Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread: Slow Days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
He's basically stopped playing his offensive game to focus on defense, but is still just brutal defensively.

Pretty much, I would expect him to bounce back next year. He won the ROY, then got a huge deal, I think the preassure has been too much for him. I think he will settle down and be a stud D man in the future. Every one complaining about him on the Sabers board reminds me of every one here complaining of Gagner.

more than anything he just looked to good to early so people had unrealistic expectations. I would gladly take Myers.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Pretty much, I would expect him to bounce back next year. He won the ROY, then got a huge deal, I think the preassure has been too much for him. I think he will settle down and be a stud D man in the future. Every one complaining about him on the Sabres board reminds me of every one here complaining of Gagner.

more than anything he just looked to good to early so people had unrealistic expectations. I would gladly take Myers.

He's a huge gamble with that 6 year/$5.5M contract.

He would have to regain his rookie season offensive game and still improve defensively to be worth that price tag.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Pretty much, I would expect him to bounce back next year. He won the ROY, then got a huge deal, I think the preassure has been too much for him. I think he will settle down and be a stud D man in the future. Every one complaining about him on the Sabres board reminds me of every one here complaining of Gagner.

Simply put he is one of the reasons I didn't want Hall at center to early. Leave these kids in a position that allows them to succeed. Yes you want to challenge them, but you don't want it to get to the point where it did with Myers.

Problem is once you give someone that contract you expect more out of them.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

He would have to regain his rookie season offensive game and still improve defensively to be worth that price tag.

Ya, I think that 5.5 cap hit will look small in a few years though. He is just 23, very young for a D man. I think he will turn into a average defensive D man, and start to put up 40+ points again.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

To be honest, can they even trade him? This isn't Horcoff who doesn't have many years left. This is a 23 year old who has had success and might still be trying to get back into the swing of things after breaking his leg. The value on him is just too low to give up on him.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
To be honest, can they even trade him? This isn't Horcoff who doesn't have many years left. This is a 23 year old who has had success and might still be trying to get back into the swing of things after breaking his leg. The value on him is just too low to give up on him.

It's hard to believe no teams would be interested, but everything changes in a salary cap world. I think the best the Sabres can do for now is try and help Myers become a better player.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
After Myers' success as an offensive defenceman who would skate beautifully up the ice to create or support a play, Regier and Ruff agreed that it would be a good idea to take away everything good about his game and focus on becoming a defensive defenceman because he was tall and had a long reach.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
This is professional sports. Taking a year off is rarely ever a good thing, especially when it's on your own accord.

I can't think of an example, as I've never heard of it before, but I am going to have to think it's x100 for a goalie. It can't be good. I look forward to seeing some team pick him up just to see how he plays, it might be a total disaster. Don't want it to be Edmonton.

Forget Dubnyk as a starter, I question whether he'd be better than Labarbera as a backup right now.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
I can't think of an example, as I've never heard of it before, but I am going to have to think it's x100 for a goalie. It can't be good. I look forward to seeing some team pick him up just to see how he plays, it might be a total disaster. Don't want it to be Edmonton.

Forget Dubnyk as a starter, I question whether he'd be better than Labarbera as a backup right now.

That is just crAzy talk Dub had good numbers last year with a terrible what would his numbers be on a better team

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Yakupov wanted the Oilers to get him "verified" on Twitter.

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 29m
Just getting Nail verified on Twitter! RT @Nail10_1993 @EdmontonOilers can u UNSWER on my message , in Private Messaging?please ! Thanks

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Not sure if anyone saw this...or cares...but Cheechoo is headed to the KHL. Good luck to him, he was a solid pro in OKC last year. I would like to think he had a positive affect on the kids down there.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
After Myers' success as an offensive defenceman who would skate beautifully up the ice to create or support a play, Regier and Ruff agreed that it would be a good idea to take away everything good about his game and focus on becoming a defensive defenceman because he was tall and had a long reach.

Sabres fan Here, Ruff was trying to turn him into a mean Chara type instead of what he is a, big body smooth skating offensive D al la Jovanovski or Bouwmeester. In the process Ruff got into his head, bad... He was already bouncing back after about 10 games with Rolston.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's hard to believe no teams would be interested, but everything changes in a salary cap world. I think the best the Sabres can do for now is try and help Myers become a better player.

You hit the nail on the head.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
2011-2012
Oilers GF/60 with Petry on the PP: 6.51

2012-2013
Oilers GF/60 with J.Schultz on the PP: 6.75

Gap isn't as big as you make it out to be. Petry was forced to take a shutdown role at ES/PK because the Oil were filled with incompetent one-dimensional players for the rest of their blue line. Schultz, Whitney, and Potter were granted heavy PP minutes because they sure as hell weren't safe to have on for PK.

As for Schultz - there's major statistical overinflation given that he was always paired with the "#1" unit with Hall/RNH/Ebs/Horcoff/Hemsky in some combination.

Petry last year was splitting time on both units with Gilbert and Whitney.

Gilbert ? I did not know we got another one , after trading the first Gilbert away 2 years ago

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Weird how he hasn't been verified this whole time. Guys like Fistric etc. were verified in days of making their accounts.

That's because no one pretends to be Fistric.

Yak on the other hand with the whole Russian angle, might take a bit longer.

The Perfect Human*

Gilbert ? I did not know we got another one , after trading the first Gilbert away 2 years ago

I was talking about 2011-2012 in that post. This past season (2012-2013) he was barely playing much PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna