Trade, Rumors and FA Thread Pre Draft Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
@Daximus wrote in the previous thread: I'd wager if he (Laine) is moved it won't be until FA opens up and teams can talk to him about an extension.

How can they talk to him? He's not a free agent this year.

Reactions: bennylundholm

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
They can't talk to him but any team would have 2 years to extend him

Lots of rumors floating around out there on twitter

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Don't trade Laine, trade Connor.

Whatever happens, if anything does, it should be an interesting off season.

Reactions: rkp

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Garrioch *spits* has:

Flyers
Sabres
Wings
Rangers
Wild
Panthers
Canadiens
Blue Jackets

having interest in Laine. That seems to be a signicantly different list than what the likes of Elliott/Lebrun/McKenzie/Dreger have stated. Garrioch probably just throwing teams out there to round out a story.

I think Joe knew of certain teams' interest as well.

Last edited:

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Garrioch *spits* has:

Flyers
Sabres
Wings
Rangers
Wild
Panthers

having interest in Laine. That seems to be a signicantly different list than what the likes of Elliott/Lebrun/McKenzie/Dreger have stated. Garrioch probably just throwing teams out there to round out a story.
he mentions gostisbehere so I wonder how big of a package if they want us to take a cap dump

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
@Daximus wrote in the previous thread: I'd wager if he (Laine) is moved it won't be until FA opens up and teams can talk to him about an extension.

The Jets can allow teams to discuss a potential extension with him as hes eligible to be extended when free agency opens. Similar to how Stone was able to talk extension to any teams willing to trade for him. It's like a sign and trade but more of a trade and sign.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Garrioch *spits* has:

Flyers
Sabres
Wings
Rangers
Wild
Panthers

he also included that CBJ and Canadiens have offered packages.

Reactions: Gil Fisher

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Garrioch *spits* has:

Flyers
Sabres
Wings
Rangers
Wild
Panthers

I've only heard of Montreal, Columbus, Philly and Carolina.

Doubt the Panthers have interest considering they are shedding salary. Also doubt the Sabres will be able to add anyone without significant salary coming back.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The Habs' GM said they weren't moving PK.

He said he was taking calls on him but not shopping him and that moving him wasnt realistic. Likely sighting his albatross contract as a result. Most would agree with him until Nashville stepped up to the plate with Webber.

Reactions: GNP

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Neither Eichel or Scheiffele would never except being the teams nr 2C. Would never work IMHO.

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If Brian Mc Cabe offers up Ekblad for Laine, that would be an interesting 1 for 1. I know people would like to get the #12, and I would too, because I think that would put us in a position to draft Lundell or Lapierre, but realistically I don't see how Laine can command more than Ekblad. History showed that a winger like Taylor Hall was worth only a top defenseman, same with Ryan Johansen. The fact management and coach alike are not entirely comfortable playing Laine on the top line, plays our hand a little, whereas there is little doubt that Ekblad is a 1st pairing d-man. And Ekblad has 5 years of term to boot, whereas Laine only has 3, unless he signs long term. The fact Ekblad received his signing bonus already saves the Jets on his salary this year too. At best I might hope to swap out Stanley, who is going to get stuck behind some good players, and has Chisholm now competing for playing time on the left side too, for Henrik Borgstrom, two guys drafted close together who have not made an impact. Borgstrom is a measure of centre depth, could compete with Gustafsson or Suess for 4c. Or as a depth winger. I think in a season where Ducky will be on a lot of people's minds, adding another one of his troops, like Ekblad, would bolster our team. I think it would give Scheifele and Morrissey a boost too. We can still trot out a power line with either of Connor/Ehlers with Scheif and Wheeler, and have a true top pairing d-pairing to back them up. There's ways I can conceive of replacing some of Laine's scoring (like a Roslovic for Bjorkstrand trade), but I don't think we have a clear path to improve our defense significantly without trade, it's going to be a patch job otherwise, and with BPA likely being a winger available at 10, we can draft one, having room to grow.

I think if we draft a guy like Jarvis, I would consider starting him out on Lowry's wing to start. Lowry showed some offense playing with a guy like Harkins. Adding a skilled winger would give us more of a 3 line attack. No better way to protect a young player than by having a heavy to create some space for you on the ice. I'm hoping that our defense is overhauled this offseason, and that if we move Laine, one of our objectives is to get faster on the wing...

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Why trade Connor? He is signed long term on a nice contact. Trading him doesn’t change the Laine situation it just limits our scoring.

Well, for one Connor probably has more value than Laine. Connor hasn't looked that good unless he's on the first line, Laine has been much more consistent on all the lines he has been on. In addition, Laine is better than Connor defensively.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Well, for one Connor probably has more value than Laine. Connor hasn't looked that good unless he's on the first line, Laine has been much more consistent on all the lines he has been on. In addition, Laine is better than Connor defensively.
Connor is signed long term on a nice deal. Trading him costs us about 40 goals and doesn’t make Laine any more likely to be signed. When we get players that have committed long term to the organization we keep them. You move the few that prefer to be elsewhere.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
An interesting team to watch on the Patrik Laine front may be the Philadelphia Flyers and the talk is they’re making an aggressive push. They have the ability to make the deal if they can find the right fit with the Jets. A league executive speculated Sunday the Flyers would probably want to see if there’s a fit in Winnipeg for defenceman Shayne Gostisbehere.

If this is the Flyer's offer, then their definition of "aggressive push" is quite a bit different than mine. IMO the Jets don't need a 5'11" 180lbs career minus defenceman.

Change Shayne Gostisbehere to Ivan Provorov and that gets interesting.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
If Brian Mc Cabe offers up Ekblad for Laine, that would be an interesting 1 for 1. I know people would like to get the #12, and I would too, because I think that would put us in a position to draft Lundell or Lapierre, but realistically I don't see how Laine can command more than Ekblad. History showed that a winger like Taylor Hall was worth only a top defenseman, same with Ryan Johansen. The fact management and coach alike are not entirely comfortable playing Laine on the top line, plays our hand a little, whereas there is little doubt that Ekblad is a 1st pairing d-man. And Ekblad has 5 years of term to boot, whereas Laine only has 3, unless he signs long term. The fact Ekblad received his signing bonus already saves the Jets on his salary this year too. At best I might hope to swap out Stanley, who is going to get stuck behind some good players, and has Chisholm now competing for playing time on the left side too, for Henrik Borgstrom, two guys drafted close together who have not made an impact. Borgstrom is a measure of centre depth, could compete with Gustafsson or Suess for 4c. Or as a depth winger. I think in a season where Ducky will be on a lot of people's minds, adding another one of his troops, like Ekblad, would bolster our team. I think it would give Scheifele and Morrissey a boost too. We can still trot out a power line with either of Connor/Ehlers with Scheif and Wheeler, and have a true top pairing d-pairing to back them up. There's ways I can conceive of replacing some of Laine's scoring (like a Roslovic for Bjorkstrand trade), but I don't think we have a clear path to improve our defense significantly without trade, it's going to be a patch job otherwise, and with BPA likely being a winger available at 10, we can draft one, having room to grow.

I think if we draft a guy like Jarvis, I would consider starting him out on Lowry's wing to start. Lowry showed some offense playing with a guy like Harkins. Adding a skilled winger would give us more of a 3 line attack. No better way to protect a young player than by having a heavy to create some space for you on the ice. I'm hoping that our defense is overhauled this offseason, and that if we move Laine, one of our objectives is to get faster on the wing...
Wouldn’t do it 1 for 1.
Ekblad + Tippett.... nothing less

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

u can sign an extension with 1 year remaining still on the current deal from July 1 (or Oct 9th i guess) onward. Little did that here

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Neither Eichel or Scheiffele would never except being the teams nr 2C. Would never work IMHO.

I don't think Schiefele's issue is being the number 1 C, it's wanting to play with players he feels best playing with. I don't think he'd care if Eichel got more ice time - if he played with Wheeler he might be upset :laugh:

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
An interesting team to watch on the Patrik Laine front may be the Philadelphia Flyers and the talk is they’re making an aggressive push. They have the ability to make the deal if they can find the right fit with the Jets. A league executive speculated Sunday the Flyers would probably want to see if there’s a fit in Winnipeg for defenceman Shayne Gostisbehere.

If this is the Flyer's offer, then their definition of "aggressive push" is quite a bit different than mine. IMO the Jets don't need a 5'11" 180lbs career minus defenceman.

Change Shayne Gostisbehere to Ivan Provorov and that gets interesting.
That’s an unreasonable ask. Agreed, I don’t particular want Gostisbehere, but there’s no chance we get Provorov back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad