Rumor: Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XIX: The Olympic Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
If paying a guy like Boyle or Moore and extra 500k or so is the difference between keeping our bottom 6 in tact as opposed to keeping the trend of bottom 6 turnover going like we have for years count me in. The money will be there if we don't go blow it all on everyone's pipe dream Stastny.

Everyone keeps saying this but you can't overpay Boyle AND Cally AND Girardi, etc. etc. etc.

You have to cut it off somewhere.

As far as Stasny goes, yeah you can call him a pipe dream... Sather can not sign him... and then when you buy out Richards you'll have plenty of $ and no one to spend it on.

I'm not advocating Stasny, but you have to fill the #1 (or #2... whatever) C position and it's not coming from Hartford.

Bottom line, with all the UFAs and with the Richards buyout a certainty, this team WILL look radically different next season. It a numbers game. You can't re-up everyone, and even if you could... would you really want to?!?!

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Are you talking about trading Zuccarello?

Only if with limited time in the season and IF he were out the next 2-3 wks min, meaning he is literally only good for end of season and playoffs, and is UFA after, then yes, I would suggest see if an offer is high enough -- at least a 1st.

Happily not the case.
not broken - believed stress injury ok w/in 7-10 days.

In that case no deal unless offers are crazy.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Everyone keeps saying this but you can't overpay Boyle AND Cally AND Girardi, etc. etc. etc.

You have to cut it off somewhere.

As far as Stasny goes, yeah you can call him a pipe dream... Sather can not sign him... and then when you buy out Richards you'll have plenty of $ and no one to spend it on.

I'm not advocating Stasny, but you have to fill the #1 (or #2... whatever) C position and it's not coming from Hartford.

Bottom line, with all the UFAs and with the Richards buyout a certainty, this team WILL look radically different next season. It a numbers game. You can't re-up everyone, and even if you could... would you really want to?!?!

Starting to become a regular thing.

Theres no perfect way, or certain way to build a team but I do believe in continuity and building off your past failures.

With the changes we make every season, thats really difficult to do.

I don't want to keep Callahan for what he wants. But I'm really hoping we keep G and Stralman. The defense we have right now is pretty damn good and by far the strength of our team along with Hank. I'm confident Girardi will be back but I think Stralman will be paid elsewhere.

Then theres Boyle. Seems like a guy who will no doubt get overpaid. I'd like to retain him though.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Zuccarello will be a RFA...

Only if with limited time in the season and IF he were out the next 2-3 wks min, meaning he is literally only good for end of season and playoffs, and is UFA after, then yes, I would suggest see if an offer is high enough -- at least a 1st.

Happily not the case.
not broken - believed stress injury ok w/in 7-10 days.

In that case no deal unless offers are crazy.

BarbaraAlphanse

Love how were grouping Boyle's "potential" asking price with Callahan and Girardi's reported asking prices.

Boyle's looking at 6 years 5+ million at least.

Trade him for a 7th. Get some value in return at least.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Ryan McDonagh is playing on the top Defensive Pair for Definitely one of the top 3 teams in the Olympics, if not the outright best team.

On his "off-side" for the first time in his career.

Just marvel at that.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
cally's value probably rising with his olympic showing...not sure what that means, in terms of a trade. but probably not going to lower his price for the rangers.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
cally's value probably rising with his olympic showing...not sure what that means, in terms of a trade. but probably not going to lower his price for the rangers.

He's playing well w backes so the blues may bite. Need a lot for Cally , gonna be a sad day but likely has to happen

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
...gonna be a sad day but likely has to happen

i know how you feel. cally is a home-grown local guy who's turned into a world-class player. and the kind of player the rangers - and any team - would really want. but he's probably going to be traded and - in a capped world - it is probably the correct thing to do. unless cally is viewed as the replacement for richards, salary-wise.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
https://twitter.com/GlobeFluto/status/436217520618741760

McD has no weak side.

Pierre McGuire asked him about playing weak side with Suter. McDonagh didn't seem fazed by playing right side. He reads off of Suter.

It's impressive for sure. Doubt we see it happen with the Rangers until Girardi is moved, but it's an interesting contingency plan. Easier to find another lefty than a righty. I know there's one in Vancouver that seemed to be a favorite of our current coach, but is in the dog house of our old one.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
It's impressive for sure. Doubt we see it happen with the Rangers until Girardi is moved, but it's an interesting contingency plan. Easier to find another lefty than a righty. I know there's one in Vancouver that seemed to be a favorite of our current coach, but is in the dog house of our old one.

Which one in particular?

BarbaraAlphanse

Edler could be a good contingency plan in the even Staal leaves.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Ryan McDonagh is playing on the top Defensive Pair for Definitely one of the top 3 teams in the Olympics, if not the outright best team.

On his "off-side" for the first time in his career.

Just marvel at that.

Suter makes the break out pass 4/5 times. It's easier to play the off-side on the big ice.

Can anyone name one single right shooting D playing on the left in the NHL? There is a reason for that. The Czech used Gudas on LD, you would never see that in the NHL.

It would be great if McD could play RD. But it's not something we could count on. Staal would not take care of the out let passes like Suter is doing. McD would have one option with the puck, take it to center ice. He can't go wide off he forechecker and and make the N-S play.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
But not an "upgrade" like Stastny for 7.5 million.

The problem is as the cap goes up, so will the contracts. Even mediocre guys are going to get paid well (see Clarkson) moving forward, especially as the cap continues to rise.

and Stastny overpaid or not would be a clear upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad