Trade Proposals and Free Agency Thread - 2017 Edition Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Besides this PK talk, if we lose JVR particularly, our #1PP unit is going to have to face a huge revamp internally. No one is going to replace how effective he is in front of the net or in tight. This drop off is already apparent from the #1->#2 PP unit.

On paper, losing JVR on the PP is probably going to be far more pronounced than a 3rd D anchoring the PK. I do think we could use another D besides Rielly in spot duties on the PK though.

Ya thats a good point about the PP but who knows what could happen with that.
I mean Matthews is arguably one of the best 3 goal scorers in the league and he doesnt even play on the first unit.

There isnt only one way to a good PP. I mean in the technical sense you want to have a big shooter from the blueline and we dont have one but we're still a really good PP.

Throw Matthews, Marner and Nylander on the first unit with Rielly and I bet it would ge a great PP.

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Besides this PK talk, if we lose JVR particularly, our #1PP unit is going to have to face a huge revamp internally. No one is going to replace how effective he is in front of the net or in tight. This drop off is already apparent from the #1->#2 PP unit.

On paper, losing JVR on the PP is probably going to be far more pronounced than a 3rd D anchoring the PK. I do think we could use another D besides Rielly in spot duties on the PK though.

Kappy will play PP minutes next season and the drop off appears to be because of the difference between Gardiner and Reilly this season (who is on the JVR unit) so with players like AM34 and WIlly that unit will turn around once Gardiner hits his stride. Yes we need a net front player next year but Marleau is capable of that and id argue Matthews is swell and so could be Leivo or Brown in lesser roles.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Kappy will play PP minutes next season and the drop off appears to be because of the difference between Gardiner and Reilly this season (who is on the JVR unit) so with players like AM34 and WIlly that unit will turn around once Gardiner hits his stride. Yes we need a net front player next year but Marleau is capable of that and id argue Matthews is swell and so could be Leivo or Brown in lesser roles.

We may never replace JVR's net-front presence, just watching teams around the league, there's very few players with his hands up tight- let alone his size. But you find a way to work around it.

As per Marleau, he's objectively looked awful on the PP all year, debatably even worst than Gardiner. Just zero chemistry on that unit. I think he's looked very good at even strength.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Out of curiosity, how come we started a new thread? I know old HF the thing kind of tapped out at 1000 posts so we always started a new one...does new forums have the same limitations?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Out of curiosity, how come we started a new thread? I know old HF the thing kind of tapped out at 1000 posts so we always started a new one...does new forums have the same limitations?
Remember the guy that told everyone he has Mess on ignore a week ago and he couldn't find a sticky thread :laugh:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Remember the guy that told everyone he has Mess on ignore a week ago and he couldn't find a sticky thread :laugh:

Can't wait for Mess to start making GDT's.

Also the Matthews thread is over 1000 posts, we can't have that....

Last edited:

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Bahaha that's the funniest pettiest thing I've seen on HF.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Just reading the Gudbranson 'rumour' from the Free Agency forum. Seems like a lot of Canucks fans would be willing to sell him for cheap... he could be a good project for us.

We have the cap space due to LTIR...
We can probably dump a contract (or two or three)

And we would instantly get a veteran, mobile, big guy that can improve our PK.

Seems like Canucks fans say they'd trade him for a 4th... maybe something like this could get it done

To Vancouver:
Eric Fehr
Kerby Rychel
Rinat Valiev

To Toronto:
Erik Gudbranson

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Borgman-Gudbranson

OR

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Gudbranson
Borgman-Zaitsev

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Just reading the Gudbranson 'rumour' from the Free Agency forum. Seems like a lot of Canucks fans would be willing to sell him for cheap... he could be a good project for us.

Seems like Canucks fans say they'd trade him for a 4th... maybe something like this could get it done

To Vancouver:
Eric Fehr
Kerby Rychel
Rinat Valiev

To Toronto:
Erik Gudbranson

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Borgman-Gudbranson

OR

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Gudbranson
Borgman-Zaitsev
Don't think Matt Martin would approve of that trade. LOL.

On the other side of the coin, reports indicate Bergevin is the busiest GM in the league. I really wish we could Phil Kessel him with JVR for that unprotected 1st. Could you image us winning the lottery with a Habs 1st?
Oh well I can dream.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Don't think Matt Martin would approve of that trade. LOL.

On the other side of the coin, reports indicate Bergevin is the busiest GM in the league. I really wish we could Phil Kessel him with JVR for that unprotected 1st. Could you image us winning the lottery with a Habs 1st?
Oh well I can dream.

If Montreal is panicking I love it. But it would be stupid on their part to do anything other then to go the route of a complete rebuild. The first chip he should trade that would instantly improve the chances of a rebuild would be trading someone like Price. No point in paying a goalie 10 million a season if the team in front of him is garbage.

If Montreal is willing to sell parts I would listen. They have some interesting players that would look good in a Leafs uniform. But not Price, but others.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If Montreal is panicking I love it. But it would be stupid on their part to do anything other then to go the route of a complete rebuild. The first chip he should trade that would instantly improve the chances of a rebuild would be trading someone like Price. No point in paying a goalie 10 million a season if the team in front of him is garbage.

If Montreal is willing to sell parts I would listen. They have some interesting players that would look good in a Leafs uniform. But not Price, but others.
The trouble with Price is he has a full NMC. If Price is comfortable with his life in Montreal, he's not moving.
Galchenyuk will probably be the casualty soon. Which is funny because they need scoring and they need centers and here they both are probably on the trade block.
I would be interested in Galchenyuk for JVR especially if he could then be used for a RHD.

Reactions: carko32

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

To Vancouver:
Eric Fehr
Kerby Rychel
Rinat Valiev

To Toronto:
Erik Gudbranson

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Borgman-Gudbranson

OR

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Gudbranson
Borgman-Zaitsev

I would do this solely to dump the 3 contracts. Gudbranson could also turn out to be serviceable on our 3rd pair. Some sort of rotation of Gudbranson/Carrick/Borgman. Also makes Polak obsolete.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
He's not really an offensive defenseman, so when the team loses 4 of 5 and can't keep the puck out of the net, he's an easy trade target.

He is what he is at this time.

So the question still is, is he worth the hype? And does he really improve our lineup? My answer to both is NO. Which means move on....

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
OEL is now been discussed of possibly being traded. Personally do not see Coyotes trading him but who knows.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
It clearly says:

"The funny thing is, outside of some creative thinking by those who believe OEL to the Leafs makes a lot of common sense for both teams, there doesn’t appear, at this moment anyway, to be any real basis in fact to it."

Bob's just writing about it because OEL is here for the game.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
It clearly says:

"The funny thing is, outside of some creative thinking by those who believe OEL to the Leafs makes a lot of common sense for both teams, there doesn’t appear, at this moment anyway, to be any real basis in fact to it."

Bob's just writing about it because OEL is here for the game.

OEL doesn't even make sense for this team. Gardiner goes the other way for sure, and is the upgrade from Gardiner to OEL for arguably not a long time (if he just leaves UFA wanting a ridiculous amount of money the Leafs can't afford) worth it? OEL is a #1, but we have good enough top 4 defensemen. We just have to count on Gardiner and Zaitsev figuring themselves out.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
OEL doesn't even make sense for this team. Gardiner goes the other way for sure, and is the upgrade from Gardiner to OEL for arguably not a long time (if he just leaves UFA wanting a ridiculous amount of money the Leafs can't afford) worth it? OEL is a #1, but we have good enough top 4 defensemen. We just have to count on Gardiner and Zaitsev figuring themselves out.
If we did land OEL he would sign contract extension and can tell you why. Leafs are up and rising team. Do you think he likes playing for a team that loses. He played what 16 or so playoff games in his career. That was 1 playoff made in 7 seasons. Plus leafs will free up money next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad