Speculation: Trade Proposal Thread v6

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
A few years ago, I think it was the 2011 trade deadline, Tomas Kaberle garnered a 1st rounder, 2nd rounder, and then decent former first round prospect Joe Colbourne.

As a comparison, would you trade Markov to Pittsburgh for Simon Depres, a 1st rounder, and a 2nd rounder?

The idea is appealing to me but, I'm not sure I would trade Markov for a a package centered around a defensive prospect. We already have Beaulieu, Tinordi and to some extent Pateryn knocking at the door of the big club. There's only so much space for young guys on the blue line. Also, Despres is left-handed and we already have a clutter of left-handed defensemen. I would try to get a forward prospect with size to go along with a high pick. Markov does have a good value as a mentor for our young blue line though and has a lot of experience when dealing with the Montreal media which could also be useful for our young guys (although Subban and Gorges have them covered too on that aspect).

Isn't Markov what Pittsburgh needs?

Pittsburgh is at the top of the league in term of PP%. They don't really need a guy like Markov. They might be interested, but I doubt they would overpay to get him.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I don't find MacKinnon has great IQ, compared to guys like Toews Drouin Crosby etc who are excelptionnal. To me his strengths are skating and hands. He's a more gritty version of Kessel, not a guy that will play center and turn a 20 goal scorer into a 30 goal scorer...

Well, either you haven't seen enough of them play, or you don't quite know what you're looking for. That's all I can say. MacKinnon's reads and anticipation happen steps ahead of Drouin, for example, and that's readily apparent to any experience eye who got to watch them both regularly.

Drouin might "see" more when he looks, but has to look to get those reads and judge his positioning. MacKinnon will end up in the right places at the right time more often, and seemingly without looking and analyzing as much. And he's much better (already/at this point) at realizing when he's in danger of trying to do too much, and switching gears to good execution of a simpler/"smarter" play instead. Basically it boils down to instinctual hockey smarts vs analytical hockey smarts, and I don't think there's any doubt that MacKinnon is the more "naturally gifted" of the two. If you watch enough Avs hockey, you'll have heard multiple times (like we Mooseheads ticket holders have) through the broadcast's live sound where he's yelling or banging his stick for a puck before it's even on the stick of the guy who he anticipates getting a pass from next. Literally a step ahead of most in that regard - even at the NHL level, already.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
I can't help but think that if that were true, i.e. he really has that Lemieux/Gretzky one step ahead of every one thinking, MacKinnon would've been more dominant in juniors with all his other exceptional tools (skating, stickhandling, shot, etc).

NateTheGr8

Aug 17, 2012
Canada
Stewart would be perfect for the team. I know his work ethic is questioned on the ice, but he scores in bunches like Paccioretty and then we will have guys like Gallagher and Pleks who seem to bring it every night, he'd be a pleasure to have in our top 6

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I can't help but think that if that were true, i.e. he really has that Lemieux/Gretzky one step ahead of every one thinking, MacKinnon would've been more dominant in juniors with all his other exceptional tools (skating, stickhandling, shot, etc).

Well, some people are free to judge by points, or whatever kind of stats they feel most comfortable with, but I don't think anyone watching him out here has described him as anything but; pretty much from day 1. Everyone grows, learns, adjusts, etc, but all I can tell you is that particular feature is something that he has exhibited since I've been able to watch him regularly.

Drouin, to me, has a quicker, more accurate eye, but it's subject to a bit of tunnel vision. It means he's able to creatively work his way from obstacle to obstacle, and has the skills to elude people, but he always leaves me with the feeling that he spends a lot of extra energy improvising from step to step. I think that's why we heard scouting from training camp about TB not being impressed with the amount he seemed to be trying to beat people from a stand-still; taking the time to be extra careful as he read, reacted, executed. MacKinnon is almost never at a stand-still, and yet he most often seems to be in the right position - at either end of the ice - just "feeling" the space around him and constantly moving through it.

How MacKinnon gets around the ice benefits him more than Drouin's ability to see and interpret the ice benefits him, imo, and that will be a defining difference between what kind of niche they end up carving out for themselves at the NHL level. That, and MacKinnon's shot, of course, which Drouin will likely never be able to touch in terms of release or reliability.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Stewart would be perfect for the team. I know his work ethic is questioned on the ice, but he scores in bunches like Paccioretty and then we will have guys like Gallagher and Pleks who seem to bring it every night, he'd be a pleasure to have in our top 6

Wouldn't they want a Gallagher or a Plekanecs going back the other way? I'm certainly not interested in using up a 1st round pick or a top prospect on him.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
A few years ago, I think it was the 2011 trade deadline, Tomas Kaberle garnered a 1st rounder, 2nd rounder, and then decent former first round prospect Joe Colbourne.

As a comparison, would you trade Markov to Pittsburgh for Simon Depres, a 1st rounder, and a 2nd rounder?

Not to a team like Pittsburgh because their 1st is like a 2nd. So unless they ponies up some better prospects, I wouldn't make that deal. Not to mention their on our conference.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

We already have a guy like that whose last name is Bourque, no need for another one. Stewart has been overrated a little too much to my taste.

poytri

Dec 24, 2013
Mtl
Not to a team like Pittsburgh because their 1st is like a 2nd. So unless they ponies up some better prospects, I wouldn't make that deal. Not to mention their on our conference.

Well who's gonna want Markov at the deadline, bottom dwellers or contenders? Of course it's gonna be contenders. A first is still a first and there will be plenty of interesting players in the late first round such as Bleackley, Goldobin, Karlsson, Fiala.

And who knows, maybe Pittsburgh will get knocked out in the first round and sit at 24-25.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
I don't want Stewart on the team, not long term at least. I feel he's way overrated. The guy is incredibly streaky. However, if it were Bourque (+ minor asset) for Stewart, I wouldn't mind much mainly because Stewart's better and has shorter contract.

ericd

Feb 20, 2007
P.K. Subban for Gabriel Landeskog
Daniel Brière and Doug Murray for Mathieu Perreault
Raphael Diaz for Tom Gilbert

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher
Landeskog - Plekanec - Eller
Bourque - Perreault - Gionta
Moen - Prust - Thomas

Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Beaulieu
Pateryn - Gilbert

poytri

Dec 24, 2013
Mtl

Moen - Prust - Thomas

Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Beaulieu
Pateryn - Gilbert

allofmywhat.jpeg

kassian

Sep 27, 2010
Montreal

Moen - Prust - Thomas

Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Beaulieu
Pateryn - Gilbert

Montreal would have to add some more in that first trade tho. ...

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Lebrun reports the Nucks want to get younger.

Would Burrows be a good fit on this team?

32yo 0 goals so far this year in 24 games. 4 assist and -9. 3 more years on his deal at 4.5M...kinda scary.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City

32yo 0 goals so far this year in 24 games. 4 assist and -9. 3 more years on his deal at 4.5M...kinda scary.

Burrows, Booth and Hansen are interesting forwards. Also, guys like Bieksa, Edler and Hamhuis could be what the Habs needs.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Burrows, Booth and Hansen are interesting forwards. Also, guys like Bieksa, Edler and Hamhuis could be what the Habs needs.

Hansen and Bieksa would be awesome on the team, both RH shots, Hansen would add much needed size and intensity on the RW, put him on a line with Eller and watch them shut opposing lines, and Bieksa is 32, but would add that much needed grit within a RHD format, could be costly though...

Last edited:

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We may very well be a playoff team but we're not winning the cup. A few years ago we traded Rivet at the deadline (while in a playoff race) for a great return (1st + prospect) which turned into Pacioretty + Gorges.

We should be sellers.

Embrace it.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I don't find MacKinnon has great IQ, compared to guys like Toews Drouin Crosby etc who are excelptionnal. To me his strengths are skating and hands. He's a more gritty version of Kessel, not a guy that will play center and turn a 20 goal scorer into a 30 goal scorer...

Agreed, that makes NO sense.

what the hell Drouin is doing in that list ??

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Trade the following for picks and prospects: gionta, briere, bourque, markov, boullion, budaj, leblanc, etc. then get a high draft ranking, graduate pateryn and tinordi, and make this our rebuild year! Giv'r!

bsl

Oct 9, 2009

Why should Habs get older while Nucks get younger? You must realize that Habs are crap because they are too old, no?

Its becoming so obvious you have to be an idiot not to see it. I cant believe how long the media 'experts' in Mtl are taking to realize this.It is not about size. Age is Habs problem.

Habs are way too old. No thanks to average 32 year olds.

Terrible idea.:shakehead

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Why should Habs get older while Nucks get younger? You must realize that Habs are crap because they are too old, no?

Its becoming so obvious you have to be an idiot not to see it. I cant believe how long the media 'experts' in Mtl are taking to realize this.It is not about size. Age is Habs problem.

Habs are way too old. No thanks to average 32 year olds.

Terrible idea.:shakehead

Price, Subban, Beaulieu, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller, Patches, Bournival beg to differ...

and here's the age (average) for these teams

Boston : 27.89 years old
Anaheim : 28.00 yo
Chicago : 28.18
Montreal : 28.24
San Jose : 28.27
Pittsburgh : 28.60

Last edited:

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
Reading some of these posts, I don't know whether to cry or throw up!

1. Bergevin NEEDS to sign PK now; he's not going anywhere unless you're getting a Duschene, McKinnon type player and MORE! He's a top 5 Dman in this league for the next decade barring injury. We haven't had a player like that since Chelios!

2. I would trade Markov for the right price, a 2nd round pick in the 2015 draft and a physical forward with even a consistent 15 goal 25 points track record. We are not getting any offense from our third and fourth lines this year. I'd even trade Markov for a top tier prospect plus a 1st pick. I'm not sure the market will bear that out though.

3. I would NOT trade Pleky for anything more than a massive overpayment and teams like Chicago are looking and have good prospects. He's just so valuable to us on specialty teams which is the Only way we win.

4. My HOPE is that we add by subtraction and move a few players like Gionta, Bourque, Briere, DD, Boullion, Moen, Diaz at the trade deadline. Obviously not all of them will go but even if a majority of them are gone, I really dont see a huge drop off if you give there time to guys like Bournival, Thomas, Pateryn and a few of the kids. increase Galchenyuk's ice time as well and let him player center!

While we've played two solid games since the slide, we still don't have the talent or depth to be a true contender and while Bergervin is preaching patience, let's get the process started now and get what you can for players that are clearly not part of the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad