Upgrade your account today to enjoy the forums ad-free.
Click here to upgrade: Account Upgrades

Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Discussion in 'Ottawa Senators' started by Micklebot, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy Registered User

Now :laugh: .... He dragged Karlsson into it? He was being traded with Karlsson. He knew it ,... Everyone involved knew it.. He didn't do the dragging. Dorion in his "listening" on deals for Karlsson decided that he should also "listen" on deals where Ryan was dragged into it. He did not break any news. He said what he knew, and was made to believe. That was not far off from what was being reported by the insiders... Ryan and Karlsson were very likely communicating about it as it was transpiring. And just as many of us assumed Dorion spun it afterwards. Karlsson , likely after speaking with Dorion did as well.. I am not saying Karlsson misled anyone , maybe he was just being a good captain and following what he was told.

2. Sens of Anarchy

It starts at the top. I should not expect absolute loyalty from my employees if I did not conduct myself in a way that commanded respect.
    Dorion is inexperienced.
    Lee is a tag along
    Melnyk is just an ******* with a capital A
    The team imploded this year
    Belleville and development is brutal

They have left precious little for anyone to be proud of

Benjamin, Icelevel, Cosmix and 6 others like this.
  3. Gil Scott Perron

Gil Scott Perron The Belleville Sens Will Not Be Televised

100%. I am not blaming the employees/leakers whatsoever. Hard to have loyalty to the organization when the head is rotten.

Benjamin and topshelf15 like this.
  4. branch

branch Registered User

This team has been operating with the same shoestring boys club for the last 11 years. We shouldn't be surprised.

5. Sens of Anarchy

So nothing has changed as far as you are concerned? Ok

Gil Scott Perron likes this.
  6. branch

branch Registered User

We've employed the same core group of hockey execs since then. Why would it change? This team has failed internally to evolve with the direction of the sport.

7. Dave Sparky Allison

Dave Sparky Allison 2-22-1

San Jose and Anaheim have made the playoffs pretty consistently in the last decade. Montreal has made it just as often as we have, actually probably more. This is just off the top of my head.

It’s such a cop out to say it’s all parity. It shows that some people around here have very low standards and don’t hold anyone in the organization accountable for being bad at their jobs. They just say cool words like “meh”.

8. Wondercarrot

Wondercarrot Le Doormat

Shawn Simpson said it is quite likely his agent as Newport Sports is 100% plugged in.

"When a player has news about a potential trade. That information usually comes from his agent. And in the case of Ryan & Newport sports, it's almost always very factual and accurate."

9. BonkTastic

BonkTastic ಠ_ಠ

Well, we used to employ a lot more of them.

Part of the problem is that we've hemorrhaged talent at the higher levels of hockey ops, and either flat-out have not replaced them, or replaced from within and then not replaced those positions.

I might argue that the bigger problem right now has been the shrinking of Hockey Ops over the last 3-ish years, more than it has been a cronyism problem like you suggest (though clearly, your point is still a big issue with how the org is run, I'm not trying to suggest otherwise).

10. aragorn

aragorn YES WE CAN

Geez, this thread sounds angry today. Does it really matter who did what first? The fact is that the Sens were trying to move Karlsson but wanted to include Ryan in the deal to get out from his contract. I think that has become common knowledge that we can all agree with, EM seems to want to reduce his player salary expenditures. Whether they had a deal or didn't is really irrelevant because the deal never went through but from what we are hearing in the media they were certainly open to dealing both Karlsson & Ryan.

Now we have to wait until the draft and/or the summer to go through this process again & it's quite likely that any Karlsson deal would likely include Ryan too. Maybe someone should start a poll to see what most people think will happen, will they re-sign Karlsson or trade him? Will they have to include Ryan in the deal or not? My guess is that they have until July 1, 2019 to either re-sign Karlsson or trade him & I'm leaning towards them trading both Karlsson & Ryan before next season to save money & rebuild.

11. JD1

JD1 Registered User

I don't think it's a cop out at all. for every team that's made the playoffs more than 50% of the time you have a team that has made it less. in the east.

look at Philly, Carolina, buffalo, NYI, Florida, Columbus. we first made the playoffs in 97 and made them 11 years in a row. the past 10 have been pretty average.

12. JD1

JD1 Registered User

where does it say who pulled out?

13. BondraTime

BondraTime Registered User

I had said after that was speculation based on my interpretation, that I incorrectly put out there in a definitive manner

14. JD1

JD1 Registered User

I read that article. There's a lot said in there by Ryan and a lot said by Brennan. Ryan clearly used the word speculation.

what I find surprising for a fan base is how quickly people here are to interpret something in the most negative way possible

I just read two pages of this thread. there just isn't enough information out there to understand what happened. speculating one way is no different than speculating a different way.

all that is certain is that discussions were held and they are still senators.

pzeeman and aragorn like this.
  15. Dave Sparky Allison

It’s a cop out if you blame it all on parity. If you acknowledge if it’s one of the reasons, I think that’s fair.

16. BondraTime

BondraTime Registered User

It's my interpretation, not everyone's. Most/all people that responded to it viewed it the way you did, disagreeing with me.

That's how I interpreted it, had nothing to do with automatically going to the negative side.

Sens of Anarchy likes this.
  17. JD1

JD1 Registered User

well let's call it that then

so much is based on luck. if we draft Kopitar instead of Lee 12 or 13 years ago then we probably have 3 more playoffs and a few more series wins.

what I find really incompetent is the perennial bottom feeders. how can they not get better?

I just find us in the middle. need another couple of elite players to consistently make it every year

18. JD1

JD1 Registered User

sorry I didn't mean you specifically and I can see your interpretation

I mean in general with this fan base and any news about the org.

19. The Lewler

The Lewler GOAT BUDGET AINEC

Meme Enforcement Officer
    I posted this earlier in the Karlsson thread but it got kinda crazy in there , so I didn't get much discussion going.

#1. I want them to re-sign EK65 and am going to be apoplectic if they do it, regardless of the return.

#2. After the deals that were made at the deadline, who do you fine speculators think has the assets to offer a better deal then what was apparently offered for EK at the deadline?

Examples:

• I'm of the mind that Tampa Bay would appear to be out of the effort now that they gave up some assets and picks for McDonagh.
    • Vegas appears to still have the cap space but they gave up a lot of picks for Tatar already, would they give up more picks and assets to get Karlsson? Does it depend how their playoff drive goes?

So who can/will offer a better package than what was offered at the deadline?

Carolina?

20. armani

armani Guy Likes

I hear Lee also also holds the janitor title. I hear Dorion also holds Melnyk's briefcase (which holds Eugene's share of Bart's Bar tip jar) as the owner struts around CTC.

21. BonkTastic

BonkTastic ಠ_ಠ

New 'Canes owner seems to want to make a big splash, and basically fired Francis for playing it too safe.

I'd put them on the list, for sure.

danielpalfredsson likes this.
  22. armani

armani Guy Likes

Gabby time! He will score 15 next year.

23. Dave Sparky Allison

Teams like Arizona and Carolina hardly spend any money. I’m not surprised they never make it.

Gil Gunderson likes this.
  24. Sens Mile

Sens Mile Registered User

Have we been linked to any NCAA players? Usually I see something by now but this year nothing

25. Nac Mac Feegle

Nac Mac Feegle wee & free

After so much time operating on a nothing budget, and losing key personnel, I'd be willing to bet morale is at an all-time low. It's one thing to bull your way through a few lean years, but no one should be expected to cut and cut and cut for 11 years and counting.

branch likes this.