Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread: Slow Days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
I couldn't care less, TBH. It's Sports, it's not a damn political landscape.

I watch sports to get away from that crap.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Not a rumour or trade idea, but I think signing Chad LaRose as a 3rd/4th line guy might be a good idea. He's a tenacious checker with a ton of energy. He's also good for about 15+ goals a year playing on bottom lines. He's certainly a better option on the 4th line RW than Brown, IMO. Just a thought.

If they can get a hold of him, that is. I hear it's not an easy thing, lately. Probably just junk rumours; who knows.

Edit: Because of his poor season last year (an aberration if you look at his career) he'd also very likely sign on the cheap, if he's willing to come here. Probably a 3 year, 1.2m AAV deal would get it done. Then either buyout Brown or confine him to the AHL.

Last edited:

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
The biggest reason we should stay away from Thomas is because he's 38 or 39 and he took a full year off.

Major injury ticking time bomb waiting to happen. Hopefully this club has learned about veteran goalies and their penchant for being injured easily/a lot (read: Khabibulin). But who knows.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
have literally no idea why anyone would want Timmy T on this squad. Old, rusty, got a lot of miles on him, potential to get busted up early... not to mention his character issues, regardless of what anyone thinks there are some lingering issues there that could be a concern.

Not a rumour or trade idea, but I think signing Chad LaRose as a 3rd/4th line guy might be a good idea. He's a tenacious checker with a ton of energy. He's also go for about 15+ goals a year playing on bottom lines. He's certainly a better option on the 4th line RW than Brown, IMO. Just a thought.

If they can get a hold of him, that is. I hear it's not an easy thing, lately. Probably just junk rumours; who knows.

would love to have LaRose on this team.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Not a rumour or trade idea, but I think signing Chad LaRose as a 3rd/4th line guy might be a good idea. He's a tenacious checker with a ton of energy. He's also good for about 15+ goals a year playing on bottom lines. He's certainly a better option on the 4th line RW than Brown, IMO. Just a thought.

Edit: Because of his poor season last year (an aberration if you look at his career) he'd also very likely sign on the cheap, if he's willing to come here. Probably a 3 year, 1.2m AAV deal would get it done. Then either buyout Brown or confine him to the AHL.

Good call on Larose, he'd be an excellent bottom 6 pickup.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
LaRose and Latendresse are two guys I'd like to add. LaRose would be perfect to add something to the bottom six, while Latendresse adds some scoring depth. We could sign both guys if Hemsky was moved for a pick or two.

Hall-Gagner-Yak
Perron-RNH-Eberle
Latendresse-Gordon-Larose
Jones-Lander-Smyth
Brown

:dunno:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
The only problem with Latendresse is you have to have a capable replacement ready at all times. I'd rather go after Raymond than Latendresse (and I used to be all for Latendresse)

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
Which is exactly why we should have nothing to do with Thomas. We don't need him focusing on his nutjob beliefs when we're trying to win

We should also ban Fanta drinkers in the locker room while we're at it seeing how much alike their relevancy to winning is.

People are entitled to their opinions. This whole thing is ridiculous.

Like Groucho said we should say "no" to Thomas because he's an old man.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
We should also ban Fanta drinkers in the locker room while we're at it seeing how much alike their relevancy to winning is.

People are entitled to their opinions. This whole thing is ridiculous.

Like Groucho said we should say "no" to Thomas because he's an old man.

People that put the team first are entitled to their opinion. Thomas put his ridiculous beliefs above the good of the team. If he wants to believe in those crazy theories, go right ahead. It's turning everything into a sideshow that caused the issues. I wouldn't even care if he wanted to go on about fluoridation of our water supply impurifying our precious bodily fluids. Just don't make it more important than the success of the team

Last edited:

MinnesotaFats

Aug 10, 2005
I don't get the Latendresse love here. I watched the guy in Ottawa this year and he's nothing more than a big plug that scored a few goals a bunch of years ago. Seriously guys, he's nothing but a plug now. Ottawa doesn't let useful players just walk (Chara, aside); the fact they didn't try to keep him tells you all you need to know.

Mentallydull

Jul 3, 2008
Oil Country
People that put the team first are entitled to their opinion. Thomas put his ridiculous beliefs above the good of the team. If he wants to believe in those crazy theories, go right ahead. It's turning everything into a sideshow that caused the issues. I wouldn't even care if he wanted to go on about fluoridation of our water supply impurifying our precious bodily fluids. Just don't make it more important than the success of the team

What? If Thomas lost the Cup for them because he didn't want to meet the president that's one thing.

Thomas carried them to the Cup - meeting the president or not is irrelevant, the guy's a winner and proved that he'll do whatever he can to get his team to the top.

That said, he is too old for the team.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
obviously any player should be able to keep their own political views, and lord knows there's a long history of crazy/eccentric goalies, but I expect Thomas was simply becoming a distraction for the team.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Honestly when did the political thing become an issue for Thomas? Wasn't it around the white house invite?

Before that was he ever an issue?

Why would he be an issue politically in Edmonton? Is he really going to preach his political views here if he came?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Honestly when did the political thing become an issue for Thomas? Wasn't it around the white house invite?

Before that was he ever an issue?

Why would he be an issue politically in Edmonton? Is he really going to preach his political views here if he came?

Because some posters here are thinking for the betterment of "our kids" [which is a rather sick way of putting :shakehead] and believe Thomas' presence is a detriment to the team.

Honestly, even if he was bat**** crazy-if he wins games, which he does, I could care less.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I agree with that. But his actions would have rightly had him crucified on this board, if he was an Oiler.

Who isn't crucified on this board? If one of the freaking teams in Edmonton started to win then maybe people wouldn't be so bitter towards the organizations in this City.

The lack of competitive teams in both the NHL and CFL has really soured people in general.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Something tells me the team had zero issue with what he did.

So your Vezina winning, Stanley Cup carrying goalie allows himself to get tangled up in a highly political fall-out with his team over his views... and then sits out a year to sulk about it....

And you would have zero issues with it?!?

I'm a goalie who is no where near that eccentric/spoiled, but I've had my teammates be upset with a lot less.

Word on the street here in Boston was that it absolutely became a side show... and that this year was "healing" for the team because they all played their guts out for Tuuka (who was considered more of a team player).

Anyway, all of this is speculative... but I've never played on any team that would tolerate that much "individualism" if it became a detriment to the team (and it clearly did, since he quit).

I agree with the others... he's also old. And that's a concern.

All of that said, I'd still have him in for an interview to see if he's mellowed enough to focus on his job again (stopping pucks).

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So your Vezina winning, Stanley Cup carrying goalie allows himself to get tangled up in a highly political fall-out with his team over his views... and then sits out a year to sulk about it....

And you would have zero issues with it?!?

I'm a goalie who is no where near that eccentric/spoiled, but I've had my teammates be upset with a lot less.

Word on the street here in Boston was that it absolutely became a side show... and that this year was "healing" for the team because they all played their guts out for Tuuka (who was considered more of a team player).

Anyway, all of this is speculative... but I've never played on any team that would tolerate that much "individualism" if it became a detriment to the team (and it clearly did, since he quit).

I agree with the others... he's also old. And that's a concern.

All of that said, I'd still have him in for an interview to see if he's mellowed enough to focus on his job again (stopping pucks).
They have Rask. If Thomas was still around they would've had that side show to deal with, plus they wouldn't have 5mil to go out and add at TDD.

Him being old isn't a concern to me either. He'd be coming in on a one year deal, if he's no good it only costs us money. And how much is it really going to cost? Goalies don't exactly hit it big on August 6th.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
As with most things, I expect we're not getting the full story on Thomas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad