Speculation: Trade Rumors & Roster Building Thread: Part XXVI: Halloween Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I literally cannot believe they're still setting the rules the season before the expansion draft. Constantly shifting the ground GMs have to work on is insane. All the rules should have been set before this years draft.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Right, but he'd be protected.

I understand that, but what it does do is cause you to stand to lose someone like Pirri straight our of negotiations. Unreal money going right to an RFA is quite the incentive to leave your team.

This won't affect too many teams, but it's something for teams like Buffalo to think about because you can now lose a guy over solely money reasons

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I literally cannot believe they're still setting the rules the season before the expansion draft. Constantly shifting the ground GMs have to work on is insane. All the rules should have been set before this years draft.

Its the NHL. You are talking about the Sports League that created the cap recapture penalty without grandfathering in contracts from previous years. Talk about unfair? Nothing they do makes sense.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
what the **** is this **** that Vegas can negotiate with ANY Restricted or Unrestricted free agent that doesn't have a contract?!

http://www.espn.com/blog/nhl/post/_...as-vegas-will-get-a-head-start-on-free-agency

What a joke.

At least that exempts the club from losing another unprotected player, but still... knife into every teams back

specifically to avoid another Atlanta/Nashville/Columbus situation where the team is trash out of the gate. the NHL wants Las Vegas to compete right away. it's good business and probably what they should be doing.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Making LV competitive sooner rather than later is better for the league in general.

I, for one, would also prefer to not watch some new expansion team flounder around for 6 years. I'd want them to be exciting and competitive.

Also, if other major sports are going to be moving to LV soon, having a really bad team isn't going to help the NHL.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Considering the way some of these NHL squads are managed, LV has a real opportunity to compete right off the bat.

I imagine next June we'll all be on HF trying to figure out how team x could leave player y available -- and then when LV doesn't select that player, we'll all be even more confused.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
this is a non-issue imo. they can only talk to unprotected players so you are giving them a chance to make sure the guy they are going to pick is willing to sign and they aren't wasting their pick. they aren't getting to steal anyone that they couldn't just claim in the expansion draft anyway

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I understand that, but what it does do is cause you to stand to lose someone like Pirri straight our of negotiations. Unreal money going right to an RFA is quite the incentive to leave your team.

This won't affect too many teams, but it's something for teams like Buffalo to think about because you can now lose a guy over solely money reasons

Eh, it's not like the team can't also talk to their guy at the same time - and besides, you're going to protect anyone you REALLY want to keep.

Furthermore, so what if LV signs one of your RFAs, protected or not? You're still entitled to draft pick compensation. Either you match, or if they blow the guy away with some crazy offer, you get a collection of solid picks (from a team that's sure to be in the top half of the draft).

And one other point to consider: if LV couldn't talk to RFAs before selecting them, they could potentially wind up with a dozen Jacob Trouba situations on their team. Wouldn't THAT be a great way to start a franchise?

I actually think it's important that they have this right.

EDIT: Leetch3 beat me to it.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

They aren't. This rule has been known for a while. It really doesn't mean anything. Players are either protected or they aren't protected. Being a UFA or RFA doesn't protect an unprotected player from Las Vegas being able to negotiate with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad