Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread - The real deadline edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Absolutely agree.............if you want to bring him back in the summer, for 1-2M on a 1-2 yr deal so be it..........but they have to get a pick for him!!

Or, MB being MB, trade him but resign him in the summer for two years at $4.5m with a full NMC. Then for Danault, who is a RFA can be resigned at $25m over five years with a limited NTC also.

Then he can tell everyone their center depth is as strong as it always has.

And the pick (say a second) we got for Plek, we can trade with our other seconds and get Domi who is a RFA and pay him $20m with a NTC also...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
They had Pastrnak in the system already and had a better group of veterans. Montreal doesn't have a Krejci or Bergeron.

Lets use some foresight then. How precisely will Montreal get a high end #1C, #2C and a #2D without getting rid of their top veterans the way Boston did?
It doesn't have to follow the EXACT blueprint of the Bruins.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
They had Pastrnak in the system already and had a better group of veterans. Montreal doesn't have a Krejci or Bergeron.

Lets use some foresight then. How precisely will Montreal get a high end #1C, #2C and a #2D without getting rid of their top veterans the way Boston did?
Its not happening...unless a miracle

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
It doesn't have to follow the EXACT blueprint of the Bruins.

Well good, because it can't. But in suggesting a replication of Bruins-type rebuild seems to like you want to keep most of your core and just getting exactly what you need to fill out that core in the draft. Which seems unlikely when most #1C guys get drafted in lottery positions.

Reactions: sampollock

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Well good, because it can't. But in suggesting a replication of Bruins-type rebuild seems to like you want to keep most of your core and just getting exactly what you need to fill out that core in the draft. Which seems unlikely when most #1C guys get drafted in lottery positions.
No what I want to use from the Bruins approach is how they accumulated draft picks AND (just as important) made the picks they did make, count.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
If Molson is willing to retain 1mil on Shaw at 2.9mil is good for Winnipeg.

The thing is, I would rather bring Plekanec back for 1 year, then sign Backlund to a 6 years/35+mil contract. 36 years old Tomas Plekanec is better for the tank than Backlund.

Backlund is UFA this summer. Assuming the Flames don't re-sign him we'd have to act this off-season.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Even with Price, Subban, Pacioretty in their prime and add Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Markov, Plekanec, Eller we weren't close to the cup. Our situation is even worst now.

We are 26th overall and our AHL team is 27th.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
No what I want to use from the Bruins approach is how they accumulated draft picks AND (just as important) made the picks they did make, count.

So do what every team that misses the play-offs ever tries to do and then draft well? I don't think that's an uncommon approach.

Boston got a bunch of picks, whiffed on a bunch of them, but got guys that fixed their holes on D and in their depth scoring. I don't see the same path for Montreal to fix their holes.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Even with Price, Subban, Pacioretty in their prime and add Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Markov, Plekanec, Eller we weren't close to the cup. Our situation is even worst now.

We are 26th overall and our AHL team is 27th.
actually we were, one price injury for playing for the cup, that in my book is being close to the cup.... Now the buffon has destroyed that

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
So do what every team that misses the play-offs ever tries to do and then draft well? I don't think that's an uncommon approach.

Not every team that misses the playoffs tries to do that though. The Habs certainly haven't the years they missed the playoffs.

Boston got a bunch of picks, whiffed on a bunch of them, but got guys that fixed their holes on D and in their depth scoring. I don't see the same path for Montreal to fix their holes.

That's correct, and they mitigated missing on picks by acquiring additional picks.

Again, I'm not saying to follow to the letter what Boston did, I'm not even the one who brought up Boston originally...

The point is not necessarily to mirror what Boston did...but realize that things can turn around quickly

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Not every team that misses the playoffs tries to do that though. The Habs certainly haven't the years they missed the playoffs.

That's correct, and they mitigated missing on picks by acquiring additional picks.

Again, I'm not saying to follow to the letter what Boston did, I'm not even the one who brought up Boston originally...

The point is not necessarily to mirror what Boston did...but realize that things can turn around quickly

The last time the Canadiens missed they acquired an extra 2nd round pick. The previous time they acquired 3 2nd round picks.

When the Bruins missed the playoffs in 2014-2015 they first acquired to 2nds for Boychuk since they were cap-crunched. They then paid two 2nds for Brett Connolly. After the season ended they traded Dougie Hamilton, a good young D-man for a 1st and two 2nds, then turned Lucic into C. Miller and two 1sts.

Things can definitely turn around quickly, I just think that Boston is a very optimistic comparable.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The last time the Canadiens missed they acquired an extra 2nd round pick. The previous time they acquired 3 2nd round picks.

When the Bruins missed the playoffs in 2014-2015 they first acquired to 2nds for Boychuk since they were cap-crunched. They then paid two 2nds for Brett Connolly. After the season ended they traded Dougie Hamilton, a good young D-man for a 1st and two 2nds, then turned Lucic into C. Miller and two 1sts.

Things can definitely turn around quickly, I just think that Boston is a very optimistic comparable.
The Habs can move Pacioretty and recoup quite the package...that's something i don't think Bergevin has the foresight to do though.

Plekanec is a guy they have to move...I'm not as convinced as everyone his return could be as high as a 1st or 2nd, but if you can get yhat, you move him.

The Habs already have 3 2nd round picks...they could easily walk away from this draft with another 2 2nd round picks.

Now you've got a ton of draft capital, you can draft players, move up/down in the draft, trade picks for established players, trade picks for future draft.

Yes it's going to take some creativity, luck and some courage...

But it doesn't have to be a 5yr+ process

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
The Habs can move Pacioretty and recoup quite the package...that's something i don't think Bergevin has the foresight to do though.

Plekanec is a guy they have to move...I'm not as convinced as everyone his return could be as high as a 1st or 2nd, but if you can get yhat, you move him.

The Habs already have 3 2nd round picks...they could easily walk away from this draft with another 2 2nd round picks.

Now you've got a ton of draft capital, you can draft players, move up/down in the draft, trade picks for established players, trade picks for future draft.

Yes it's going to take some creativity, luck and some courage...

But it doesn't have to be a 5yr+ process

Pacioretty is Montreal's most important forward. A lot of people don't quite realise just how many little things he does on the ice to help this team, but I suspect more will when he's gone. Losing him is a HUGE hole in the line-up. The Habs probably have to trade him, but that doesn't mean it won't hurt. Even with a big pick haul, Montreal needs to find two top-6 C, probably a couple of top-6 W, at least 1 (probably more if you're managing the team dispassionately) top-pair caliber D-men.

You HAVE to not put a tail end on a task that monumental. It could take a couple of years. It will probably take much more to even get most of the needed pieces. Even if you're smart, creative and reasonably lucky.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
1- Pacioretty
2- Drouin
3- Galchenyuk
4- Gallagher
5- Lehkonen
6- Shaw
7- Byron
8- Scherback
9- Hudon

That's 9 wingers who should be playing top 9 minutes next year in a "perfect world".
There's only 6 spots on the top 9.

Playing any of them on the fourth line would be a waste of skill and would only hurt their developement/production/value. At this point the organisation MUST identify those 6 wingers and move 3 of them for anthing they can get to help at center or for a LHD.

I wouldn't hesitate one bit to package Pacioretty with Byron if the return is exactly what the Habs are looking for.
Can't keep them all....

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
They still had a solid core to rebuild around. We dont!
I dont see us turning this team around in just 2 off seasons.

A competent GM could. You have 4 top 50 picks as it stands. Possibly 2 first rounders. Might get as many as 8 in the top 100. That's a farm team, for depth, in 2 seasons. Pacioretty brings more assets. Drafted players Juulsen, Poehling, have futures on the team. Players like Ikonen, Bitten, Addison, Brook, and Evans are some degree of depth going forward.

Drouin, Galchenyuk, Sherbak are under 23, not even in their prime yet. Lehkonen, Hudon are in there too.

But the top end talent is thin. Price and Weber as cornerstones more or less facilitate a defensive oriented team. You can't get pigeon holed though. Boston and Tampa are good defensive teams, that can score. They have both retooled their teams through the draft around their core players.

The biggest problem is management. There are so many holes that players are rushed, developed improperly to go from a junior to a pro level, and played out of position too often.

I think if Julien Brisebois was the GM, going into the draft, he would get the necessary pieces to build a successful franchise, and not move laterally or wrecklessly. Guy Boucher would probably be the head coach, in 2 seasons. Maybe Price gets traded to the Seattle Thunderbirds by then.

Last edited:

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
The team that has the most incentive to trade for Pacioretty is San Jose his parents grew up in the bay area and his Grandmother and many family members all live there,they could probably get him signed long term...Sharks #1 prospect is speedy center Josh Norris they have other centers as well like Dylan Gambrell having a great year at University of Denver and Scott Reedy and QMJHL d-man Jeremy Roy.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home

bang on,

that is why maxy is the key to the future, MB screws this up, we are back to the stone ages,

Yanks did it, built their farm , by trading some vets at the right time, now look at the yanks farm,

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

I'm purely taking a Wild Guess here, I'm assuming Bergevin will trade for one center. Cody Glass or Gabe Vilardi, then try to draft another one this season or next. How am I doing, "Close but No Cigar"? Possibly a center will fly in on a UFO, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that happening.:huh::laugh::naughty:

Reactions: Pacciosoftie

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I'm purely taking a Wild Guess here, I'm assuming Bergevin will trade for one center. Cody Glass or Gabe Vilardi, then try to draft another one this season or next. How am I doing, "Close but No Cigar"? Possibly a center will fly in on a UFO, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that happening.:huh::laugh::naughty:

Read a thing today stating that there's no way LA trades Vilardi and it made sense. It would mean they've traded their last 3 1st round picks, and they're pretty light on prospects. It wouldn't make sense, especially when it's not a trade that would put them over the edge.

Cody Glass, no chance. VGK are not going to trade prospects just because they're winning whent hey weren't meant to. They're building for the future.

Personally I think Thomas is the most logical target.

Reactions: sampollock

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Or, MB being MB, trade him but resign him in the summer for two years at $4.5m with a full NMC. Then for Danault, who is a RFA can be resigned at $25m over five years with a limited NTC also.

Then he can tell everyone their center depth is as strong as it always has.

And the pick (say a second) we got for Plek, we can trade with our other seconds and get Domi who is a RFA and pay him $20m with a NTC also...
This makes absolutely no sense, it won't happen and the humour was poorly executed........like why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad