Proposal: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread: Are we looking at adding a winger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Excluding Yak, RNH has gotta be the worst 1st oa since Stefan. What did scouts see to make this guy a # 1 oa pick?

Go take a look at his draft year and tell me who would have been a better choice that any reasonable scout would have made?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2011e.html

N0 team was picking Scheifele over Nuge. The year before his draft year he was playing for the Dutchmen here in Kitchener in the GOJHL. And while he had a very good year in Barrie he was not going first over all.

Not Robin Brownlee

The docile tones!
Nov 17, 2008
Excluding Yak, RNH has gotta be the worst 1st oa since Stefan. What did scouts see to make this guy a # 1 oa pick?

ppg, he's right here with everyone else in the top 10. who should they have taken? Schiefle ? 6 other teams didn't either.. He is not a bad player, at all.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Thanks for letting us know your opinion on this matter.

He has been a disappointment but he was the BPA at the time. Sometimes you hit, sometimes you miss. It happens

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't disagree, but that's a little easier said then done, because he has to balance the future with the present, the reality that the team's best players are under 25 helps me not worry about that as much, honestly.

I'm perfectly fine with Chia not signing guys to big long-term deals but come on, throw Jagr a contract and bring in a defenseman or two on a PTO. After this year it gets harder to win the Cup.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm worried we're in the "plateau" stage, or in otherwords the "Washington Capitals" stage.

Why not go all in this year?

You do realize that the Oilers have one of the youngest cores in the league, right? Why would they all of a sudden plateau?
The Oilers will be in the Capitals stage when they fail to advance past the 2nd round for another 10 years.

How do you know they won't go all in this year? The trade deadline hasn't passed yet.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'm perfectly fine with Chia not signing guys to big long-term deals but come on, throw Jagr a contract and bring in a defenseman or two on a PTO. After this year it gets harder to win the Cup.

Yeah, I'm very surprised he hasn't done either of those things (though there aren't really defensemen worth a PTO honestly). I would really like them to sign Jagr, he must believe in the guys on the roster quite a bit.

Either that, or they are expecting some things to "shake out" during various training camps.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Moreso than any of the other players we've taken since 2010 (yes, including Yakupov), the Oilers have done RNH no favors.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yeah, I'm very surprised he hasn't done either of those things (though there aren't really defensemen worth a PTO honestly). I would really like them to sign Jagr, he must believe in the guys on the roster quite a bit.

Either that, or they are expecting some things to "shake out" during various training camps.

It's possible, he could still swing a deal and whatnot but most signs seem to indicate he's okay with standing pat.

You do realize that the Oilers have one of the youngest cores in the league, right? Why would they all of a sudden plateau?
The Oilers will be in the Capitals stage when they fail to advance past the 2nd round for another 10 years.

How do you know they won't go all in this year? The trade deadline hasn't passed yet.

Yes, their core is very young. So was Pittsburgh's after it's first Cup and it took them 7 years just to get back there. And we are not Pittsburgh.

Going all in means making sure your team is ready from the get-go to compete. The Oilers are one defensive injury away from potential disaster. Their wingers are not impressive and their backup is very untested.

Chiarelli is taking a lot of risks in the best year to go for the Cup.

Not Robin Brownlee

The docile tones!
Nov 17, 2008
Clearly the best options is Kucherov or Gaudreau, I mean when you look back at the draft, it's so obvious.

Thats the thing, everyone assumes when other teams get a guy late that their scouts are amazing to steal him at 124 in the draft, its luck, thats all.. if they were seen as being that good they would have gone round one, top ten. Why would you wait that long for a 'gem' and risk someone else grabbing him ?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I'm worried we're in the "plateau" stage, or in otherwords the "Washington Capitals" stage.

Why not go all in this year?

Team has a bunch of young players in Klefbom/Larsson/Benning/Nurse/Draisaitl who could all go through significant development. Hell McDavid himself is just 20 lol. Then add in Puljujarvi could be a game changer and the team has a bunch of upside left to show

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Team has a bunch of young players in Klefbom/Larsson/Benning/Nurse/Draisaitl who could all go through significant development. Hell McDavid himself is just 20 lol. Then add in Puljujarvi could be a game changer and the team has a bunch of upside left to show

Klefbom and Larsson are fine but everyone else on defense is a pretty big question mark, especially with Sekera out until possibly December or longer.

And JP is also a big question mark.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Going all in means making sure your team is ready from the get-go to compete. The Oilers are one defensive injury away from potential disaster. Their wingers are not impressive and their backup is very untested.

Chiarelli is taking a lot of risks in the best year to go for the Cup.

I would have liked to see him add a Dman for the bottom pairing going into the season but it's not going to make or break the season. Barring a ridiculous rash of injuries, the Oilers will be in playoff position at the deadline so that's when Chia will likely go "all in". How many other contenders went all in this offseason? Can't think of one. The teams that usually make big offseason upgrades are the teams that need to catch up to the contenders and have more cap space like the Oilers did the last few offseasons.

Also, why is this the best year to go for the Cup? With the core they have in place, the Oilers will always be in contention regardless of who the supporting cast is and these guys aren't even in their prime yet.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Making the playoffs after a decade of darkness isn't grounds for a
" Good run". Especially after they were thoroughly outcoached, outhustled in the Ducks series.

You mean out-penalized and out-reffed, because Edmonton had them up until their 4-3 loss in OT. That is when Anaheim basically took over and the refs helped them. We can beat them.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Thats the thing, everyone assumes when other teams get a guy late that their scouts are amazing to steal him at 124 in the draft, its luck, thats all.. if they were seen as being that good they would have gone round one, top ten. Why would you wait that long for a 'gem' and risk someone else grabbing him ?

Total luck is right, look at Paigan, I don't know what he'll do, but if even plays 5 NHL games, that's huge win for a 7th round pick. (I would like more if anyone is wondering)

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Thanks for letting us know your opinion on this matter.

He has been a disappointment but he was the BPA at the time. Sometimes you hit, sometimes you miss. It happens

So he isn't the worst 1st OA excluding Yak?

Dipietro had a few productive seasons leading his team to the playoffs.

Ekblad is better. Kovalchuck, MAF, OVI, Sid, Kane are obvious. Hall is better. McDavid? Obvious. Matthews? Obvious. Taveras? Obvious. Stammer? Obvious. Hall? Better. MacK? better. Erik Johnson has been more consistent.

Nobody could've foreseen Scheifele becoming the player he is today? That's why there are scouts.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
So he isn't the worst 1st OA excluding Yak?

Dipietro had a few productive seasons leading his team to the playoffs.

Ekblad is better. Kovalchuck, MAF, OVI, Sid, Kane are obvious. Hall is better. McDavid? Obvious. Matthews? Obvious. Taveras? Obvious. Stammer? Obvious. Hall? Better. MacK? better. Erik Johnson has been more consistent.

Nobody could've foreseen Scheifele becoming the player he is today? That's why there are scouts.

You're not wrong. It was just an odd time to post that opinion when it had no relevance to what was being discussed in the thread.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I'll be honest, if there is one trait I love about Chiarelli is he doesn't give a flying **** what you guys think. He's out there to make a competitive team and he is doing that. I love that in him. Plus he keeps his cards close to his chest. That is another reason I like him. He doesn't reveal anything to the media what he is doing and that's a good thing. As much as people want to **** on him for signing McDavid, Draisaitl deals, he did all those in the best interests for the team. He did what he had to do and it's paying off. Plus people need to stop thinking in the past and present and see the future. McDavid is only 20 years old and Draisaitl at 21. They haven't even PEAKED yet and people are saying "They are overpaid, whaaa". I'd agree with that if both were signed at 30 years. But they aren't. Those 2 contracts will look like steals in the next 2-3 years. Then you add in Larsson, Klefbom, Puljujarvi, Nurse, Benning, and Caggiula and we got a team that will grow for the next 5+ years and keep us competitive throughout.

But like Jimmi said, we might as well close the window since it's not 'good enough'. :shakehead

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Klefbom and Larsson are fine but everyone else on defense is a pretty big question mark, especially with Sekera out until possibly December or longer.

And JP is also a big question mark.

Quite pessimistic eh. You comment was on the team platueing, not on the teams question marks. Yeah JP is a question mark, but he could legitimately score 25 goals this year and follow what Draisaitl did (after everyone was writing him off). So theres potential progress there. Benning is not really a question mark, we know hes an NHL bottom pairing D at minimum, upside could be a #3 D, ditto for Nurse. This is excluding Yamamoto, Jones, even more development from Draisaitl

I dont really see any plateau yet

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
It's ridiculous to say the team has plateaued ala Washington Capitals.

Look at the ages of two cores. It's not comparable.

I get it, doom and gloom one injury away yada yada yada. Same thing every time.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It's ridiculous to say the team has plateaued ala Washington Capitals.

Look at the ages of two cores. It's not comparable.

I get it, doom and gloom one injury away yada yada yada. Same thing every time.

I don't think xKeith is suggesting they have plateaued, he's worried about them hitting one because the other teams get better around them and they get "some bad breaks" and such in the playoffs.

Compared to the ALOT of the doom and gloom, I understand what he's saying, but I will still believe McDavid is good enough to take this team over any plateau.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
RNH was absolutely the only player we were picking 1st that year. If you recall, Tallon told RNH that if the Oilers didn't pick him he can just start walking up to the stage, because there's no way Florida wouldn't.

He was the consensus number one with no real challenger.

I did like Scheifele that year, but he was ranked around 15ish on most lists with a few "boom or bust" predictions noting that he could be one of the best players from the draft or fizzle out. I was hoping he may drop to our second pick in the first, although we certainly need Klefbom more now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad