Speculation: Trade Rumors & Roster Building Thread: Part XXIV "Ghouls, Goblins & Gorton"

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
are there any CREDIBLE sources talking about our team's involvement? I've only seen unreliable sources and pages claiming they know but don't.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I don't understand how you can get rid of Nash and Zucc to "recoup assets" and think the team will be better.

Unless you are moving them in a Brass for Zibb type deal, but honestly that was such a good trade I really don't think its easy to expect a move like that again.

It isn't always about being better today.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Miller will be better than Silfverberg and Montour looks at best a second-pairing. Not even there yet. This isn't even a lateral trade.

Miller is barely better than Silfverberg now, how much more do you think he's going to develop?

and Montour is a great prospect, on what basis can you declare he looks "second pairing at best"?

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Isgree we are probably 2 good PMD from being a true contender. But this team is not far off, I was saying that throughout the off-season and it's why I wanted a Girardi buyout so we could go after someone like Demers or try to keep Yandle. If we can get Vatanen that would be nice even if it costs us Miller. But I think if we get a Vatanen, or Trouba, we are pretty damn close.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Miller is barely better than Silfverberg now, how much more do you think he's going to develop?

and Montour is a great prospect, on what basis can you declare he looks "second pairing at best"?

That's what I'm trying to figure out. Montour is really sold short by some here. He manhandled the AHL last year, and he'd be in the NHL now if it weren't for them already having 9 NHL d under contract. Same thing with Julius Honka in Dallas.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I don't understand how you can get rid of Nash and Zucc to "recoup assets" and think the team will be better.

Unless you are moving them in a Brass for Zibb type deal, but honestly that was such a good trade I really don't think its easy to expect a move like that again.

I think there will be one more deal like the Brass for Zib deal and then a couple of others to restock the farm system a bit looking a bit further out. It also increases the cap space and gives Gorton some wiggle room to put his stamp on the team either via another trade or FA.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
It isn't always about being better today.

Right, but he is saying that the team will be better next season without them. I don't understand how. It's like a player becomes 29-30 years old and they automatically become expendable like they can be replaced without any issue.

Zuccarello would be missed tremendously if he is dealt away.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Right, but he is saying that the team will be better next season without them. I don't understand how. It's like a player becomes 29-30 years old and they automatically become expendable like they can be replaced without any issue.

Zuccarello would be missed tremendously if he is dealt away.

Other players become available. Or Gorton can re-allocate assets and go heavy after, say Shattenkirk.

So as an example:

To ANA:
Zuccarello + Fast + Glass (in AHL)

To NYR:
Silfverberg + Vatanen

At deadline:

To STL:
Rick Nash

To NYR:
STL 1st + Rattie

To EDM:
Klein

To NYR:
EDM 2nd '17 + EDM 2nd '18

In the off-season:
Rangers sign Shattenkirk to 6 years deal worth 6 million/season

Rangers buy-out Girardi

Las Vegas takes Raanta in expansion

New Rangers team:

Kreider-Zib-Buch
Vesey-Stepan-Silfverberg
Miller-Hayes-Rattie
Lindberg-Nieves-Grabner
_______

McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Staal-Vatanen
Skjei-_______
Holden

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Which I can certainly agree with. What I don't agree with is that every deal this team makes has to be for "the now" because we're back to being in "win now" mode.
I don't think Gorton is in win-now mode, I think he's in win-in-the-relatively-near-future mode.

An aside: Hank can't be the crux of the Rangers' window. If he's their best player they will likely not be good enough to win a Cup. They need to build a team that can win with a decent starter. The last team that won with a goalie stealing the show was 2011 with Tim Thomas, and Bergeron and Chara were elite players (Bergeron still is). I don't want to hear about Quick's Conn Smythe that team steamrolled their way through the playoffs like I've never seen before.

Last edited:

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Other players become available. Or Gorton can re-allocate assets and go heavy after, say Shattenkirk.

So as an example:

To ANA:
Zuccarello + Fast + Glass (in AHL)

To NYR:
Silfverberg + Vatanen

At deadline:

To STL:
Rick Nash

To NYR:
STL 1st + Rattie

To EDM:
Klein

To NYR:
EDM 2nd '17 + EDM 2nd '18

In the off-season:
Rangers sign Shattenkirk to 6 years deal worth 6 million/season

Rangers buy-out Girardi

Las Vegas takes Raanta in expansion

New Rangers team:

Kreider-Zib-Buch
Vesey-Stepan-Silfverberg
Miller-Hayes-Rattie
Lindberg-Nieves-Grabner
_______

McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Staal-Vatanen
Skjei-_______
Holden

That forward group without Nash and Zucc looks much less threatening.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I don't want to move Zucc as he is one of my favorites, but in a deal like that I probably would have to accept it. Doubt the Ducks give us Vatanen AND a replacement forward, though. But who knows.

Would be insane if Zib and Silfverberg are both on this team as future pieces. After we beat the Sens in 2012 I took a liking to many of their players and have watched them a lot since. Zib and Silfverberg were two of my favorites.

You put together some good trades there but we obviously don't know what the other club would think about those.

I guess the only thing I could say is that Zucc cannot be dealt to "recoup assets". The Zucc deal you proposed is a hockey trade, as you know. I would only be open to moving Zucc in that type of trade.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
That forward group without Nash and Zucc looks much less threatening.

Yes, but depth and the ability to create offense from the back-end can off-set that. A good offensive defenseman can help create points for his forwards.

I don't want to move Zucc as he is one of my favorites, but in a deal like that I probably would have to accept it. Doubt the Ducks give us Vatanen AND a replacement forward, though. But who knows.

Would be insane if Zib and Silfverberg are both on this team as future pieces. After we beat the Sens in 2012 I took a liking to many of their players and have watched them a lot since. Zib and Silfverberg were two of my favorites.

You put together some good trades there but we obviously don't know what the other club would think about those.

I guess the only thing I could say is that Zucc cannot be dealt to "recoup assets". The Zucc deal you proposed is a hockey trade, as you know. I would only be open to moving Zucc in that type of trade.

I agree. And I know I will be ripped apart for the deals themselves, so be it. They were just the types of deals I foresee happening. One in the mold of Zib/Brass and then a couple with an eye more towards the future to help restock a bit.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I don't think Gorton is in win-now mode, I think he's in win-in-the-relatively-near-future mode.

An aside: Hank can't be the crux of the Rangers' window. If he's their best player they will likely not be good enough to win a Cup. They need to build a team that can win with a decent starter. The last team that won with a goalie stealing the show was 2011 with Tim Thomas, and Bergeron and Chara were elite players (Bergeron still is). I don't want to hear about Quick's Conn Smythe that team steamrolled their way through the playoffs like I've never seen before.

Totally agree. I happen to think this is a "whatever happens" sort of year. Take advantage of good opportunities where you can, and hopefully the team is stronger next year and back in the hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad