Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Have we been linked to any NCAA players? Usually I see something by now but this year nothing

Our "braintrust" consists on 4 people. One whose sole focus has been on a Karlsson trade for about 3 months now, the other guy is just a personal trainer, the third part of our management team is also coaching the team, while the 4th is Eugene Melnyk. Probably all reasons why we aren't linked to any NCAA players. We don't have enough resources to go out and negotiate/sell the player on this team.

Reactions: bert

wilfred

Jan 13, 2010
New Bunswick
I agree...Karlsson could be the first domino. So if Duchene won't resign, you might as well trade Hoffman because his value will never be higher then it will be this summer. At that point it would be full rebuild.

That all said unless you have assurances from Duchene that he would resign without Karlsson why put Ryan in any Karlsson deal. The sens will have to get to the cap floor if these dominoes start falling.

I hope Doiron has a plan this off-season because it sure looks like his back is to the wall.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
well let's call it that then

so much is based on luck. if we draft Kopitar instead of Lee 12 or 13 years ago then we probably have 3 more playoffs and a few more series wins.

what I find really incompetent is the perennial bottom feeders. how can they not get better?

I just find us in the middle. need another couple of elite players to consistently make it every year
Luck has nothing to do with drafting Lee instead of Kopitar. It wasn't random selections.

The perennial bottom feeders don't improve for a ton of reasons but imo the two major reasons are poor drafting, specifically in the mid to late rounds and low budgets for staff and players.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If Karlsson gets traded for futures what are the chances that Duchene resigns?
If we make a competitive offer, I'm very confident he stays and I think it is Dorion's priority this summer beyond trading Karlsson.

I think the Karlsson exodus is overplayed a bit when it comes to keeping him. He will want to get paid as his number one priority like 99% of all other pro athletes, the rest is secondary.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

wilfred

Jan 13, 2010
New Bunswick
Luck has nothing to do with drafting Lee instead of Kopitar. It wasn't random selections.

The perennial bottom feeders don't improve for a ton of reasons but imo the two major reasons are poor drafting, specifically in the mid to late rounds and low budgets for staff and players.
Don't forget about developing players

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Duchene just learned better than anybody else about the NHL's parity. He went from a team that had something like 40 points last season to a team that was sitting 2nd/3rd in the Atlantic coming off of being agoalawayfromthecupfinal™ and now his former team is gearing up to possibly make the playoffs while his new team is in the running for last place.

If the Senators show him the money, and he likes being in Ontario enough, maybe there's a chance he stays. If he wants to go to a more competitive team and avoid a rebuild, there's nothing we can do. But even then, what team has the cap space to offer him 7M-8M on a long term deal that is a shoe in to be competitive each and every season?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Duchene just learned better than anybody else about the NHL's parity. He went from a team that had something like 40 points last season to a team that was sitting 2nd/3rd in the Atlantic coming off of being agoalawayfromthecupfinal™ and now his former team is gearing up to possibly make the playoffs while his new team is in the running for last place.

If the Senators show him the money, and he likes being in Ontario enough, maybe there's a chance he stays. If he wants to go to a more competitive team and avoid a rebuild, there's nothing we can do. But even then, what team has the cap space to offer him 7M-8M on a long term deal that is a shoe in to be competitive each and every season?

IMO he likes it here and he'll stay for an offer that is in the market value ball park.
I think Dorion will do his best Schmooze job on him ... being part of the solution and how they plan to rebuild blah blah... I think Duchene hated going thru what he went through in Colorado being on the fence for so long and will want to avoid that. Its close to home and he seems like a regular guy .. that would fit in great in this area

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Surprised nobody is talking about Doiron watching Oilers 2 games in a row

It's probably Klefbom for Hoffman related.

Hoffman fits what the Oilers have been said to be after, a speedy scoring winger.

The Senators would ideally want to trade Hoffman for a young top 4 NHL defender (per Ken Warren).

Klefbom is cost controlled at 4/4.5/4.5/4.5/5.169 for the next five seasons where as Hoffman will be a UFA in two seasons and likely demand a raise from his current 5.65M salary.

It's a buy low proposition on Klefbom as he is coming off of a bad season. It's a bit risky. If he can come back strong and move on from a bad season, we'd get a legitimate top 4D for the next half decade. What are the odds we're able to retain Hoffman in two years? What are the odds someone else meets a high futures based asking price for him? To me, Hoffman for Klefbom makes a lot of sense for both sides. It'd be nice if we could extort a pick like the Oilers '18 2nd or 3rd from them somehow in the deal, but that seems way too optimistic. 1 for 1 would be fair.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It's probably Klefbom for Hoffman related.

Hoffman fits what the Oilers have been said to be after, a speedy scoring winger.

The Senators would ideally want to trade Hoffman for a young top 4 NHL defender (per Ken Warren).

Klefbom is cost controlled at 4/4.5/4.5/4.5/5.169 for the next five seasons where as Hoffman will be a UFA in two seasons and likely demand a raise from his current 5.65M salary.

It's a buy low proposition on Klefbom as he is coming off of a bad season. It's a bit risky. If he can come back strong and move on from a bad season, we'd get a legitimate top 4D for the next half decade. What are the odds we're able to retain Hoffman in two years? What are the odds someone else meets a high futures based asking price for him? To me, Hoffman for Klefbom makes a lot of sense for both sides. It'd be nice if we could extort a pick like the Oilers '18 2nd or 3rd from them somehow in the deal, but that seems way too optimistic. 1 for 1 would be fair.

Edmonton Oilers defenceman Oscar Klefbom done for the season … after a game or two

So we can expect to give up a draft pick as well then.

Last edited:

GuyBoucherEvilGenius

Nov 23, 2017
Why Nugent-Hopkins is auditioning for both Oilers and Senators - Sportsnet.ca

Suggests a Hoffman for RNH deal is cooking.

Hoffman would probably score 40 on McDavid's wing. What an absolutely perfect fit. Both have blazing speed, one is an all-time level distributor and one is a sniper.

RNH would be a solid young 2C behind Duchene, and you have to love Pageau in a 3C role.

Interesting idea. I'd rather keep Hoffman though. I don't want to trade a guy with his shot, speed, and filthy mitts (+ chemistry with Duchene).

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Hoffman would probably score 40 on McDavid's wing. What an absolutely perfect fit. Both have blazing speed, one is an all-time level distributor and one is a sniper.

RNH would be a solid young 2C behind Duchene, and you have to love Pageau in a 3C role.

Interesting idea. I'd rather keep Hoffman though. I don't want to trade a guy with his shot, speed, and filthy mitts (+ chemistry with Duchene).
How about Ryan deal? Edmonton could be the western team. Ryan and EK for RNH, klefbom ++(puljujarvi, larsson, nurse, Yamamoto, lucic, ??)

There I think I'm on to something.

Last edited:

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
How about Ryan deal? Edmonton could be the western team. Ryan and EK for RNH, klefbom ++(puljujarvi, larsson, nurse, Yamamoto, lucic, ??)

There I think I'm on to something.
If we take Lucic sure then. I think I'd rather have Bobby...

I wonder if Chia would do a Kleft for Ceci trade. I'd be up for that. Also up for Kleft + 2nd/3rd for Hoff.

I expect our immediate goals by Dorion is to have a young, solidified top 4 D core and goal tending for next year.

So maybe a trade of Condon to a team (for scraps) and targetting Lehner, Gillies, or another G tender.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

don't disagree but if we draft svech or zadina then moving hoff for a need aint that bad. in a way

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Do we really want RNH at a $6 mil cap hit?

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Do we really want RNH at a $6 mil cap hit?

no.

There comes a point where you have to plan for some of your high end picks to come in and spread out your dollars on ELC's and bridge deals.

The scenario being put forward here is that we sign Duchene long term, then bring RNH at 6 million per to play behind him through 20-21.

Logan Brown has to at least become our #2 C in that window.

You can't be Ottawa Senators competitive with Duchene at 7-8 million and RNH and 6 million down the middle long term. I realize salaries are going up, but that isn't an elite combo like Crosby/Malkin that you will pay top dollar to build around.

Don't get me wrong, RNH is OK, and he might have another gear somewhere else, but I don' think that's highly likely actually. Not the right play IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
God, I don't want RNH.

They're putting him with McDavid now? Talk about shopping him out.

We won't pay Turris but we'll pay RNH?

How does that make any sense?

I like how the article says this:

"But do you ever trade a well-rounded centreman like Nugent-Hopkins for a winger in Hoffman? That’s a tough deal to swallow for Edmonton — unless you get a little something more in the deal and Hoffman comes in and scores 35."

Meanwhile, RNH is playing left-wing to make him more attractive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad