Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals - 13/14 - XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Boyes would be very cheap, and although he can't do a damn thing by himself, can be useful with a talented playmaker.

Like Spezza.

Low-risk, ok reward.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Should have signed him.

I said the same thing in the offseason, but I actually understand the logic of Murray in hindsight. The problem wasn't signing Boyes, the problem was contracts and roster spaces. We simply had too many bodies to make it work.

We were just coming off of the playoffs and Pageau was looking for a roster spot, Hoffman, Stone, Conacher, DaCosta, JOB, Zibanejad, etc... were all on the bubble and adding temporary bodies at the expense of exposing a good young player to waivers is poor asset management. We had traded for Kassian the previous season and we also didn't want to give him up when the Bruins and Leafs were trying to go nuclear in the fighting department. Les Habs too It would have been pointless to lose Kassian and then trade for an equal deterrent later in the season for the same reasons we had acquired Kassian.

As it stood, adding Boyes would have made things worse in that regard. Everyone was projecting a top line of "Michalek Spezza Ryan" and we had about 200 good young options for Turris' rightwing. Adding veterans to a roster is usually good, except when they're blocking development and we had a lot of options for second line wingers. Young guys need icetime and Boyes would have made that difficult.

As it stands now, we are a lot more knowledgable about how our team is fitting together. The defence has finally come together and we have a decent top line, a good 3rd and 4th lines, and no one to play with Spezza. We didn't know what we had to start the season.

Gothenburg 40*

I'd rather Upshall. I could see him forming chemistry with at least one out of Turris, Spezza, Smith, Zibanejad & Grant if not all of them. It would depend on what they were asking for though.

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
What about Tom Gilbert to fill in the hole on the right side? He is cheap and seems to be playing pretty well this year? Would be an upgrade to Corvo & Gryba.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
To Ottawa Upshall Huberdeau and Boyes 2nd rounder

To Florida Weircioch Dacosta Spezza

...........maybe........:nod:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Well we need a RHD to play with Methot on a full time basis. Ideally Wiercioch would be able to take that spot but he doesn't seem comfortable on his off side, or with playing 18+ min a night.

gryba and ceci

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Well we need a RHD to play with Methot on a full time basis. Ideally Wiercioch would be able to take that spot but he doesn't seem comfortable on his off side, or with playing 18+ min a night.

Cowen-Karlsson
Methot-Ceci
Wiercioch-Gryba

is there a better possible d lineup than that? (with what is available i mean. it looks pretty good too)

if maclean would just go with that and stick with it, we'd be in a playoff spot and stay there. (prediction, no crystal ball)

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005

You trade Wiercioch for a player better than Gilbert, is what you do.

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
Cowen-Karlsson
Methot-Ceci
Wiercioch-Gryba

is there a better possible d lineup than that? (with what is available i mean. it looks pretty good too)

if maclean would just go with that and stick with it, we'd be in a playoff spot and stay there. (prediction, no crystal ball)

Love that lineup but unfortunately Phillips needs to be in there which messes it up.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Ottawa will always be involved with grade B prospects: receiving grade B+/A- that turn into B, and trading away C+/B- that become A. All these deals talking about Ristolainen, or Huberdeau, Upshall, Boyes, and Gilbert (who I think is an A defenseman) are really pointless. Sens always pick up someone who is marginal but has a big appearance on the outside (Sutton, Cullen, Picard, Kuba, Kovalev, Campoli, Cheechoo, Svatos, Gilroy, Conacher). 9MM, Bishop, and Conacher are all good examples of steadily decreasing their production when coming to this team. Every GM in the league knows the type of team with which they're dealing and they have a big "FISH" label on Ottawa. They won't offer anything decent unless they get majour returns and Murray usually isn't willing to give that much. That being said there's usually nothing more than prospects or B talent for sale. Another factor is that I don't believe many players are willing to come here because they know the ownership is not committed to winning and hence they're not committed to paying.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Ottawa will always be involved with grade B prospects: receiving grade B+/A- that turn into B, and trading away C+/B- that become A. All these deals talking about Ristolainen, or Huberdeau, Upshall, Boyes, and Gilbert (who I think is an A defenseman) are really pointless. Sens always pick up someone who is marginal but has a big appearance on the outside (Sutton, Cullen, Picard, Kuba, Kovalev, Campoli, Cheechoo, Svatos, Gilroy, Conacher). 9MM, Bishop, and Conacher are all good examples of steadily decreasing their production when coming to this team. Every GM in the league knows the type of team with which they're dealing and they have a big "FISH" label on Ottawa. They won't offer anything decent unless they get majour returns and Murray usually isn't willing to give that much. That being said there's usually nothing more than prospects or B talent for sale. Another factor is that I don't believe many players are willing to come here because they know the ownership is not committed to winning and hence they're not committed to paying.

i liked cullen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad