Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
If the Kings decide they need to do a rebuild, does anyone think a 30 year old Kopitar on a big contract might become available? That would be an unreal coup for Bergevin.

We should have drafted him in 2005 and I am a big Price fan but I have always wanted the habs to be top 6 strong anchored by center spots one and two but here we are sigh. We will never get Kopitar now especially since he has a NMC attached to his deal.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
We should have drafted him in 2005 and I am a big Price fan but I have always wanted the habs to be top 6 strong anchored by center spots one and two but here we are sigh. We will never get Kopitar now especially since he has a NMC attached to his deal.

That doesn't make it impossible, just a helluva lot less likely. I mean, which player wouldn't want to lose tons of money on a huge contract by coming to Montreal and paying much higher taxes? ;)

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
That doesn't make it impossible, just a helluva lot less likely. I mean, which player wouldn't want to lose tons of money on a huge contract by coming to Montreal and paying much higher taxes? ;)

Taxes are pretty high in California, and this 'issue' is always overblown.

That being said, yes, we need to target a top center. Can't believe we're still sitting on so much money.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home

That being said, yes, we need to target a top center. Can't believe we're still sitting on so much money.

I wonder if MB is sitting and waiting for a certain centre, or is he just screwed, and can't make make a deal

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

I think that will remain pretty much like that until we spend it. Good chance you wake up all week and it's still at the same level as today.

Look more to September and beyond for any possible changes. Oh, BTW, if it's still at the same level at the end of the week, it, in no way, confirmed that it will remain there throughout the year.

As for the taxes thing, yes, it's somewhat overblown, but the higher the contract, the more of a difference it makes in total dollars over the length of the contract, regardless of how you manage to hem in some of the taxes you will need to pay.

No state charges as much taxes as the province of Quebec. My brother lives in the States (and lived in Southern, Northern, Eastern and Western states throughout his stay there) and once you start making serious bucks, the taxes are laughable compared to here. In California, I'll agree, even though Arnold (a Republican) was in charge for a while, the tax difference between us and them is lower than in some other states.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
[/B]

I think that will remain pretty much like that until we spend it. Good chance you wake up all week and it's still at the same level as today.

Look more to September and beyond for any possible changes. Oh, BTW, if it's still at the same level at the end of the week, it, in no way, confirmed that it will remain there throughout the year.

As for the taxes thing, yes, it's somewhat overblown, but the higher the contract, the more of a difference it makes in total dollars over the length of the contract, regardless of how you manage to hem in some of the taxes you will need to pay.

No state charges as much taxes as the province of Quebec. My brother lives in the States (and lived in Southern, Northern, Eastern and Western states throughout his stay there) and once you start making serious bucks, the taxes are laughable compared to here. In California, I'll agree, even though Arnold (a Republican) was in charge for a while, the tax difference between us and them is lower than in some other states.

Players get taxed depending on where the actual work is done. Half of it is at home, the other half is on the road and basically the same for everyone.

Whatever you think the difference in taxation is, cut it by half. It's really not much of a factor. Fringe/young players want a chance at making the lineup more than a 2 or 3% difference in taxation on a 2 years contract at 1M per. Star players get paid so much that they can care about winning before caring about their financial situation.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
When these guys are getting swindled out of Millions and winding up broke after getting huge contracts I think players don't even realize how much taxes they have to pay wherever they are. Heck some of them don't even pay taxes or owe tons in back taxes.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Players get taxed depending on where the actual work is done. Half of it is at home, the other half is on the road and basically the same for everyone.

Whatever you think the difference in taxation is, cut it by half. It's really not much of a factor. Fringe/young players want a chance at making the lineup more than a 2 or 3% difference in taxation on a 2 years contract at 1M per. Star players get paid so much that they can care about winning before caring about their financial situation.

I agree with you that it should be as you say, but I can't speak for all players as some are friggin' greedier than you can imagine and she are happier raking in the big bucks in a market with less pressure on them than they would be winning the Cup in a press cooker environment.

I just don't have the names of those who prefer winning above all else and those that might not give as much of a crap about it as long as they live a relatively anonymous life while making Millions.

I was tongue in cheek in my initial comment, BTW. Generally speaking, the taxation difference, for some citisome, is even less than we think it might be. Still, it's easier to discount that impact when it's not our money :)

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
No they dont. They can trade him or somebody else during next season all the way to the deadline.

And there are more than a few teams with 8 mil + cap space. 12 teams to be precise. Almost half the league. Mtl wont get him at a discount because they are 1 out of 12 teams with 8 mil cap space.

And what if the guy they take back in the deal makes 4 mil? The team that gets him only needs 2 mil of cap space.

For 18-19 year, Edm has 14 mil space with CMc and RNH. Mtl has 17 mil with Price and without Plekanec.

They can't trade him next season as they likely won't have the space to keep him beyond this season. They have $61,000,000 tied up in 13 players leaving $14,000,000 to sign, as you stated. What you neglected to mention was that they'll need to sign TEN more players to fill out the roster. Try doing that with $14,000,000 bucks. They NEED to trade RNH before the start of next season as payying $6M for a 3rd line centre makes no sense at all when you're carrying McJesus and Drai as your top two centres. RNH will be traded.

Just because a team has cap space doesn't mean they're interested in trading for RNH. That pool of teams is much smaller. He's not a player you're going to build around but rather a supporting player to a team who wants to make a run. Not many of these teams have $6M lying around and no, Edmonton likely won't be taking back any significant salary unless it's for another player they need and don't have yet which is still more unlikely considering their current cap predicament. Not saying it's not possible, just not as probably as trading him for young cheap talent or picks.

I hope we take a pause this year, trade Pleks at the deadline and go after someone like RNH in the off season - with Gallagher + going the other way. Maybe a 1st is wishful thinking for Pleks but at the very least there are a handful of teams with a 4/5/6 D prospects who are NHL ready we could hopefully acquire.

I think that no matter where we are in the standings, if we can trade Plex for literall anything, we need to do it. Better to get somethin for him than let him walk for nothing. Granted, is he's back to his old form and on pace for 40+ points then that's another discussion. I guess we'll see how it plays out during the season and if a guy like McCarron, DLR, Hudon Holland etc can take the next step and take that spot.

Realistically it gives between 3 and 5 millions in cap cause you must replace Plekanec.

Depending on who replaces him but yeah. That $3-5M can go a long way in reallocating to positions where we need help. That's about how much a high quality LD would cost of a solid #2 centre.

I saw both and clearly understand how expiring contracts work ... and maybe you didn't understand the part where Edmonton is not going to throw away this year by trading RNH for a burnt out Plekanec. A pick doesn't help them, you'd have to add a low salary good player.
Who says they're going to "throw away" year by getting Plex to play the 3rd line? He's one of the best defensive centres in the NHL on a team that needs to be better defensively. He's a better fit for that role than RNH is.

If you want RNH at the start of the year you'd have to offer a low cost value player like Lehkonen, one they can use, if you want the trade to take place, else Edmonton won't bite. If you offer both Plekanec and Lehkonen then maybe, much less or garbage fillers then no.

I don't know what they'd want but it seems that young cheap talent is what they need. You wouldn't trade Lehks for RNH? I would and I love Lehkonen but you can't expect to get a no.1 and not give something of value.

Since I don't see that happening, the Habs won't offer Lehkonen, I don't see a trade taking place at the start of the year. If Edmonton falters and won't be making the playoffs, then maybe Plekanec at the trade deadline when this season is virtually over, if they can't get better elsewhere.

That's your opinion but 5 years of desperation will make people do crazy things sometimes.

Still, as an added point, trading Plekanecs for RNH at the trade deadline is not necessarily a good idea for the Habs either. They need that Plekanec salary to cover Price's contract. If they did trade and add RNH at $6M, it would leave the Habs only $11M to sign seven players in 2018-19. It would put Montreal into the same scenario that Edmonton has for 2018-19.

But now we'd have a no. 1 centre, hopefully a no. 2 centre a top D and a world class goalie. I think we'd be in a good spot with young cheap talent coming up like Hudon, Scherbak, Juulsen etc. Not nearly as ominous as you're making it out to be. Habs will always be a cap team and like any contender, they'll have to figure out ways to deal with it.

It's just for one year and then we use our cap space to go after Tavares next off season or target someone else. Elder for 2 years buys us time for Mete to get NHL ready (hope he turns out to be a PMD for us).

If it don't cost that much, then awesome! But you are getting 3 major pieces from the Canucks and they will want a decent return IMO.

I'd have no problem trading for them, I just wouldn't trade the farm (literally) to get them. They're old, only come as a pair and eat up $14M in cap. We'd be doing Vancouver a HUGE favour to take them off their hands as there's no one else who'd even consider taking them at this point. Other than a cap dump and some lower tier prospects and picks, Vancouver can't expect much more for them than that IMO.

Jul 6, 2016
With Zajac gone for 6 months, NJ might be interested to take Plekanec off our hands ?

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005

Of course, it would have been marvelous if they had picked up both Price and Kopitar in the same draft, but you can't name a single outstanding goaltender the Habs drafted or acquired after Price. For example, Halak turned out to be a flavor of the month.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Of course, it would have been marvelous if they had picked up both Price and Kopitar in the same draft, but you can't name a single outstanding goaltender the Habs drafted or acquired after Price. For example, Halak turned out to be a flavor of the month.

A top C will help you win in the playoffs more than a top G. Imagine we had Kopitar when Halak got hot and we made the ECF run. Might have been enough to push the team to a cup final. An above average to good goalie is a lot easier to land and their is a small difference between them and the elite goalies. Kopi vs Pleks is a huge difference, but Bishop or Crawford vs Price not that much.

Anyways my dream scenario is that we drafted Kopi and Giroux. With those 2 down the middle habs probably have a cup. Not to mention no Gomez trade either.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
[/B]

As a STATE. Federal taxes in the US are much higher. The baseline is 38-39% which is almost double the Cnd fed tax. States like NY, Penn and Cali, players will pay close to 50-55% in total taxes (state + fed) which amounts to about the same thing as in Qc and Ontario.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
As a STATE. Federal taxes in the US are much higher. The baseline is 38-39% which is almost double the Cnd fed tax. States like NY, Penn and Cali, players will pay close to 50-55% in total taxes (state + fed) which amounts to about the same thing as in Qc and Ontario.

Indeed. People like to point to Quebec but often disregard the Ontario surtax for the wealthy, i.e. hockey players (a tax on tax). Ontario is not far off from Quebec, there's no real discernable difference in taxes between the two.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Indeed. People like to point to Quebec but often disregard the Ontario surtax for the wealthy, i.e. hockey players (a tax on tax). Ontario is not far off from Quebec, there's no real discernable difference in taxes between the two.

There's not much difference between NY and Mtl too.

According to this site for a 10 000 000 salary there's a difference of 144 124$ between NY and Mtl. NYY and Rangers both have no trouble signing UFA players. The difference between Mtl and Toronto for a 10 000 000 salary is 11 648$.

I don't think the taxes play as big of a role as some people say.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
There's not much difference between NY and Mtl too.

According to this site for a 10 000 000 salary there's a difference of 144 124$ between NY and Mtl. NYY and Rangers both have no trouble signing UFA players. The difference between Mtl and Toronto for a 10 000 000 salary is 11 648$.

I don't think the taxes play as big of a role as some people say.

That's not counting cost of living either and the value of the dollar. So in reality, as of today with the USD worth around $1.20 of CDN, you'd make more being an NHL player in Montreal than in NY.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

I am not comparing Price to Kopitar I am just saying what my preferential style of hockey team looks like. It is all about top 6 for me, give me a big one and two and I am a fan, (Pittsburgh, Edmonton and Toronto coming) I just like that type of team. Pay your top dollars to top talent and fill in the holes with league minimums and journeymen looking to win a cup regardless of money. I think we are doing it backwards since our last cup win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad