Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
that's not what I said or meant. relative to the role is Ceci as a 2 struggling more than EK as a 1? or Andy as a G1? very clearly no he isn't
Ohhh. Well. Andy IS a number 1. And EK IS a number 1. Less worried.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
One of the all time worst takes in HFSens history in this thread.

Can you just hurry up and say you wish Nicole Anderson would stop hogging the spotlight and ruining her husbands play with her lame cancer fight? Then we can lock you up as the GOAT .

I encourage everyone to add this user to their ignore list.

I encourage you to not be a hypocrite

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Even given EK's struggles and Anderson's, Ceci has struggled WAY more this season in his role than the other two. Ceci has played well in the past two games, but that's TWO GAMES people. Not sure what is very clear about that, 2 good games doesn't magically erase 28 bad ones.

I think Chezzz that your feelings about this player cloud your judgement.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'd be up for trading Hoffman IF we got some kind of good AND proven "gets to the net and score" player in return. Otherwise, I agree we should keep him (even if I think we overrate him quite a bit)

We need to be a lot more assertive in the crease.

No idea what the contract situation is but say Hoffman for Simmonds I'd be down for.

Reactions: aragorn

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
No idea what the contract situation is but say Hoffman for Simmonds I'd be down for.

Contract situation makes it an unnecessary risk.

Simmonds is a UFA in year, and has been woefully underpaid his whole career. He probably wants to cash in on his last big contract, and I doubt we'd be the team that would offer him the most money.

Could easily be trading Hoffman for 1.5YRs of Simmonds.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Trading Hoffman for anything less would be stupid. Yes he has his faults but he's a rare talent on a very good contract, something we don't have much of.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I wonder if Pittsburgh's major shake up will be Letang - could be a smart option if we do end up having to trade Karlsson..but until then:

Phaneuf-Karlsson
Chabot-Letang

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I wonder if Pittsburgh's major shake up will be Letang - could be a smart option if we do end up having to trade Karlsson..but until then:

Phaneuf-Karlsson
Chabot-Letang

And what arm and leg would we have to give up to get a true #1 D like Letang?

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
Letang is basically Karlsson, but older and worse, especially defensively. And he has a massive 7.25M cap hit.

We don't need another offensive RHD behind Karlsson, at least not at the price it would take to acquire him. There's only so many o-zone starts and only so much PP time.

Don't see him being a fit here at all. If Karlsson stays he's completely redundant, if Karlsson leaves or gets traded then the last thing a rebuilding team needs is a 30+ year old 7.25M d-man who's had injury issues in the past. We already have 2 7M boat anchors with NTCs let's not add a third.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I don't think we'll go after Simmonds because Dorion is apparently after youth, which I think translates to "players who cost less because they are on their ELC or non-arb RFA bridge deals". Which isn't necessarily the wrong move, it is what it is.

I don't think it's a coincidence that 3 of the 4 players mentioned generating interest (Ceci, Hoffman, Pageau) will be paid either UFA money or close to UFA money relative to their role next season, and Dorion is said to be going after "youth" in exchange for these players

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I wouldn't touch Letang. Health/injury problems, and he's also had the benefit of playing with Crosby+Malkin and more recently Kessel. If the Penguins ever trade him, I think his production is going to plummet. At the same time, if you're a Karlsson fan and not an Ottawa fan, I think you probably want to see Karlsson go to Pittsburgh where he'd put up career numbers.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Letang has been the most productive defender P/PG wise other than Karlsson over the last 4 or 5 seasons (forget the exact time frame), and that a guy like Justin Schultz put up career numbers as the Penguins go to defender when Letang was out for most of last year.

Reactions: aragorn

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
The most confusing part of all this is what does Turris or his wife have to gain by miss-representing the situation?

Both had strong ties to the community, perhaps rumours that he was unhappy under Boucher are true and wanted out, but he wanted to save face with friends and the community back in Ottawa?

The most logical thing I can think of is that Ottawa did not feel comfortable with Turris going forward, and wanted to change/upgrade, but Turris is saying he was under the impression the opposite was true and that the management liked and wanted to keep him.

To make matters worse, Dorion is referring to himself in the third person, which I inherently distrust.
Dorion has gone third-person once in all the statements I've ever heard him make. It sounds goofy, but Jorge Garcia doesn't think it's a habit of Dorion's.
I don't think the GM needs a narrative to defend this deal. He obtained a player who's younger, faster, stronger and more skilled than Turris, and it will look good in the long run. Kyle has fit his niche in Nashville very well, and I'm happy for him. He was a good soldier here.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Even given EK's struggles and Anderson's, Ceci has struggled WAY more this season in his role than the other two. Ceci has played well in the past two games, but that's TWO GAMES people. Not sure what is very clear about that, 2 good games doesn't magically erase 28 bad ones.

It has not been 28 bad ones. Despite having to play the toughest opponents on a night in night out basis and getting the worst offensive available minutes, he is still very strong in the +/- category.

Arguably if he plays so much more challenged minutes and was doing so bad, then he should have the worst +/- for D men by far, yet he is at the top.

Let that sink in. Despite far worse opportunities, he seem ahead of the others.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It has not been 28 bad ones. Despite having to play the toughest opponents on a night in night out basis and getting the worst offensive available minutes, he is still very strong in the +/- category.

Arguably if he plays so much more challenged minutes and was doing so bad, then he should have the worst +/- for D men by far, yet he is at the top.

Let that sink in. Despite far worse opportunities, he seem ahead of the others.

give it up...there's not much logic around here related to Ceci. If he fails in his role relative to others in their roles....if the perception is that bad there probably isn't much recovering it

GuyBoucherEvilGenius

Nov 23, 2017
If I am not a conspiracy nutcase, and Dorion is doing what I think he is doing, he's playing things right for how he should move Karlsson.

That doesn't mean he should move Karlsson....just that if he has to, he is playing the right cards. That is by not shopping him, but putting it out there that he'd move him if he got an offer he can't refuse.

Karlsson gets the biggest return after July 1st of next year because teams acquiring him could be given permission to talk to Karlsson's agent about an extension prior to pulling the trigger on a trade. That same thing cannot currently be done, so teams would be taking a risk that if they give up major assets for Karlsson prior to July 1st 2018, he might refuse an extension and set them up to lose him only 1.5 seasons after acquiring him.

That's why it makes sense for Dorion not to actively shop Karlsson right now. He won't get a better return than he would after July 1st 2018, and by actively shopping Karlsson now he would also risk alienating Karlsson and completely shutting the book on extending him. Even if Melnyk has dictated (or Dorion for that matter, but 'lol') that they will only sign Karlsson for a hometown discount (let's say 9.5M per season) and nothing more....whose to say Karlsson won't have a change of heart between now and July 1st and reluctantly sign that kind of deal? \

Dorion can still listen to offers now and maintain plausible deniability about shopping Karlsson. There's no downside other than the minor risk of a career ending injury.

I will say, trade deadline 2019 is not the time to trade Karlsson. It's too big of a risk because a season ending injury would mean the Senators would lose their opportunity to trade Karlsson, as he'd have zero incentive to sign a contract in a trade when he's already not playing until after July 1st 2019. If the Senators trade Karlsson, they have to do it before the puck drops for the 18-19 season if they want the least risk and the best return.

Agreed - all very good points.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Summer Deals:
To NJ: E Karlsson RD & Anderson G
To Ott: Hall LW & Schnieder G

OR

To Columbus: Karlsson RD & Anderson G
To Ottawa: Jones RD & Bobrovsky G

Status
Not open for further replies.