Trade Proposals and Free Agency Thread - 2017 Edition Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
OEL doesn't even make sense for this team. Gardiner goes the other way for sure, and is the upgrade from Gardiner to OEL for arguably not a long time (if he just leaves UFA wanting a ridiculous amount of money the Leafs can't afford) worth it? OEL is a #1, but we have good enough top 4 defensemen. We just have to count on Gardiner and Zaitsev figuring themselves out.

I agree, we should be looking for another stud #2 to go along with Reilly, Gardiner and Zaitsev. No need for a number 1 at this moment.

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
OEL makes a lot of sense because he's good and we need more quality on the backend. With that said, I'm in agreement that we don't have to go all out for him. The trade would have to make a lot of sense and it's hard to see a fit for both teams. This bit from the article is the more telling:

In spite of the Leafs’ seeming “need” for a top-pairing blueliner, there has been little evidence to suggest the Leafs have been burning up the phone lines with an eye towards giving up one of their young offensive stars to get one.

[...]

This latter point may irritate many Leaf fans who envision giving up one of them for a stud defenceman, but (certainly for now anyway), the Leafs believe more in the concept of perhaps not having a true No. 1 D but trying to have five Top 4 D, if that makes any sense. Maybe that’s simply a forced choice, because trading for a true No. 1 defenceman is near impossible.

Things can change (especially if Weber is potentially up for grabs if MTL blows it up) but I'm not sure they are trying as hard as people think to get that defenseman.

Last edited:

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
OEL makes a lot of sense because he's good and we need more quality on the backend. With that said, I'm in agreement that we don't have to go all out for him. The trade would have to make a lot of sense and it's hard to see a fit for both teams. This bit from the article is the more telling:

Things can change (especially if Weber is potentially up for grabs if MTL blows it up) but I'm not sure they are trying as hard as people think to get that defenseman.

And we definitely will not be giving Montreal out of all teams one of Marner or Nylander this is 99.9% certain. That's as bad as giving them Courtnall for Kordic. You mine as well resign now as GM

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
And we definitely will not be giving Montreal out of all teams one of Marner or Nylander this is 99.9% certain. That's as bad as giving them Courtnall for Kordic. You mine as well resign now as GM

Very unlikely either leave for a defenseman regardless of who it is.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
For OEL, at least it's improved from the old Nylander+ for Montour days, OEL is a bloody good player
We aren't in a hurry to do anything.
They've already got us moving Marner and Nylander before we even know what's going to happen with JVR. If he leaves or is traded, we're going to need both of these players for their offensive gifts. It doesn't matter if Willy is center or wing, Matthews/Kadri 1-2 is quite alright and we can find a 3C.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I'm wondering if a #3C is more important at this point than upgrading D
I think they are equally important.
A 3C for sure.
The D upgrade doesn't need to be OEL level. Find another Hainsey and eventually we promote Dermott/Lily.
Plus another speedy Brown type player with a little more grease. I'd like a Brown/Hyman for each pair.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I don't want to give up Nylander or Marner for OEL. I'd rather target a reliable defenceman in a lower tier that won't cost as much.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
That's a tough call, OEL for Nylander, two very good players at their positions but the Coyotes have said on numerous occasions that they wouldn't move OEL.

Marner could replace Nylander as we saw in the Habs game but breaking up the dynamic duo of Matthews and Nylander is quite a step, however #1 defencemen are at a Premium and OEL is a #1 D, I think I would make that deal.

It would have to be straight up or players and picks coming our way.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
You don't trade a bluechip young NHLer for a two year rental.

OEL of trades will be for picks and prospects.

The best I'd do is similar to what the Avs did with Duchene.

Involve JVR (or Bozak) to a 3rd team then those assets go to Arizona in addition to a bundle from us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'd trade the Leafs next two firsts before I even think of touching one of Nylander/Marner. Thoigh jdeally you'd trade an asset like JVR to bring in a 1st to help mitigate the losses of picks

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
We aren't in a hurry to do anything.
They've already got us moving Marner and Nylander before we even know what's going to happen with JVR. If he leaves or is traded, we're going to need both of these players for their offensive gifts. It doesn't matter if Willy is center or wing, Matthews/Kadri 1-2 is quite alright and we can find a 3C.

I like Nylander as much as anybody but were talking about adding a #1D, the only issue I have with that trade is what that does to our cap situation in a couple of years time

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I like Nylander as much as anybody but were talking about adding a #1D, the only issue I have with that trade is what that does to our cap situation in a couple of years time

If as bob said in his article teams don't view Nylander as a C, then we are adding to Nylander for OEL and that makes it a absolute no go for me.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If as bob said in his article teams don't view Nylander as a C, then we are adding to Nylander for OEL and that makes it a absolute no go for me.

I certainly wouldn't be giving up on Nylander at center, the kids taking draws and drives possession with an improving defensive game

That's pretty centerish

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It seems to be speculation, with information from Arizona indicating that they don't want to move OEL at all, and information from Toronto indicate that they have no intention of moving any of the big three, and are more looking at building a deep defense rather than target a #1 guy. So I don't see this happening.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
It seems to be speculation, with information from Arizona indicating that they don't want to move OEL at all, and information from Toronto indicate that they have no intention of moving any of the big three, and are more looking at building a deep defense rather than target a #1 guy. So I don't see this happening.

Ya bob is generally better than this... a random guy saying... don’t be so sure. Come on bob. U aren’t retired yet. Do your job

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
also. As much as I want to keep the big 3. IF and only if we have decided that willy is a RW. Then...... we could look at trading him for a top pair D.

Marner. Nylander. Kapanen. Brown. Bracco. And the million and 10 wingers that hunter will draft instead of centers this year.

Not sure oel is the fit. Especially without an extension

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Nylander will have to be re-signed this year and OEL is signed this year and the next both are going to come with big cap price tags.
When you see what other teams have have given up for top D, like Taylor Hall (which I think was a mistake), Nylander is a good player but so is OEL.
You have give something, to get something and if it happens it happens but right now, I don't see a straight up trade happening, so I think it's all smoke and no fire and no trade will happen.
I do see the Leafs trading to get a center and perhaps a lesser D than OEL.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I certainly wouldn't be giving up on Nylander at center, the kids taking draws and drives possession with an improving defensive game

That's pretty centerish

I agree kiwi, lets hope babs does too. It then creates a pretty big catch 22 though, if Nylander is a C thenmaybe Arizona would do it straight up but also if he is a C that is some of the best C depth in the league Matthews, Nylander, Kadri, whoever and with bozak leaving he becomes even more important. I just dont see a way to get OEL at a cost that would make sense for us

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
also. As much as I want to keep the big 3. IF and only if we have decided that willy is a RW. Then...... we could look at trading him for a top pair D.

Marner. Nylander. Kapanen. Brown. Bracco. And the million and 10 wingers that hunter will draft instead of centers this year.

Not sure oel is the fit. Especially without an extension

Nylander is and always will be a better RW than everyone there bar Marner (I think they are equal personally) depth does not = quality

Moot point imo I think he will be moved to C

Reactions: Menzinger

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I agree kiwi, lets hope babs does too. It then creates a pretty big catch 22 though, if Nylander is a C thenmaybe Arizona would do it straight up but also if he is a C that is some of the best C depth in the league Matthews, Nylander, Kadri, whoever and with bozak leaving he becomes even more important. I just dont see a way to get OEL at a cost that would make sense for us

Oh yeah he's going to be pricey, it's highly debatable that gutting the team for one guy who needs a big pay rise in a year and a half is a particularly good idea but OEL is one of the few guys that makes a Nylander/Marner trade even remotely interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad