Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals - 13/14 - XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Ottawa will always be involved with grade B prospects: receiving grade B+/A- that turn into B, and trading away C+/B- that become A. All these deals talking about Ristolainen, or Huberdeau, Upshall, Boyes, and Gilbert (who I think is an A defenseman) are really pointless. Sens always pick up someone who is marginal but has a big appearance on the outside (Sutton, Cullen, Picard, Kuba, Kovalev, Campoli, Cheechoo, Svatos, Gilroy, Conacher). 9MM, Bishop, and Conacher are all good examples of steadily decreasing their production when coming to this team. Every GM in the league knows the type of team with which they're dealing and they have a big "FISH" label on Ottawa. They won't offer anything decent unless they get majour returns and Murray usually isn't willing to give that much. That being said there's usually nothing more than prospects or B talent for sale. Another factor is that I don't believe many players are willing to come here because they know the ownership is not committed to winning and hence they're not committed to paying.
you forgot Arnason though :bow:

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I liked Cullen too but either he didn't like Ottawa (long-term) or Melnyk didn't like him enough to pay him.

Cullen commented how he liked in in Ottawa and he and his family could see staying here. Minnesota offered him more money as a FA, if we offered him anything at all.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
Cullen commented how he liked in in Ottawa and he and his family could see staying here. Minnesota offered him more money as a FA, if we offered him anything at all.

He is also from Minnesota, and it was no secret that he wanted to play for his home team. Pierre McGuire was talking about this recently, and is probably going to be a similar situation with Moulson going back to Long Island to play with Tavares as a FA.

Sens should be careful about Moulson as a rental.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
He is also from Minnesota, and it was no secret that he wanted to play for his home team. Pierre McGuire was talking about this recently, and is probably going to be a similar situation with Moulson going back to Long Island to play with Tavares as a FA.

I cannot see Moulson returning to the Isles. Before the trade, Staple wrote the isles were leery about giving the slow skater $5m per. He is 30 and already a slowskater. They play an uptempo style.

Moulson gave the isles a team friendly deal on his last contract and in his post trade comments , he makes the pc comments, but also sounds sounds bitter. ...Isles would rather pay Vanek $7m+ then pay Moulson $5m

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com

Well, not really. First off the entire point of a rental is that you have them until the end of the season and then you let them go. Whether he goes back to his family, wants to play with his buddies, or likes the weather in Timbuktu really does not matter.

The idea that players go to play where they grew up, where their buddies are, etc is overblow. If it is similar cash I can see it, but UFAs will typically follow the money. Hockey players have a very small window to cash in and set themselves up for life. If one team offer 4 MM and another team offers 3.5 they will usually go where the money is, providing term is equal. If a UFA is leaving a particular city and team, that UFA is more likely to take a haircut on pay in exchange for term than to accept less cash.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
Really hope the Sens are sellers at the deadline this year. No point in selling the farm now Murray should have made a move to spark the team earlier this season.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I liked Cullen too but either he didn't like Ottawa (long-term) or Melnyk didn't like him enough to pay him.

It was supposed to be a joke not commenting on your pessimistic but accurate description of hockey in Ottawa and picking out the one tiny positive.

But yeah, Cullen was very good.

Tristqc

Mar 22, 2009
Gatineau
Sens need a "buyers" trade right now. It's the only "boost" i can think of in order ton stay into playoff hunt. If not, settle to be sellers.

If we're sellers:

- Consider trading Spezza (With the right return)
- Try to extend Ryan, if not, trade
- Cowen, if we can grab a fish
- Consider trading Anderson (With the right return)
- Phillips
- Michalek
- Any other minor upgrades

One other thing, we should consider keeping only 2 of these in our roster:

Neil, Greening, Smith, Condra.

My personal choice would be Smith and Neil. We definitely need more offensive talent (Which we have in our own barn).

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Sens need a "buyers" trade right now. It's the only "boost" i can think of in order ton stay into playoff hunt. If not, settle to be sellers.

If we're sellers:

- Phillips
- Michalek

My personal choice would be Smith and Neil. We definitely need more offensive talent (Which we have in our own barn).

Well the guy capable of pulling off your plan successfully is in buffalo now.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
we dont need to sell. We need to get a winger who can stay here for a bit. Spezza and Zibby play with absolute crap players offensively

Iconoclast

Lifestyle on camera
May 2, 2013
Toronto
TSN posted that the Bruins are looking at Phillips, amongst other players. Bartkowski is a name being mentioned.

I'd do it.

WhiteLight*

If we're sellers:

- Phillips
- Michalek

Agreed except for the Cowen part, and Neil is CLEARLY the worst of the last 4. Wouldn't make any sense to keep him. Smith is obvious. Condra >*Greening. Condra is much easier to play with and makes his teammates better despite worse hockey skills.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
If Phillips gets traded for something decent I will get excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad