Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
So you expect to get top 4 dman and top 6 center in one trade?

Problem as I was made aware in part 6 of this thread, is that Dougie Hamilton is RH. So he falls to third pair on this roster. If your going to trade for a RH dman in the 5-6M range I'd prefer Trouba.

But habs need another piece in the top 6. They are one injury to a top six from being less than average up front.

Imagine if Galchenyuk goes down for 4-8 weeks with an injury? Pleks and Desharnais as top 6 center. We have seen how that story ends.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I really don't think Plekanec is the problem.

I would trade him for the right return, but I don't think he is a horrible 2C for now.

He's not a problem, nor is he a solution per say. He fills an important role on the team, and he can go head to head against the best players in the world and will reliably shut them down.

He was snake bit earlier in the season, when he played with Radulov. He had a few scoring chances and he couldn't convert on them. Yesterday, his scoring chance from the slot should have been a goal. But the confidence likely isn't there right now.

Thing is, where you can expect Galchenyuk, Danault and Mitchell to slow down eventually (Mitchell has already been a lot quieter ever since Danault got promoted), you can also expect Plekanec to pick up the pace eventually. He's still a safe bet for a 40-50 points season, especially if he gets some consistent PP minutes.

Is that ideal from your 2C? Ideally, you'd want him to generate more offense, not only for himself, but for his linemates. That's been one of Plekanec's biggest weakness throughout his career. He has a hard time making his linemates better, creating offense for someone else. He cannot be the catalyst of his own line. That's why he was great with Kovalev and meshed well with a Pacioretty at the top of his game. That's why I wanted him with Radulov to start the year, although this boat has sailed considering the chemistry between Galchenyuk and Radulov.

If Pacioretty doesn't work well with Danault at some point down the line, I think you have to give another shot to the Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher line.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
He's not a problem, nor is he a solution per say. He fills an important role on the team, and he can go head to head against the best players in the world and will reliably shut them down.

He was snake bit earlier in the season, when he played with Radulov. He had a few scoring chances and he couldn't convert on them. Yesterday, his scoring chance from the slot should have been a goal. But the confidence likely isn't there right now.

Thing is, where you can expect Galchenyuk, Danault and Mitchell to slow down eventually (Mitchell has already been a lot quieter ever since Danault got promoted), you can also expect Plekanec to pick up the pace eventually. He's still a safe bet for a 40-50 points season, especially if he gets some consistent PP minutes.

Is that ideal from your 2C? Ideally, you'd want him to generate more offense, not only for himself, but for his linemates. That's been one of Plekanec's biggest weakness throughout his career. He has a hard time making his linemates better, creating offense for someone else. He cannot be the catalyst of his own line. That's why he was great with Kovalev and meshed well with a Pacioretty at the top of his game. That's why I wanted him with Radulov to start the year, although this boat has sailed considering the chemistry between Galchenyuk and Radulov.

If Pacioretty doesn't work well with Danault at some point down the line, I think you have to give another shot to the Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher line.

lol no

Jul 6, 2016

They better find their games (as individuals and as a line) soon !

How come this team cannot get good offensive numbers from its two first lines on a regular basis. There is always one that is out of gas or have a flat tire on the side of the road.

Danault and Mitchell are fine bottom line centres, Nothing more.

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015
I love how Scherbak is performing right now in the AHL, but if we can get a legit 2C then it's a no brainer. I would really try pushing for RNH, since he's becoming more of a two-way player and would be able to split the defensive assignments with Danault (assuming Plekanec is going the other way). Something like Plekanec + Juulsen would probably be something they would take (since they need Ds).

If we can't get a C, then I wouldn't mind if MB goes for a LW to play with Chucky and Radulov.

1LW - Chucky - Radulov
Lehkonen - Plekanec - Gallagher
Pacioretty - Danault - Shaw
Byron - Mitchell - Flynn/Terry

We'd have 3 good lines that can score and 1 really good 4th line. Seeing that Saad is available, I think that would be a really good pickup by MB and would fit in the 'Chicago of the East' bill as well. A line of Saad - Danault - Shaw would be hilarious. Not sure what the Jackets would want in return. Something around Scherbak + 1st maybe?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I really don't think Plekanec is the problem.

I would trade him for the right return, but I don't think he is a horrible 2C for now.

(looks at stats sheet)

Tomas Plekanec

1 goal 4 assists - 5pts in 17gp

On pace for

5 goals 19 assists - 24pts

TOI 17:09

Yeah....you're right, he's doing just fine :sarcasm:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Pleks plays against the top players but statistically, some of those numbers are troubling. Just going by optics, there have been games where he has blown some golden opportunities. Problem is, his numbers aren't impressive for a 2C and his cap hit isn't going to make him attractive unless he's packaged with a nice prospect, depending what we are offered or want in return.

He'll likely finish the year with us and barring some epic playoff run, I can see the team leaving him exposed for expansion and likely not be picked up.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Players that would be a decent acquisitions would be C. Wilson or Backlund in CGY. I don't know the price they'd cost but I think they would soften the blow of Plekanec being a shell of himself offensively.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Pleks plays against the top players but statistically, some of those numbers are troubling. Just going by optics, there have been games where he has blown some golden opportunities. Problem is, his numbers aren't impressive for a 2C and his cap hit isn't going to make him attractive unless he's packaged with a nice prospect, depending what we are offered or want in return.

He'll likely finish the year with us and barring some epic playoff run, I can see the team leaving him exposed for expansion and likely not be picked up.

I think he'll definitely be exposed but I do think he'll be taken. It's a no brainer for the GM. You're getting a veteran who has always conducted himself with class off the ice (big thing in Vegas) and who has captained his country on many occasions. It's a one year cap hit that you can walk away from later or re-sign at a lower level after. He's still a top notch shutdown player and someone who quietly leads by example.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
I posted this in the Desharnais thread:

Also my guess with regards to Plekanec is that the Habs won't protect him for the expansion draft and he'll be in Las Vegas, which would free up almost 10 million between his and Desharnais' contracts. Assuming that Danault is your third line centerman going forward from there, that gives you a great deal of flexibility in acquiring a top centre and winger. If you could move Emelin, re-sign Markov at a lower cap hit on a yearly basis you'd have that much more cap space. I'm assuming Radulov will be re-signed as well.

Maybe try signing Thornton and Marleau to one year deals at a slight discount? Say 6 million per each?

Marleau - Thornton - Gallagher
Carr - Galchenyuk - Radulov
Byron - Mitchell - Flynn

Sergachev - Weber
Markov - Petry
Beaulieu - Pateryn

Price
Montoya

Maybe a little crazy but not impossible.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
DD + McCarron for Martin Hanzal
Emelin + 1st for Marco Scandella

Byron-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Pacioretty-Hanzal-Gallagher
Danault-Plekanec-Shaw

Scandella-Weber
Markov-Petry
Beaulieu-Pateryn

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I posted this in the Desharnais thread:

Also my guess with regards to Plekanec is that the Habs won't protect him for the expansion draft and he'll be in Las Vegas, which would free up almost 10 million between his and Desharnais' contracts. Assuming that Danault is your third line centerman going forward from there, that gives you a great deal of flexibility in acquiring a top centre and winger. If you could move Emelin, re-sign Markov at a lower cap hit on a yearly basis you'd have that much more cap space. I'm assuming Radulov will be re-signed as well.

Maybe try signing Thornton and Marleau to one year deals at a slight discount? Say 6 million per each?

Marleau - Thornton - Gallagher
Carr - Galchenyuk - Radulov
Byron - Mitchell - Flynn

Sergachev - Weber
Markov - Petry
Beaulieu - Pateryn

Price
Montoya

Maybe a little crazy but not impossible.
That defense is horrible. We'll see how you feel having Markov on the second pair again after he has another embarrassing playoff this year.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Pleks plays against the top players but statistically, some of those numbers are troubling. Just going by optics, there have been games where he has blown some golden opportunities. Problem is, his numbers aren't impressive for a 2C

Right now his numbers are not even good for a 3rd line center. He is on pace for less points than Eller did most of the time. People should let than sink in imo. He needs to produce more or his ice time needs to be reduced. No way we go far in playoffs with a center playing almost 18 minutes and producing at a rate of 25 points every 82 games.

Last edited:

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
That defense is horrible. We'll see how you feel having Markov on the second pair again after he has another embarrassing playoff this year.

He's playing second pair right now for the team that's first overall in the league.

He's 5th on the team in scoring, 1 point behind Weber.

He's tied with Duncan Keith and Ryan Suter with third most points by all defensemen in the NHL.

Has he slowed down? Yes he absolutely has.

But he's still a very good defender and an elite powerplay quarterback, and still quietly produces with the best in the NHL.

missthenet

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
I think Plekanec doesn't do much and he's finished.

I wouldn't mind
Galchenyuk
Danault
Desharnais
Mitchell
down the middle. Potentially adding another depth center at the deadline.
Hamilton is a top 3 and can eat 20+ mins per game.
Frolik is a smart two way and is a Therrien type of player. Can play all 3 forward positions.

Byron-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Pacioretty-Danault-Gallagher
Frolik-Desharnais-Shaw
Carr-Mitchell-Flynn
Andrighetto

Hamilton-Weber
Markov-Petry
Emelin-Pateryn

Price
Montoya

A big no to DD anywhere on this team. He has done nothing. Pleky at least can skate, play on both the pp and pk, and he can win faceoffs.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Should convince Vancouver to give us both Sedin's at 50% for some picks, prospects and a cap dump or two.

Plekanec, Desharnais a couple firsts and a couple seconds for Sedins at 50%.

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Sedin-Sedin-Gallagher
Byron-Danault-Shaw
Carr-McCarron-Mitchell

Emelin-Weber
Markov-Petry
Beaulieu-Pateryn

Price

I'm not a huge fan of the bottom 6, but they have enough players for there to fiddle around and try and find something that works. The top 6 would be pretty damn nice tho, and I bet moving to a contending team would spark the Sedins.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Plek has had a rough start, but I'd rather take a wait-and-see approach with him at this point in the hopes that he can get his offense back on track. He's been remarkably consistent throughout his career so I'm hesitant to put too much weight behind these first 17 games. We have until the deadline to make a move and I'd wait until then to see how things shake out. A platoon of Danault-Plek-DD-Mitchell seems to be able to get the job done in the meanwhile.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
He's playing second pair right now for the team that's first overall in the league.

He's 5th on the team in scoring, 1 point behind Weber.

He's tied with Duncan Keith and Ryan Suter with third most points by all defensemen in the NHL.

Has he slowed down? Yes he absolutely has.

But he's still a very good defender and an elite powerplay quarterback, and still quietly produces with the best in the NHL.
Seriously who the hell cares what he does in the regular season. His last playoffs he was a liability practically every time he was on the ice and that was 2 years ago. If he's playing top 4 in this playoffs we're going nowhere. But ya he's got the same points as Keith and Suter...so I guess it's all good! I swear people have amnesia around here, it's like playoffs never happen and all we remember is what happened last week.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada

Here you go guys. Word is, they found his gloves in MTL already.

If they want a young NHL ready centre, the options are basically Hudon, McCarron, Danault. I'd say Danault would be a no go for this coach and GM, so if they want one of the other two I think it would have to be bigger in them taking a cap dump to free up room on the big team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad