Rumor: Trade Rumor Thread IV - "What's all the roar over RoR?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Going over the standings and looking for a trade partner that could use a guy like Brad Richards is a tough thing to do, but I think that I may have found a team that could use a solid center.

The Minnesota Wild are currently 10th in the West, 2 points out of the 8th spot. They have Koivu and Parise leading the team in scoring. The teams listed 2nd line center according to this site http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/depthchart.php?Min is Kyle Brodziak. Kyle has 2 points on the season. Mikael Granlund isn't faring much better with 6 points on the season.

The problem is that they would need to send salary back our way and the only guy I think they would be willing to part with in that regards would be Heatley.

Not an ideal choice, but one to consider as his contract is just for this season and next allowing us the financial flexibility to do some creative things during the summer of 2014

I would be looking for more than just Heater back because even when he struggles as he has this year, Richards is still putting up points to the tune of 60 points over a full season.

I know they are not going to part with Granlund or Coyle and they are going to look to retain Brodin as I believe he has vaulted to the top of their prospect listing regardless of what HF may have you believe.

That leads me to Dumba. A high risk, high reward kind of defenceman that would make me feel more comfortable pursuing a deal surrounding MDZ for ROR.

My thoughts are two-fold

Brad Richards to Minnesota for Heatley and Dumba

MDZ to Colorado for Ryan O'Reilly

The lines after these moves would look like this:

Hagelin - Stepan - Nash
Heatley - O'Reilly - Gaborik
Kreider - Miller - Callahan
Pyatt/Powe - Boyle/Halpern - Asham/Halpern/Boyle

On Defence we would take a step back this year

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Stralman
Eminger, Gilroy, Bickel

The defence is a little thin, but not for long.

Not sure if the Richards deal is pie in the sky or to low and the reason for that is Richards play is really concerning me. Is this what we can expect from him? or is this a phase he's going through.

Let me know what you guys think.

I think if Richards is dealt, it will be an off-season move. Doubt Minnesota would be interested with Parise and Suter on long-term contracts already.

Teams I could see being interested:
Toronto
Nashville
Dallas
Anaheim (if Getzlaf bolts)
Buffalo (If Ott leaves)
Florida (If Weiss leaves)
Phoenix (If they have money to spend)
Winnpeg
Calgary

SupersonicMonkey*

Again, you say that like it's just that easy to do. This team has been trying to find a real PMD for 10 years. There have been PLENTY of times that we thought we had one. Gilroy. Sanguinetti. Pock. Tyutin. Staal. Girardi. Redden. Ozolinsh. Rachunek. And on, and on, and on. Guys like MDZ are significantly harder to acquire than guys like RO'R. The ONLY way to think that would be a good trade is if you assume that O'Reilly actually becomes a 65-75 point first line center (and I've seen nothing--at ANY level--that makes me think he has that potential) AND you assume that Del Zotto gets no better than he is today (a silly assumption to make, since he's been steadily improving since he entered the league).

I understand your concerns about center depth. I really do. That said, if the price for O'Reilly is MDZ, we should be shopping elsewhere. 90-100 forwards regularly put up 50+ points per year. There is no need to pay out the nose for THIS one just because he happens to be the flavor of the month.

This isn't about points.

This isn't a vacuum. There are many variables at play.

You haven't "seen at any level"? How often have you seen O'Reilly play. Because from what I have seen and what experts around the league have seen, he's a future Selke contender and a #1-#2 center.

Flavor of the month it is not. More a case of these players don't become available often, and certainly not at his age as RFA.

I never "assumed Del Zotto won't get better". Those are your words. Del Zotto is going to get paid. 5+ per. McDonagh, Staal, and Girardi will always be more important. You don't pay a #4-#5 defenseman 5+ million per under a 64 million cap limit.

Richards will be 34 years old, with six years remaining at 6.6 per, after the 13-14 season. Right when the Rangers need to decide who to use the last compliance buy out on. At that point, with that contract, at that age, with a significantly lower cap ceiling, there's no trade value. He will have played 4 of his 9 year contract. Buy out.

If that happens, there is zero depth down the middle.

However, within two-three years, the Rangers organizational depth on defense will pay off. McIlrath, Skjei, Noreau.

The Rangers haven't had a "PMD". Del Zotto isn't that PMD either. He lacks the foot speed and consistency. He hasn't improved the transition. He doesn't carry the puck. He doesn't change the tempo of the game. He doesn't impact the game in the way we need a PMD. The Power Play hasn't improved and he's been a part of that.

Will he become a "better" player. Yes. No question. But unless he grows rockets in his skates he isn't going to be the kind of player we have continued to lack, even with him on the ice.

Tyson Barrie who is about the same age, one year younger (21), is more cost controlled, has the skating, vision, and passing to become that kind of player if Del Zotto is dealt for O'Reilly. IF. And that's what this whole thread is, rhetoric.

Cody Ceci up in Ottawa, is another one we could target in a separate deal.

But that's besides the point. The point is there are many factors at play here. Its not cut and dry.

There are reasons for and against.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The new CBA has

9. “Cap Advantage Recaptureâ€
For all existing SPCs with terms in excess of six (6) *years *(“long-term *contractsâ€), *a “Cap*Advantage * Recapture†*provision *will *become *applicable. * Specifically, *for *years *in which *the *Player *under *a *long-term contract is no longer playing in the League by reason of retirement, “defection†*from *the *NHL or otherwise (such that he is not playing and is not receiving Salary pursuant to the terms of his *SPC), *any *“Cap *Advantage†*that *may *have *been *gained by *a *Club *during *the *time *the *Player *was playing in the League *under *his *SPC *(defined *as the *amount *by *which *a *Player’s *actual *cash *compensation exceeds his *full *Averaged *Amount (“AAâ€)), *both *annually *and *in *the *aggregate, *will *be * “Recaptured,†*and *charged *against *the Club’s *Upper *Limit *from *year-to-year in equal amounts over the *remaining *term *of *the Player’s SPC.

If the contract in question is ever traded or assigned to one or more other Clubs in the League, each Club *will *be *subject *to *being *charged *with *any *and *all *“Cap *Advantage†*amounts *it receives while being obligated pursuant the contract.

The *“Cap *Advantage *Recapture†*provision *will *not apply *to *“Cap *Advantage†*amounts *a Club may *have gained prior *to *trading *a *Player’s *contract, where such trade occurred before the execution of the new Agreement (including any binding MOU).

On a “bona fide†mid-season retirement, the Cap Advantage Recapture charge shall begin accruing
in the following League Year. The parties shall discuss the treatment of a Cap Advantage
Recapture charge in the case of a retirement “orchestrated†*for *the *sole *purpose *of *delaying the cap charge to the following year.

http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/PDF/Summary-of-Terms-1-10-13.pdf

Richards contract comes into play here.

Compliance buyout gets Richards off the books. The Rangers don't take a cap hit. No worries about future cap hits. You can put your head on the pillow at night and not worry.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I highly doubt there will be a market for Richards with his current deal. As a UFA? Absolutely, but not as his contract stands now. Buyout or hope he rebounds. Those are our options.

TheRedViper

Dec 12, 2008
Niagara
I highly doubt there will be a market for Richards with his current deal. As a UFA? Absolutely, but not as his contract stands now. Buyout or hope he rebounds. Those are our options.

I think even if he rebounds, a buy-out should happen next summer. 6 more years at 6.6 after that point, at his age is quite the gamble.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I would honestly rather buy our Richards THIS off-season if they are going to do it. At least it will give them a shot at signing Getzlaf. In 2014 there are players like Bergeron, Stastny, Malkin but I doubt any of them hit UFA.

*Bob Richards*

There is no way Minnesota trades for Richards. Between him, Suter and Parise, they'd have the next 400 years locked up on three guys.

Also, I wan't nothing to do with Dany Heatley. He still has his shot, but everyone here has noticeably complained about anyone who shows themselves to be a poor skater. Guess what Heatley is? Other than a ****ing All-Star of course.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Translation: If a trade makes sense, the Sharks GM won’t be shy to pull the trigger.

While Wilson wouldn’t say it, if I had to guess, it would make sense for him to be looking to add help at the forward position and deal from his surplus on defense.

A few thousand miles away, I don’t imagine Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon is going to wait too much longer before moving some bodies from his disappointing squad. I’d give it another five or six games before the Panthers decide where they’re headed organizationally. And unless the Panthers get to winning some games in a hurry, I believe the focus soon will be on moving the program towards the younger faces in the organization. The most notable UFA-to-be on the team is center Stephen Weiss. Whether or not the Panthers attempt to re-sign him before the April 3 trade deadline is a decision that has yet to be made. Lots to play out here over the next few weeks in South Florida.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/22179/rumblings-can-bs-lure-alfredsson-away

Boston wants Alfredsson.

Gaborik for Boyle?

Weiss looks disinterested in Florida. I was watching the Leafs feed of the Leafs-Panthers game on Monday. Kyper and MacLean were wondering what happened to Weiss. He looks terrible. Weiss has been playing with Kopecky and Fleischmann. That entire team looks lost. This team almost beat Jersey in the playoffs last April. Too many long term deals on that team. Tallon had all that space to fill in 2011. Versteeg is hurt. Their best player is a 19 year old kid. Huberdeau.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Anaheim wants to get Getzlaf and Perry done before the trading deadline. If they can't re-sign one of them,they will trade that player instead of losing them for nothing. Getzlaf appears to the guy most likely to stay. Both of them could re-sign. Getzlaf's wife is from Anaheim. Getzlaf lives in California during the summer. That's his home. Anaheim doesn't want a Ryan Suter situation.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/22179/rumblings-can-bs-lure-alfredsson-away

Boston wants Alfredsson.

Gaborik for Boyle?

Weiss looks disinterested in Florida. I was watching the Leafs feed of the Leafs-Panthers game on Monday. Kyper and MacLean were wondering what happened to Weiss. He looks terrible. Weiss has been playing with Kopecky and Fleischmann. That entire team looks lost. This team almost beat Jersey in the playoffs last April. Too many long term deals on that team. Tallon had all that space to fill in 2011. Versteeg is hurt. Their best player is a 19 year old kid. Huberdeau.

With the way Clowe is struggling, I wonder what the price would be.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Clowe is just so damn slow. Unless you're putting him with Richards to create a "take it easy" line, I don't see the point. Still interested in Murray though.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I think it's a bad idea to make a BIG move this yr. I mean the team did get first in the East last yr and they made a move with Nash .......they deserve this yr to win with this group........adding vets for picks in the process for sure.

Honestly Gaborik, Nash, Richards will be judged on how they perform in the playoffs..........FIRST we have to get there of course........after that I am fine with Callahan, Stepan in the top 6 and boy Hagelin has been on fire lately so he deservies a top 6 role right now.

After that it's iffy......Boyle should be a goner next yr but they may regret moving him this yr since he is part of the team chemistry. Pyatt has done well enough to get 3rd line minutes so they need that 1 Forward rental............Antropov?

4th line is solid with Powe coming back hopefully, Halpern and Asham have done a pretty good job at their roles really.

On D Gilroy has done a pretty good job but a rental D is needed for sure. I don't move DZ for ROR. Too risky right now

so inclosing, deadline pickups are a D(ideally top 4 rental) and a 2nd/3rd line depth guy. All for picks and/or midlevel prospects.........Eminger thrown in to move a contract.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

My thoughts on that article were pretty much summed up with this bit from the comments:

"If my son was getting 95 in math we wouldn’t ask him to get 65 so the rest of the students in the classroom could feel better about themselves."

Brian, your son is an 80 asking to get a 95 in math because, you know, he tries so hard.

Guy really should have just kept his mouth shut. No need for a philosophical perspective here.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
My thoughts on that article were pretty much summed up with this bit from the comments:

Guy really should have just kept his mouth shut. No need for a philosophical perspective here.

Totally agree.

Still want ROR though....

The more this team struggles like last night, the more apt Sather is to make a big deal.

tjs252

Feb 10, 2007
To repeat, I think trading Richards now is shortsighted and counter productive. If you want him off the books, you buy him out, and it's all that much easier since there's no other buyout candidate on the roster (Nash, I guess, but that's crazy talk).

If trading Richards is the hypothetical discussion, the only teams that make any sense are the ones that have an exceptionally hard time luring/retaining FAs. Think Florida, Edmonton, Tampa, Columbus, Nashville, Phoenix, et al. Even then, I have a hard time finding a fit with any of them save Florida if they want to make an enormous Weiss/Campbell swap, and even then, I'm not sure that makes any sense for either team, though the Rangers certainly get the PP help that's needed/coveted.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
To repeat, I think trading Richards now is shortsighted and counter productive. If you want him off the books, you buy him out, and it's all that much easier since there's no other buyout candidate on the roster (Nash, I guess, but that's crazy talk).

If trading Richards is the hypothetical discussion, the only teams that make any sense are the ones that have an exceptionally hard time luring/retaining FAs. Think Florida, Edmonton, Tampa, Columbus, Nashville, Phoenix, et al. Even then, I have a hard time finding a fit with any of them save Florida if they want to make an enormous Weiss/Campbell swap, and even then, I'm not sure that makes any sense for either team, though the Rangers certainly get the PP help that's needed/coveted.

I think a team like Nashville would look hard at Richards considering their trouble bringing in UFA talent.

Also, I don't agree with the "buy-him out now or he will come back to bite us" rhetoric. If the Rangers can turn Richards and his contract into positive assets you do it. If he retires, he retires. I doubt he does. His internal cap hit will be attractive to some smaller market teams without a doubt.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Not to be a debbie downer, but what happens if the Rangers are still struggling come the deadline? As of now, they are in 9th. Definitely not out of it but this is after a 6-3-1 last 10 games. What would happen if they are 6-8 points out by the deadline? They have practically no one to sell if they wanted to go that route (doubt they would).

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ
Not to be a debbie downer, but what happens if the Rangers are still struggling come the deadline? As of now, they are in 9th. Definitely not out of it but this is after a 6-3-1 last 10 games. What would happen if they are 6-8 points out by the deadline? They have practically no one to sell if they wanted to go that route (doubt they would).

Gaborik? Halpern?

I know Gaborik has next year on the books but you have to think some team would take him.

You're right though, not much to sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad