Proposal: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread: Are we looking at adding a winger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Arizona got way better this off season.

OEL-Hjalm
Goligoski-Demers
Chych-Schenn

Their top 4 looks better than the Oilers right now. Its a good thing there forwards are all young or rookies and their goalie is a career backup up to this point or they'd be a threat for a playoff spot.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

OEL-Hjalm
Goligoski-Demers
Chych-Schenn

Their top 4 looks better than the Oilers right now. Its a good thing there forwards are all young or rookies and their goalie is a career backup up to this point or they'd be a threat for a playoff spot.

They have the worst set of forwards in the league imo. Their best forward is a RNH level forward.

Last edited:

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
They have the worst set of forwards in the league imo. There best forward is a RNH level forward.

Yeah completely depends on how Keller and Strome develop but they could be a threat sooner than people think if those players excell over the next 2 years. However, I don't see top center in Strome and think he winds up following the same path as his brother.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Stepan, Domi, Duclair, Keller, Strome, Perlini with a top 4 D and Raanta could turn some heads this season

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
They're my sleeper team this year for sure. I have a weird feeling they will do better than Calgary.

I'd give Calgary's defense the edge but I would take Arizona's fowards and goaltending over Calgary's. The Coyotes could definitely be higher up in the standings as anticipated, in fact I think they could challenge for a playoff spot. For Calgary it pretty much comes down to their goaltending. If their goaltending is solid they should have no problems making it

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Arizona has improved but they got 70 points last year. Calgary got 94 and also got better...

Arizona may well be a dark horse because of their youth but that D-core is being exaggerated how good it is.

Adding what they did improves them marginally but expecting a 25+ point jump because they added Stepan, Raanta, Hammer, and lol Demers seems a bit excessive.

EDIT:

OEL-Hjalm
Goligoski-Demers
Chych-Schenn

Versus

Klefbom Larsson
Russell Benning
Nurse Gyrba

-I'd say the top pairing is a wash. Both teams have a good one. I think OEL is overrated and while still currently better than Klefbom I would say Larsson is better than Hammer to even things up.
-Mid pairing on both teams are not good. Goligoski is better than Russell but I believe Benning is at least slightly better than Demers.
-Chych has potential but got to give the edge on this pairing to the Oil just because of Nurse. While it's debatable if Nurse can play in the top 4 yet as a bottom pairing guy I give Nurse the edge and then some.

Sekera comes back and we have the MUCH better D core. And our D core is basically considered average with Sekera in it.

Last edited:

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Yeah, not enthused that Chia continues to stand pat as other teams at least try to fill holes. We all know this club needs an RHD, but like last year with the backup goalie situation, Peter's decided against all common sense that the bargain bin approach is best. We'll see, but I'm not at all optimistic.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Hmmm...I suppose this means Gudbranson's stock has plummeted to an all-time low. Funny. I always kinda liked the guy and thought that was an alright trade for the Canucks, but he seems to be following the same trajectory as Luke Schenn. I'd still take a flyer on the guy if the cost was low though.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Yeah, not enthused that Chia continues to stand pat as other teams at least try to fill holes. We all know this club needs an RHD, but like last year with the backup goalie situation, Peter's decided against all common sense that the bargain bin approach is best. We'll see, but I'm not at all optimistic.

Last year at this time Chia brought in Russell and almost landed Versteeg too.

Based on what we are seeing out of camp, there is some solid depth internally. Patience is fine

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'd give Calgary's defense the edge but I would take Arizona's fowards and goaltending over Calgary's. The Coyotes could definitely be higher up in the standings as anticipated, in fact I think they could challenge for a playoff spot. For Calgary it pretty much comes down to their goaltending. If their goaltending is solid they should have no problems making it

Calgary defence is so overrated. Giordano had a career year, got paid and will decline. Hamilton, Bodie and Stone are good pick movers but weak at defence. The wild card is Harmonic and how good he can handle the large forwards in the West on a nightly basis. Then the last line of defence is Smith, who might be one of the worst starting goalies in the league.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

We were a 100 point team with our best players being 24 and younger. They will get better as they get older as long as we surround them with the right depth players.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
While having Crosby and Malkin ahead of him. Prior to the McDavid lottery and last season there was no reason to have drafted a shutdown 3C 1st overall.

The only reason this is even a debate is because Nuge tailed off after a great start to his career and we now have 2 centers that are much better than RNH or Couturier so now we could use a shutdown 3C more than an offensive 2C.

Couturier is NOT a 3C so you can stop saying it. 40 points while providing Elite defensive coverage is a 2nd line center. He had the same amount of ES points as RNH last year in 19 less games. Not bad for a guy who has no offence. His PP production was down, but I dont follow Philly enough to know the reason why that would be. The year before he had 7 points getting similar minutes in less games.

As for taking him 1st overall. He was absolutely the best guy to take and have him babysit Hall and Eberle. He would have been the perfect center to allow those two to run and gun a bit while Couturier took care of his own end.

BertaBorn

Sep 5, 2017
chia showing once again how hes a top tier gm by signing russell last summer instead of demers. with the mcdavid and draisaitl contracts wed be screwed if we had signed demers. would have been another fayne situation.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Really wish we signed someone like Pitlick. Slepyshev being out shows how limited we are on that RW side (for a contender - the fact we have some semblance of depth is a mark that we're at least a decent squad, but we should aim to better than just decent. Just decent was the expectation for last year).

The one player we can count on being a top 6 RW (an extremely good one) is our 8.5 M 2C. Strome, Caggiula, Puljujarvi, Kassian, and, even when healthy, Slaphappy, have some serious question marks about ability.

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl | Maroon-McDavid-Strome | Maroon-McDavid-Jagr
Lucic-RNH-Strome | Lucic-Draisaitl-Caggiula | Lucic-Draisaitl-Strome
Caggiula-JJ-Puljujarvi | JJ - RNH -Puljujarvi | JJ - RNH - Puljujarvi
Khaira-Letestu-Kassian | Khaira-Letestu-Kassian | Caggiula-Letestu-Kassian

Replacing Puljujarvi with Slepyshev when he's fully healed, Pakarinen or Khaira (where unlisted) as extra skater.

Each of those lineups has their advantages and disadvantages - I think #1, not #2, is the most likely event come October. #3 is a pipe dream - adding Jagr would likely knock Puljujarvi out of the lineup for the year but preps the lineup really well against injuries that we seriously avoided up front all of last year. Also, he's Jaromir Jagr.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Still would have liked Demers over Russell.

I like Russ, but at 4 million I prefer Demers any day of the week.

Oh well it is what it is. I still hope Chia fills a hole on D but not looking likely.
Not cool with having Gryba play the first 1/3 of the season as a regular. And when an injury occurs Aitvu/Stanton who arent NHL players.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

OEL-Hjalm
Goligoski-Demers
Chych-Schenn

Chaynka is an amazing GM

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

OEL-Hjalm
Goligoski-Demers
Chych-Schenn

meh, it all hinges on OEL for them. If compare the defense minus Klefbom and OEL, ours is better.

But, I agree with you. I'm a believer in concentration of talent. It's a big deal that they have OEL because on the key plays of the game you can only have two Dmen out there. OEL is a game breaker, and with a good team around him he will climb up the rankings in a hurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad