Rumor: Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XIX: The Olympic Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
You can ask for whatever you want, but I'd be blown away if the Rangers pulled that kind of haul from the Blues. One reason for Stewart being on the block is so they can clear space for Jaskin next season. They're a budget team and moving $4.1M off the books opens up room to bring in a viable scoring center, which is their biggest need outside of stable goaltending.

Stewart, one of Schmaltz or Vanelli, and Edmonton's 2nd round pick with the condition it becomes a first if the Blues make the SCF, or becomes the Blues 1st and adds a 2nd next year if they re-sign Callahan.

Trxjw, I like your trade. Much more realistic than what I proposed.

Still, it never hurts to ask for everything. STL really wants to get over the hump. For as bad as we've had it as fans with one ECF since 1997, the Blues haven't been to the SCF since 1970. They've had great teams but always ran into an issue.

As GWOW said, the Rangers gambled hard in 1994. They gave up Amonte for players that would get them over the hump. Sather is a master at this. He has to play the Blues and Sharks against each other and use the Kings, Ducks, Hawks, and Avs to his advantage. The Rangers are in a win-win situation with Cally. Vanek's great but he's not gritty. Moulson is gritty but he's slow. Cammeleri is old. No one has Cally's grit and he's showing it on an International Stage.

If they reach a deal, awesome. If not, he might be able to get quite a return if played right.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
I will take that bet.

I'm in too.

edit: at first I was like: "hey! that guy has the same avatar as kenjet-whatever" and then I realized people just change their names.

Do you do that just so most ppl forget all the random bs you've said over time? I'm not even implying anything. I tend to skip over giant paragraphs in the trade section. I'm just curious.

BarbaraAlphanse

I'm in too.

edit: at first I was like: "hey! that guy has the same avatar as kenjet-whatever" and then I realized people just change their names.

Do you do that just so most ppl forget all the random bs you've said over time? I'm not even implying anything. I tend to skip over giant paragraphs in the trade section. I'm just curious.

I felt it was just time to have a change. I made my username Kenjets early on in high school. Felt like it was time to let it go.

I have no shame in what I say. I know what I stand for, that doesn't change with my username.

Although, I must say the giant paragraphs remark seems like a swipe... HMMMM... Stasis :madfire:

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
You'd have to imagine that seeing how well Backes and Cally play together has Blue's management drooling. I personally hope he doesn't get dealt, but if he does, let's hope the blues overpay with young talent(Keep Stewart the heck away from this team).

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
You'd have to imagine that seeing how well Backes and Cally play together has Blue's management drooling. I personally hope he doesn't get dealt, but if he does, let's hope the blues overpay with young talent(Keep Stewart the heck away from this team).

I tend to agree. Stewart doesn't do it for me. Guy is more infuriating to watch than Wolski. Great talent but not much between the ears.

If Callahan goes to the Blues, I want Jaskin.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I felt it was just time to have a change. I made my username Kenjets early on in high school. Felt like it was time to let it go.

I have no shame in what I say. I know what I stand for, that doesn't change with my username.

Although, I must say the giant paragraphs remark seems like a swipe... HMMMM... Stasis :madfire:

The real answer is, he saw coolest poster ever Ailurophile truncate his name and decided he should change it up too. Don't be ashamed.

Also, I will take the bet as well.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I tend to agree. Stewart doesn't do it for me. Guy is more infuriating to watch than Wolski. Great talent but not much between the ears.

If Callahan goes to the Blues, I want Jaskin.

Being in a playoff race do they not need a proven nhler back aswell? I'd love jaskin in the deal aswell no doubt but need a replacement now. Don't say miller cause it's the same as playing jaskin right away

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Being in a playoff race do they not need a proven nhler back aswell? I'd love jaskin in the deal aswell no doubt but need a replacement now. Don't say miller cause it's the same as playing jaskin right away

Jaskin is in a similar situation in STL as Miller is here. NHL ready, but blocked by better players. It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out, I do agree that Sather will ask for a stopgap player that will be used for this year's push, though I'm in the mindset that this team will lose less than most think by exchanging Callahan for Jaskin on the third line.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers are the ice this morning. Not in the afternoon.

Ryan Callahan was on Michael Kay's show yesterday. He admitted being Sochi has been good because he doesn't have to deal with the trade rumors. The contract offered by the Rangers is more than generous.

The freeze ends Sunday at midnight. 9/10 days to the trade deadline. You would think teams will start being active by the middle of next week.

The Rangers have Girardi to deal with. Who knows about the other guys. Stralman and Boyle? Pierre LeBrun had reported a few months that the Rangers were looking to move DZ and Boyle. They moved DZ three weeks ago.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
We didn't sign Richie to a 9 year 6.7M per year contract (actual dollars are kind of irrelevant for this team) for him to be a 60 point center. We expected him to be at his PPG pace he was putting up in Dallas.

Justifying to sign Stastny to a terrible contract because he's mildly better than another terrible contract (Richards) and will only cost mildly more is absolutely awful logic.

This exactly. Yes, Stastny in the coming years will be better than Richards in the coming years, that's pretty much automatic given their respective age. But will he be much better than Richards this season or 2011/12? 55-60 points was said in this thread and that seems realistic given Stastny's play in recent years. That's what Richards brings now and it is not worth $7.5+ million.

nikonsniper*

This exactly. Yes, Stastny in the coming years will be better than Richards in the coming years, that's pretty much automatic given their respective age. But will he be much better than Richards this season or 2011/12? 55-60 points was said in this thread and that seems realistic given Stastny's play in recent years. That's what Richards brings now and it is not worth $7.5+ million.

We basically have three options:

(1) Keep a declining Richards who will drop down 5 points per year

(2) Sign Statsny (if possible) at a leveled-off production at 60 points

(3) Hope Brassard of Stepan can become true 1st line centers

Nobody else is going to trade us a 1st line C for a 6th round pick, and we arent going to be drafting one by constantly picking around the #20 spot.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Trxjw, I like your trade. Much more realistic than what I proposed.

Still, it never hurts to ask for everything. STL really wants to get over the hump. For as bad as we've had it as fans with one ECF since 1997, the Blues haven't been to the SCF since 1970. They've had great teams but always ran into an issue.

As GWOW said, the Rangers gambled hard in 1994. They gave up Amonte for players that would get them over the hump. Sather is a master at this. He has to play the Blues and Sharks against each other and use the Kings, Ducks, Hawks, and Avs to his advantage. The Rangers are in a win-win situation with Cally. Vanek's great but he's not gritty. Moulson is gritty but he's slow. Cammeleri is old. No one has Cally's grit and he's showing it on an International Stage.

If they reach a deal, awesome. If not, he might be able to get quite a return if played right.

If he's traded, I'm hopeful for the best return. However, I just think that Callahan is more of a luxury than a need for the Blues, so they're unlikely to get involved in a bidding war for him. On a team that has a lot of depth on the wing, and a lot of grit in the lineup, two of Callahan's primary selling points aren't really a priority. I think the success he's having with Backes might be a decent card to play, but it's not the kind of thing that'll suddenly cause St. Louis to give up another prime asset.

When all is said and done, I wouldn't be surprised to see the deal be Stewart and one of the prospects I mentioned plus a mid round pick. I could see the Rangers having more interest in a prospect who is further along than rolling the dice with a first round pick.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007

Nobody else is going to trade us a 1st line C for a 6th round pick, and we arent going to be drafting one by constantly picking around the #20 spot.

Or (4) Go with Stepan and Brassard and look for a better deal in the future.

If it was just for next season, I'd agree with you and would sign Stastny, but it would be a long term commitment. Overpaying an UFA just because he's the best available center didn't work well in the past and is still a bad idea.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Ill go with #3 because, even though I dont think Stepan or Brassard will become "true 1st line centers," it shows some level of patience

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
You can ask for whatever you want, but I'd be blown away if the Rangers pulled that kind of haul from the Blues. One reason for Stewart being on the block is so they can clear space for Jaskin next season. They're a budget team and moving $4.1M off the books opens up room to bring in a viable scoring center, which is their biggest need outside of stable goaltending.

Stewart, one of Schmaltz or Vanelli, and Edmonton's 2nd round pick with the condition it becomes a first if the Blues make the SCF, or becomes the Blues 1st and adds a 2nd next year if they re-sign Callahan.

Or (4) Go with Stepan and Brassard and look for a better deal in the future.

If it was just for next season, I'd agree with you and would sign Stastny, but it would be a long term commitment. Overpaying an UFA just because he's the best available center didn't work well in the past and is still a bad idea.

Ill go with #3 because, even though I dont think Stepan or Brassard will become "true 1st line centers," it shows some level of patience

Absolutely agreed.

One thing's for sure, option 1 would be by far the worst choice.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The problem at center under Sather's watch is so stark, so pervasive, that Im only half joking when I say that every draft pick, every trade the Rangers make for the foreseeable future should be for centers.

nrf83

May 6, 2004
golf course

Stasny, 2nd round 44th overall 2005; its possible

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Stasny, 2nd round 44th overall 2005; its possible

Yea, but why do that when you can pay the guy $50M? :sarcasm:

The Rangers absolutely need to get it out of their mind that the best player available on the market each offseason is the solution.

BarbaraAlphanse

The real answer is, he saw coolest poster ever Ailurophile truncate his name and decided he should change it up too. Don't be ashamed.

Also, I will take the bet as well.

Link?

Also, I should be keeping a tab of all the people that will owe me 500 vcash in a couple of weeks.

-31-
Stasis
Ail

Anyone else want to contribute virtual money to KJ36?

BarbaraAlphanse

The Rangers are the ice this morning. Not in the afternoon.

Ryan Callahan was on Michael Kay's show yesterday. He admitted being Sochi has been good because he doesn't have to deal with the trade rumors. The contract offered by the Rangers is more than generous.

The freeze ends Sunday at midnight. 9/10 days to the trade deadline. You would think teams will start being active by the middle of next week.

The Rangers have Girardi to deal with. Who knows about the other guys. Stralman and Boyle? Pierre LeBrun had reported a few months that the Rangers were looking to move DZ and Boyle. They moved DZ three weeks ago.

I get the feeling that this will be a very slow and uneventful deadline. I don't think many trades will happen on the deadline day, let alone a week or more in advance.

BarbaraAlphanse

Stastny has a foot out the door. Colorado sits in 3rd in their division with games in hand. If they get hot again they could even challenge for first.

There have been potential trade rumblings, but nothing of the magnitude of what the media is doing with Cally.

Colorado is in an even more precarious situation than the Rangers as every indication is that they're not willing to even negotiate at Stastny's asking price. Rangers offered Callahan a high contract relative to his actual value. Colorado isn't even in a position to do that.

But no one's beating that situation to death in the media. No one is arguing why Colorado absolutely has to trade him. But the Rangers have to trade Callahan.

The Rangers don't have to do anything. Trading for a 3rd line winger that inconsistently scores is obsolete. Miller could come in and fit in with the club better. Fast too. We have 2 replacements already in place. Block them with the acquisition of Stewart.

If Cally is traded (which I'm 99% certain he won't be unless some team ponies up a first and their top prospect) the return should be for players that can be part of the solution for the next 5-6 years. Wasn't that what everyone was so hell bent on months ago? "The Rangers F.O can't adequately plan for the future!!" Got news for you guys - Callahan for Stewart isn't planning for the future. It's offering a bandaid and deferring a decision for a year.

The trade should be for future pieces. 1st, good prospects, young players (i.e of the Hagelin, Kreider mold). Some combination of those 3 should be what we're looking to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad