Trade Proposals and Free Agency Thread - 2017 Edition Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
We need an upgrade but we would be in a good position if Marleau could be a full time C and TyBo was our #4C.
If Marleau can play the 3C for the remainder of the year, we might be ok moving Bozak.
Next year we can either transition Nylander into the Bozak center role or address a 3C through other means.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If Marleau can play the 3C for the remainder of the year, we might be ok moving Bozak.
Next year we can either transition Nylander into the Bozak center role or address a 3C through other means.

Would be best as Marleau seems to have a biggest impact when he is at C.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Assuming we make no dramatic moves. I think the biggest things for this team are finding a 4th line center similar to Boyle which allows the 4th line to play tougher comp and not only be sheltered. Secondly, we need to find a 4/5d who can kill penalties and make simple passes, which will allow Borgman and/or Carrick to play tougher comp. Given our depth of young players and a decent selection of picks, these shouldn't be too hard to find when teams officially start falling out of the race and are willing to sell.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Personally I think the biggest need on this team, besides any off-the-wall moves like signing Carlson or Tavares (stating the obvious) is:

Finding a Bozak level replacement for the #3C role. I guess it could be filled by resigning Bozak himself but I think Lars Eller is the best obvious, and potentially cost-saving fit. Backlund is also a stretch option as well, depending if we want to pinch pennies at that spot. If I'm building a team in today's NHL, I'm building it top 9 heavy up the middle->defense and outwards.

Dermott likely graduates next year. Can't see the Leafs overgrooming him for a 2nd year straight. Carrick has been more than adequate at the #3 RHD role, I've been as hard as anyone on him last year- but his play has taken a step up this year. He's noticeably anchoring that pairing, while Borgman has looked awful in spurts IMO. Unless you get a cheap stop-gap, reclamation type like Petrovic- you probably leave that situation open for training camp........and see if one of the bigger D's in the pipeline grab a spot down the line, if size is indeed a pressing concern downstream.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Assuming we make no dramatic moves. I think the biggest things for this team are finding a 4th line center similar to Boyle which allows the 4th line to play tougher comp and not only be sheltered. Secondly, we need to find a 4/5d who can kill penalties and make simple passes, which will allow Borgman and/or Carrick to play tougher comp. Given our depth of young players and a decent selection of picks, these shouldn't be too hard to find when teams officially start falling out of the race and are willing to sell.

The Gudbranson rumour is/was interesting in the sense I think hes exactly the type of aquisition they might be looking to make (whether you think Gudbranson sucks or not).
Get a RHD who can play on the third pairing, can kill penalties, play physical and give Borgman more stability. The killiing penalties part is very important because we cant have Hainsey logging those type of minutes consistently or by game 60+ he'll be toast.

Here's a question for you.

I have actually never watched a full game in Robert Bortuzzo's career. Seen a few plays here and there but couldnt tell you if I thought he was a bad player or not and I havent even looked at his advanced stats.
All I know is the guy is tall, has gotten into a handfull of fights and currently plays for STL. So is this guy one of these old school big tough defenders who lack skating ability and/or puck skills or can he actually stick in the league with the way the game is played nowadays?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

I wonder that if the Coyotes continue to struggle up until the deadline that they would look for a bit of a reset and maybe move Hjalmarsson

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The nice thing about Bozak on the 4th line is that it can keep Moore out the lineup and adds an increased scoring threat as well. Whether or not they should trade Bozak will depend on the price and how confident Babcock is that one of Marleau or Nylander can handle full time centre duties.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
The Gudbranson rumour is/was interesting in the sense I think hes exactly the type of aquisition they might be looking to make (whether you think Gudbranson sucks or not).

Gudbranson is horrible. We might as well have tried to keep Marchenko if we wanted a bigger RHD, though I'm not sure if we could have prevented his move.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Gudbranson is horrible. We might as well have tried to keep Marchenko if we wanted a bigger RHD, though I'm not sure if we could have prevented his move.

I didnt say Gudbranson was good, bad or whatever. Just that he's prolly the type of aquisition we're trying to make (a RHD, who can kill penalties, preferebly has size).

Hainsey will be so taxed late season if he has to kill penalties at the rate he has so far.

Getting someone who can alleviate some of his PK minutes is essential imo.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
We need an upgrade but we would be in a good position if Marleau could be a full time C and TyBo was our #4C.
imo, Bozak shouldn't be anywhere BUT on the 4th line, or should I say on the Leafs he shouldn't be anywhere but the 4th line, he'd look good on any other team regardless of where he gets slotted in their line up!

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
#1: Goat.
#2: need a "Nurse/Savard/Johnson" type player.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I didnt say Gudbranson was good, bad or whatever. Just that he's prolly the type of aquisition we're trying to make (a RHD, who can kill penalties, preferebly has size).

Hainsey will be so taxed late season if he has to kill penalties at the rate he has so far.

Getting someone who can alleviate some of his PK minutes is essential imo.

How about Babcock bites the bullet and starts trying the other guys on the PK instead of only using 2 guys the whole time, the bottom pair is working right now and replacing someone like Carrick who can move the puck and is very useful 5v5 for someone like Gudbranson is ******* insane

Reactions: Menzinger

weems

Jul 3, 2008
How about Babcock bites the bullet and starts trying the other guys on the PK instead of only using 2 guys the whole time, the bottom pair is working right now and replacing someone like Carrick who can move the puck and is very useful 5v5 for someone like Gudbranson is ******* insane

Yep you could start using other guys but it sounds like Babcock is super afraid of injury from PK use.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yep you could start using other guys but it sounds like Babcock is super afraid of injury from PK use.

Didn't we have a PK situation against the habs up about 5-0 or 6-0 and Hainsey still played about 1:50 of the two minutes?

Why isn't someone like Borgman getting the last minute of the kill in that situation?

Start feeding Carrick and Borgman minutes against the other teams 2nd units or call up Marincin, things don't have to be this bad with 2 guys doing absolutely everything

Trusting guys is one thing but what's going on now is just unnecessary

Reactions: weems

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Yep, I'd like to see some other in house guys tried out on the PK before any sort of trade is made for Polak 2.0 who'll do more harm than good

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
#1: Goat.
#2: need a "Nurse/Savard/Johnson" type player.
Goat was heavily sheltered last year, I don't think he makes the 4th line able to play tougher comp effectively at the moment.

I'd say Savard, Nurse and Johnson are 2/3's the price to get them will be way more than we necessarily need to play. We just need a guy who can be effective and kill PKs, even if its a vet.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Is this Babcock being stubborn?

Yes, he doesn't have to be either, just get those guys into the PK meetings and start easing them into the role, they don't have to do a ton just play them against 2nd units and in games that aren't close as they get acclimated

Reactions: weems

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Besides this PK talk, if we lose JVR particularly, our #1PP unit is going to have to face a huge revamp internally. No one is going to replace how effective he is in front of the net or in tight. This drop off is already apparent from the #1->#2 PP unit.

On paper, losing JVR on the PP is probably going to be far more pronounced than a 3rd D anchoring the PK. I do think we could use another D besides Rielly in spot duties on the PK though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad