Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
People don't like that Chabot is being

If Methot was still here and Chabot was playing third pairing minutes, I don't think as many people would be upset with the way he's being handled.

Oduya isn't great or anything, but he can handle the big minutes needed to be EK's partner. Chabot was getting spot duty with EK when we were pressing for points, but if Guy is trying to ease him and keep him sheltered to start, he can't very well make him EK's regular partner.

He'll eventually be playing big minutes, just be patient, right now he's on the third pairing and not being rushed like we all claim we want. :)

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
Oduya isn't great or anything, but he can handle the big minutes needed to be EK's partner. Chabot was getting spot duty with EK when we were pressing for points, but if Guy is trying to ease him and keep him sheltered to start, he can't very well make him EK's regular partner.

He'll eventually be playing big minutes, just be patient, right now he's on the third pairing and not being rushed like we all claim we want. :)
Saying that Oduya can "handle" the big minutes required to play alongside EK would imply that he has some consistent level of success with those minutes and deployment.

He was fine last game but that doesn't erase the 20+ other games where he's looked anywhere from "below average" to "shouldn't even be in the NHL". Both Claesson and Harpur (at least imo) have looked significantly better alongside Karlsson. Chabot has actually looked pretty good too apart from the usual mistakes you see from a rookie d-man in his own zone.

Reactions: God Says No

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Oduya is 4th in avg toi per game amoung D on the Sens ... He is 27 seconds/game more than Claesson. He is not a minute eater. He has been disappointing imo.. His play is a reason people complain about not playing Chabot more.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Yeah, I don't mind Chabot getting 10-15 mins per game at this point. Give the kid easier matchups, give him lots of teaching time (as in, coaches actually talking to him and showing him things) on the bench, etc. Build him up.

Only thing that worries me is benching him after a mistake. Have to be careful with that at this stage. He is going to make errors, but you can't have him fearful of being nailed to the pine every time he makes an oopsie.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
not sure if anybody mentioned this but those 100 Classic Jerseys looked amazing on ice

and if we can grind out a few more wins were right back in it - hopefully making us buyers at the deadline

Simmonds is the guy I want out of the names on the market

GuyBoucherEvilGenius

Nov 23, 2017
So many trade proposals on the main board involving Ottawa players after our losing streak plus Melnyk/Karlsson/Dorion/Boucher drama.

Always willing to discuss trade offers - one of the most fun parts of talking hockey on these forums - even when it involves fan favorites like Karlsson or Stone, but frustrating to see how criminally under valued some of our better players are (IMO).

I'll be the first one to admit our roster is talent deficient. I think Dorion has done a pretty poor job as I've stated on other posts. Plenty of overpaid and/or under achieving players. Bad contracts like Dion and Bobby. Disappointing performers like Brassard, Anderson, Condon, and Ceci. Etc.

But we aren't just going to give away our top guys! Too many offers trying to buy guys like Karlsson, Stone, and Hoffman for cents on the dollar.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
not sure if anybody mentioned this but those 100 Classic Jerseys looked amazing on ice

and if we can grind out a few more wins were right back in it - hopefully making us buyers at the deadline

Simmonds is the guy I want out of the names on the market
I'd be happy if they ditched the old cartoon jerseys and went with the 100 Classic shirts from now on.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So many trade proposals on the main board involving Ottawa players after our losing streak plus Melnyk/Karlsson/Dorion/Boucher drama.

Always willing to discuss trade offers - one of the most fun parts of talking hockey on these forums - even when it involves fan favorites like Karlsson or Stone, but frustrating to see how criminally under valued some of our better players are (IMO).

I'll be the first one to admit our roster is talent deficient. I think Dorion has done a pretty poor job as I've stated on other posts. Plenty of overpaid and/or under achieving players. Bad contracts like Dion and Bobby. Disappointing performers like Brassard, Anderson, Condon, and Ceci. Etc.

But we aren't just going to give away our top guys! Too many offers trying to buy guys like Karlsson, Stone, and Hoffman for cents on the dollar.

Seriously. Many of the Karlsson offers in the trade boards have less value than what Colorado got for Duchene. It's insane.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I guess my point was Chabot is getting bot pairing ice time, not because he isn't good enough, and not because the coach doesn't like him, but rather he's on-the-job-training. He'll be rolling solo on the fry station soon enough.

As for benching, they don't have to be negative, and I'm sure the coaching staff handle it with kid gloves and instruct him to watch EK to see how 'X' is supposed to be done. Give the kid a bit to get his mojo back, and then send him out. None of it looks punitive to me, but rather protective. If the kid makes a few glaring mistakes in a row, have him sit for a bit, listen to Craw, and have him watch the pros compete.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with having the kids come along slowly, earning every extra minute of ice time regardless of what other players are doing. It's about Chabot's development after all.

GuyBoucherEvilGenius

Nov 23, 2017
Seriously. Many of the Karlsson offers in the trade boards have less value than what Colorado got for Duchene. It's insane.

Exactly. Some of the offers for Stone, Pageau, and Hoffman are well below what I feel those players are worth. They are being treated like deadline rental pieces or castoffs in some offers.

Stone has been one of the best two way RW in the game and has captain-like qualities. Hoffman has blazing speed and a shot that makes him a consistent 30 goal threat. Pageau is one of the best third line centers and penalty killers in the game IMO.

And same goes for Karlsson despite his subpar play this season. I've only seen a handful of deals that seem fair. Dougie Hamilton, Sam Bennett, Gillies/prospect from Calgary.
Brodin, Dumba, Eriksson Ek/Kunin/Kaprizov from Minnesota. These packages give us immediate young controllable NHL talent back in the top 4 on D or top 6 forwards while also giving us a prospect/goalie long term.

Most offers seem too low to me. 1.5 years and two playoff runs with a player of Karlsson's caliber is still a pretty long time and a huge addition (especially for PP purposes). Yet the offers seem to mirror rental trade deadline deals. I don't know if it's other teams thinking they can take advantage of Dorion after some of his recent poor trades? Or trying to prosper from a "distressed sale" given the chaotic circumstances surrounding the franchise/management/owner/coach/star player? Or just trying to buy extremely low on certain guys given the slump we were in?

Either way, here's to hoping any potential real life trades bring in better than expected returns.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
What would you like for Brassard/Pageau from Pens? Consider cap, too.

Brassard + for Letang is what I would "want" - not sure if it makes any sense for the Pens and I know a lot of Sens fans have said we should stay away from Letang. But me personally that's what I would look at

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Brassard + for Letang is what I would "want" - not sure if it makes any sense for the Pens and I know a lot of Sens fans have said we should stay away from Letang. But me personally that's what I would look at
Letang isn’t getting traded, atleast hopefully not. I’d offer Sprong+1st for Brassard. Add in Hagelin for cap though.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Letang seems like overkill and isn't worth it especially if Chabot turns out to be close to what we hype him up to be

We don't need to be helping out the penguins like that

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I don't see the Senators trading Brassard unless someone blows their socks off with a great offer. He only makes 3.5M to be our 2nd line C this year and next season. If it's just a basic Brassard for a pick/prospect/player type deal that Brassard is currently attracting, the Senators could always wait until the 2019 trade deadline to get that type of return while benefiting from keeping him as a cheap 2C until then.

Short of Brassard taking a big hometown discount, I don't think the Senators intend to extend him after this contract. I think they intend to extend Duchene and then hope that one of Brown, White, or Chlapik will be far along enough to play 2C starting in 2019-2020. If there's an opportunity to sell high and get a good (cheap) younger player, I think they'd take it. But I don't think they'll trade Brassard just for the sake of trading him, since that opportunity will still be there much later on. No need to rush it.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Letang isn’t getting traded, atleast hopefully not. I’d offer Sprong+1st for Brassard. Add in Hagelin for cap though.

makes sense,

but If we are out of a playoff spot by the deadline I would do the deal you proposed

Last edited:

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

Good for a laugh but also a learning opportunity....don't be that poster in the future as you can see how comical it can be, people are less likely to take you seriously.

the best ones imo are the posters saying they would turn down our best players for pennies on the dollar because they may make too much on their next contracts!

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

What teams would be interested?

Every team. But Karlsson has a 10-team no-trade list, and it’s likely that the teams he'd approve trades to are big-market contenders, such as the Toronto Maple Leafs, New York Rangers, etc. He’s not going to Arizona or Buffalo.

What would teams have to give up?

The Senators will probably ask for a package that includes a young defenseman, a young center, a first-round pick, a second-round pick and another prospect.

For example, if the Maple Leafs decided Karlsson could put them over the top, the Senators would likely ask for prospect defenseman Timothy Liljegren and center William Nylander, plus draft picks and another prospect.

The Rangers' package would start with defenseman Brady Skjei and prospect center Lias Andersson.

The Rangers would be a likely suspect to pursue Karlsson because they are in win-now mode with goalie Henrik Lundqvist turning 36 in March.

With Rick Nash’s $7.8 million contract coming off the books this offseason, the Rangers would be able to accommodate the signing of Karlsson moving forward.

If the Dallas Stars were in the hunt for Karlsson, the Senators would want prospect defenseman Miro Heiskanen and maybe center Radek Faksa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad