings, and that has a huge effect on how those assets perform under your watch, under the environment you've created.

Winnipeg has had several players just waft their way through the motions, and a lot of these guys have been very unhappy with WPG overall--at some point ownership needs to step in and start revitalizing the culture. This entire issue with Trouba has less to do with Trouba himself and more to do with the fact that Winnipeg's management team are actively screwing themselves, and over principles, though they matter, do not take a players "person" into the equation at all.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
He means a trade. Staal will still have the NMC. (And even if he was could be demoted, that'd only save ~$1MM against the cap.)

[Grouses for the umpteenth time about the stupidity of the terminology used to describe these two independent clauses.]

According to Cap Friendly, Staal's NMC changes to a modified NTC on July 1st, 2018. He doesn't have the NMC/NTC situation like Girardi, though it does say that the details of the NTC are unknown and we didn't know Girardi had both until this year, so maybe Staal really does have both.

Regardless, a trade is still possible. If there is one thing this organization has shown it's that they find ways to wiggle out of problems.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I understand the diff in clauses... that's why his post made no sense

ummm.. that's exactly why it does make sense?

When Staal's NMC turns to a modofied NTC, he'll be traded.

According to Cap Friendly, Staal's NMC changes to a modified NTC on July 1st, 2018. He doesn't have the NMC/NTC situation like Girardi, though it does say that the details of the NTC are unknown and we didn't know Girardi had both until this year, so maybe Staal really does have both.

Regardless, a trade is still possible. If there is one thing this organization has shown it's that they find ways to wiggle out of problems.

I believe he has the same contract as Girardi. It's foundation is a NMC, which prevents him from being moved at all, and then on July 1st 2018 an NTC is enacted over the NMC, so though he still cannot be sent to Hartford, he can be traded to 17-20 teams (or whatever the team number is--for some reason 12 rings a bell but that might be for Nash)

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
Precisely my point.

We can sit back and take advantage of these situations (though as pointed out last night they're not identical) but it would be a different story if Skjei and Buch decided they wanted to play for Tampa because it's cold here & McD, Nash and Miller were blocking them.

or because of no state tax

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

You'd hope that all of those guys will have earned pay days by then, but that's probably not realistic. Plus with Vesey and Skjei they'd be getting second contracts with no arbitration rights, so I would expect the usual bridge deals for them unless they turn into a consistent 25 goal scorer and top-3 defender, respectively.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
ummm.. that's exactly why it does make sense?

When Staal's NMC turns to a modofied NTC, he'll be traded.

I believe he has the same contract as Girardi. It's foundation is a NMC, which prevents him from being moved at all, and then on July 1st 2018 an NTC is enacted over the NMC, so though he still cannot be sent to Hartford, he can be traded to 17-20 teams (or whatever the team number is--for some reason 12 rings a bell but that might be for Nash)

U said Staal's NMC becomes a NTC. How's is he traded w a no trade clause?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad