Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Haha people are still disillusioned about Smith, eh? Gonna have to rename him Danny Ocean the way he pulled a heist on this management and fan base.

Dude isn't worth anything. He's just an empty 3.25 cap hit. You take a conditional 7th if any GM is dumb enough to bite. Unfortunatley the only idiot in the league who values slow moving black holes is the manager of our team.

Reactions: branch

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Smith is extremely overrated by this board. Have to hand it to Smitty though, he finessed management to think that's he's a 15+ gritty goal scorer but once he signed the contract he disappeared like a Houdini.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
3M is what veteran third liners get paid.

Look at Beleskey for an example of the type of contract Smith could have gotten if he were willing to hit the open market as a mercenary.

He's not playing fantastic, but he's still got a similar point per game total to Dzingel, JGP, and Pyatt to put him firmly in that second tier of scorers. I thought Smith showed a bit of chemistry with Duchene when they were placed together.

I wouldn't be against trading high on him, but I'm guessing I am not as down on him as some in this thread. The argument for trading him is that he'll be 30 years old at the start of next season with 3 years remaining on his deal. While having a player signed until 33 isn't alarming, Smith plays a style that sometimes leads to players declining earlier. While 3.25M is ballpark for a veteran 3LW/C, as a budget team it helps to be more risk adverse with the contracts we keep on the books.

The pros for keeping him, he took a hometown discount to stay here and that should be rewarded, there isn't a big enough sample size to dictate that his play has dropped off. Yeah, he's not a 25 goal scorer, but nobody sane should have expected that, and he wasn't paid to be that. For the most part, everybody has looked bad for the last dozen games prior to the start of this win streak. He also apparently is a big part of the leadership core and we've already lost Methot, Neil, and Kelly as vets in the room last year.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I think the slump is about to bust, but we should take advantage of the sellers market we've created for ourselves. The re-tool should still be in effect.

Smith = Gone
Burrows = Gone
Oduya = Gone
Ceci = Listen to offers
Hoffman = Listen to offers
Phaneuf = see if anyone can take him

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Smith = Gone

I'll keep Smith, thanks.

I can't believe I'm saying that after years of seeing him as a spare part, but honestly he's the kind of guy you keep around if you are re-tooling. He's such a versatile player, he's going to be the guy to fill holes in the lineup after you trade other forwards away.

Reactions: Benjamin

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I'll keep Smith, thanks.

I can't believe I'm saying that after years of seeing him as a spare part, but honestly he's the kind of guy you keep around if you are re-tooling. He's such a versatile player, he's going to be the guy to fill holes in the lineup after you trade other forwards away.

Watching him in the top 6 is a nightmare. If he's filling vacancies in the line up we are not in a very good position to win. His price tag is also way too high for what he brings.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I don't see how you can't apply that to most of our forwards during this past loosing streak.

Not sure why Smith is the fall guy on that one.

He's just in general looked like trash every since he signed his ticket. Everyone is slumping yes, but he's been slumping since 2016.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Smith is a third liner on this team, and is not the problem. The sens need to stop making moves and develop chemistry again, too much change is whats got us to this point.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Smith is a third liner on this team, and is not the problem. The sens need to stop making moves and develop chemistry again, too much change is whats got us to this point.
Agreed... Calling Smith a top 6 foreward and lining him up there doesn't make him one..
The lines the last couple games have been better ...Smith Pageau and Pyatt is a very good 3rd line and we should keep them together.

Trade Smith... sure what's the return? For me its the same with any player what's the return? and does it make sense.. If we are a game out of the playoff picture or 10 games out it makes a difference.

Reactions: bert

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Watching him in the top 6 is a nightmare. If he's filling vacancies in the line up we are not in a very good position to win. His price tag is also way too high for what he brings.

He is a 3rd liner PK guy... that can bounce up now and then and win some draws ... Dorion never replaced MacArthur. So Boucher played Smith up there... He is paid according to what he brings and belongs imo.. He is not paid like a top 6 scorer.

I would like to see him play more physical and win more puck battles. ... Just be a great grinder.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Smith is not playing well at all, despite his decent point total. Most of his points consist of invisible assists that he didn't really contribute to.

Unlike most guys with size and speed, he's not particularly good defensively. He's no longer throwing big hits or standing up for teammates regularly, and has a tendency to take stupid penalties. Perhaps his most frustrating quality is that he regularly kills chances with his lack of talent and hockey sense.

This isn't just a bad stretch of player either. This has been going on for the better part of a season when you include his bad play down the stretch last year, and his dismal playoff performance. He took his foot of the gas as soon as he got his big extension.

Dude can thank Stone for making him look like a 25G scorer, just like how Greening can thank Spezza for making him look like a 40P guy.

We'd be smart to get rid of his contract. Smith could easily go the way of a guy like Beleskey, and then we're stuck with a 3.25 million dollar 4th liner/AHLer.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Smith is a victim of expectations being too high after he played almost all of 15-16 with Stone. I'm very happy with him at 3.25 honestly.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
You guys would seriously give away Brassard for a very late 1st and a prospect who may never become more than an AHL regular? What did Brassard do to you guys??

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Smith is a victim of expectations being too high after he played almost all of 15-16 with Stone. I'm very happy with him at 3.25 honestly.

3.25M should get you more than 2G in 22GP

Management was fooled into thinking he was better offensively than he is by his 25G season and his 20G+ pace when he was re-signed.

He's a 3rd line winger at best without Stone feeding him pucks. Not worth 3.25M for 3 more years.

Reactions: Lana Del Rey

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
You guys would seriously give away Brassard for a very late 1st and a prospect who may never become more than an AHL regular? What did Brassard do to you guys??

Brassard has produced at a 43P/82GP pace in his time in Ottawa with offensive time alongside our best players at even strength and on the PP.

He's been mediocre. Certainly not the 1b/2a center we were promised. More like a 2b/3a ala Pageau.

I'd deal him for Sprong and a 1st in a second.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I think they would be smart to shop Z.Smith and see what's out there.

If the team skids out the playoff door completely in the next month, then he should be offloaded for whatever futures you can muster.

It's not that I don't like him, but he's not producing , and he's not bringing anything else to the table and he's paid too much for that.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
I think they would be smart to shop Z.Smith and see what's out there.

If the team skids out the playoff door completely in the next month, then he should be offloaded for whatever futures you can muster.

It's not that I don't like him, but he's not producing , and he's not bringing anything else to the table and he's paid too much for that.

He would be a good add for a playoff team. I don't want him gone but this would be a sensible time to move him given our lack of picks this draft. Two 2nds would be good.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Brassard has produced at a 43P/82GP pace in his time in Ottawa with offensive time alongside our best players at even strength and on the PP.

He's been mediocre. Certainly not the 1b/2a center we were promised. More like a 2b/3a ala Pageau.

I'd deal him for Sprong and a 1st in a second.

I genuinely don't know how good Sprong is or how he has risen or fallen since his draft year, but I think the problem with how you are assessing Brassard is that it is ignoring the context of our team. He was 4th in scoring among forwards last season, and is currently 3rd (by a large margin) this season.

Whether it's a consequence of "the slump", or the system we play, our forwards aren't putting up gaudy numbers. I won't argue that Brassard has been everything he was expected to be, but I think it's false to categorize our 3rd/4th leading scorer the last two seasons (so far) as possible being a 3A center.

Unless we're fully blowing it up (Which we're apparently not at this point) I don't see the point in trading Brassard for that type of return right now. I'm not very familiar with Sprong at, so I can't comment directly on that proposal, but the typical 1st+Prospect type return should be available to us at the deadline next year, and Brassard is very cheap relative to his role on this team, so unless a deal we simply can't refuse is proposed, we might as well hold on to him until closer to the 2019 deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad