Rumor: Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XXV: It's a Marty Party [*Mod Warning post #132]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
6:05PM: The gap between the Rangers and Ryan Callahan is still “substantial†with Callahan looking for seven years at more than $6.5 million per season and the Rangers offering five-years and $6 million per season. (NY Post)

The Rangers may be willing to go to six years in order to close the deal but if Callahan insists on seven-years and/or more than $6.5 million he will be traded. (NY Post)

http://snyrangersblog.com/2013-14/2...s-still-there/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source= twitterfeed

Sounds like it may all be coming together. And Sather will still go after St. Louis, picks and prospects and namely one or two LW on the big team I could see all being in play.

Congrats to Danny G. More then earned it.

I think you're misreading that. Brooks was implying that if Callahan does not come down the rangers will again try to spin Callahan to TBL for MSL while sweetening the pot with picks/prospects.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
How is he anything more?

Was he drafted by this team? No.
Did he spend any significant time with this team? No.
Did he cause or even take part in any significant post-season success with this team? No.

What did he do? Break a record thanks to heavily over-inflated post-lockout scoring? Great.

The guy was here for 3 years. He was a very exciting player to watch, and IMO, he's the greatest European player in NHL history. That doesn't make him any more significant a Ranger. He was a stop gap player on what were, taken as a whole, terrible teams

As a Ranger fan for over 20 years, words can't describe how much more Ryan Callahan means to me as a fan of this team than Jaromir Jagr. Wayne Gretzky is a more important Ranger than Jaromir Jagr, and Wayne Gretzky wasn't all that important a Ranger himself.

The Rangers should never have traded for Jagr to begin with; maybe they wouldn't have been mired in mediocrity for years to come.

Can't side with you on this one ("minor footnote") but agree that Callahan is a more important Ranger.

Jagr did break two regular season scoring records (for the NYR) that season, but, more importantly, he almost single-handedly brought this sad sack franchise from the years prior to the lockout to being back in the playoffs and restored some respectability around here. The Rangers were far FAR worse than "mediocre" in the years preceding his arrival.

He's no Ranger great, but he's an all time great, and his small tenure here did have a pretty big immediate impact.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I think you're misreading that. Brooks was implying that if Callahan does not come down the rangers will again try to spin Callahan to TBL for MSL while sweetening the pot with picks/prospects.

One can hope but smells like desperation, Yzerman will feast on this.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Miller to the Blues makes them instant favorites out of the West, IMO. And they can still acquire more talent up front before next week with one of their extra goalies.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky
John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl 27s
Source says expect the Sabres to make official trade announcement tonight, likely soon.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
If all it takes to bring in MSL is an unsigned Callahan and a Jesper Fast, why is this not already done?

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
******* MSL, and he's always been my favorite player.. go after kesler if its true hes available

Callahan, Brassard, Dorsett, Lindberg/fast, conditional pick for Kesler booth

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
He's been an underwhelming scorer, not performer, just as the rest of his team has been. The team that has consistently lacked offensive talent and has asked Callahan to do far more than he ever should have been asked to do. And he may not have made it to the playoffs healthy every time, but the Rangers wouldn't have made the playoffs without him.

He's the second most important Ranger of the last 15 years. He's an EXCELLENT role player, and scoring has very little to do with what makes him a great player. How you know what sort of leader he is is beyond me. You're not in the room. Based on what we as fans see, one can only assume that he's an incredible leader, since he's spent the vast majority of his career outworking other players on the ice, being an exemplary professional, and sacrificing his well-being for the good of the team. Doing anything he can within his ability (and often times more) to help his team win.

Girardi takes a slight discount and suddenly he's all about the team, but Callahan, who has spent 5 years playing like nothing matters to him more than his team winning, wants to get paid and now he's a selfish *****.

Girardi shouldn't be on the PP. He's one (not the biggest) of the reasons the team's PP has been as bad as it has been prior to this season. I think Girardi is better than Hjalmarsson, but I'd rather have the latter, 26 years of age, at $4.1 mill than Girardi, 29, at $5.5 mill

That is a great deal for chicago. These chicago guys have all taken less to some extent to sign deals.

NYR Sting

Heart and Soul
Jul 4, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Miller to the Blues makes them instant favorites out of the West, IMO. And they can still acquire more talent up front before next week with one of their extra goalies.

Miller to the Blues is downright scary. It has to make them the odds-on favorite to win the Cup now. Never thought I'd say that about anyone besides Pittsburgh, but with their depth...

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky
If all it takes to bring in MSL is an unsigned Callahan and a Jesper Fast, why is this not already done?

Because maybe it isn't NYR adding a prospect, it's them finding a 3rd dancing partner for Callahan that gets Steve Y what he wants.

It explains both the delay on getting a deal done, and why it would have been originally just Cally/MSL.

My theory, because yes if it was just add a prospect to Cally, Sather probably pulls the trigger already.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Why are we comparing Hjalmarsson's contract and Girardi's contract? It's ironic because if anybody other than Rangerboy posted a comparison RB would be saying "One guy signed a RFA offer sheet the other signed contract heading into UFA"

I was gonna say its more comparable to Mac's extension.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad