Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Part 60

Status
Not open for further replies.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
according to NHL insider Elliotte Friedman, the Canadiens are in the mix to acquire Arizona Coyotes defenseman Jakob Chychrun.
The 23 year old has been placed on the trade block recently and he would be a perfect fit for the Canadiens rebuild.
He's signed through the 2024-24 season at a very affordable AAV of $4.6million.
The lefty led the league in goals for a defenseman last year and would give the Canadiens a huge boost on the powerplay that they've needed for years.
Jeff Gorton would likely have to find a way to acquire a couple of extra first round picks, which he can do by moving some of the Canadiens older players like Ben Chiarot or Tyler Toffoli at the trade deadline.
The Canadiens also have lots of defensive prospects in the pipeline and they wouldn't have to give up Kaiden Guhle.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Brannstrom is out with a broken hand and is a European version of Bouillon, minus the physicality. basically, a midget on D that can create offense, but is useless away from the puck.

I'll take the first, though.
They were saying for sure Petry be gone by start of next year.

Also said Ottawa may sign Chiarot over summer.

Best way to get top value on Price is a third team gets involved. Habs retain half, 3rd team retains

BozoTheClown

Jul 10, 2021
They were saying for sure Petry be gone by start of next year.

Also said Ottawa may sign Chiarot over summer.

Best way to get top value on Price is a third team gets involved. Habs retain half, 3rd team retains
I think you can only retain 50% of the total annual salary. In Price’s case, that number would be 5 250 000$ maximum, which means another team could not retain as well, regardless of the amount.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs Halifax

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
according to NHL insider Elliotte Friedman, the Canadiens are in the mix to acquire Arizona Coyotes defenseman Jakob Chychrun.
The 23 year old has been placed on the trade block recently and he would be a perfect fit for the Canadiens rebuild.
The lefty led the league in goals for a defenseman last year and would give the Canadiens a huge boost on the powerplay that they've needed for years.
Jeff Gorton would likely have to find a way to acquire a couple of extra first round picks, which he can do by moving some of the Canadiens older players like Ben Chiarot or Tyler Toffoli at the trade deadline.
The Canadiens also have lots of defensive prospects in the pipeline and they wouldn't have to give up Kaiden Guhle.
I am not against this, but I think it's better to load up picks like Arizona and properly rebuild through the draft. Off course, the Habs player development department blows, so I don't know how they intend to turn that around.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
If Price is so bad, that he isn't worth anything unless he's at $5M cap, then why would any GM even want him? I mean if he's that bad, how would he be worth anything, not to mention the picks, prospects, etc. you'd need to trade for him? Luongo whose contract was so bad, even he said he wished he didn't sign it still got traded with EIGHT years left on it for Markstrom. Anyone who thinks you have to retain 1/2 of Price's contract to trade him is out to lunch.

If A GM thinks they need Price to win a cup or two, they are the ones who will need to put forth an offer. No NHL team is trading Price to help Habs take salary off their hands. If they want Price, then they're willing to pay for him. Same goes for Gorton who's not going to eat $26MILLION in salary to help a team win a cup.

Change my mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: otto bond

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

He actually never said that. Here's what he did say:
Click bait alert. Friedman suspects the Canadiens might be interested in Chychrun but hasn't actually heard anything but he’ll make some calls to find out.
When did the media get this bad??

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
I think you can only retain 50% of the total annual salary. In Price’s case, that number would be 5 250 000$ maximum, which means another team could not retain as well, regardless of the amount.

You can get under 50% with a third team.

But to pay a third team to retain for 4 years would be very expensive, so I don't see how that would work.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
If Price is so bad, that he isn't worth anything unless he's at $5M cap, then why would any GM even want him? I mean if he's that bad, how would he be worth anything, not to mention the picks, prospects, etc. you'd need to trade for him? Luongo whose contract was so bad, even he said he wished he didn't sign it still got traded with EIGHT years left on it for Markstrom. Anyone who thinks you have to retain 1/2 of Price's contract to trade him is out to lunch.

If A GM thinks they need Price to win a cup or two, they are the ones who will need to put forth an offer. No NHL team is trading Price to help Habs take salary off their hands. If they want Price, then they're willing to pay for him.
Would you take Kopitar at 10M$ on your team if you were at the cap and a competitive team? Probably not, doesn't mean you wouldn't be interested in him at 5.75M$ or even 7. You realize Luongo cap hit was 5.33M$, right?

It isn't realistic to expect competitive team with barely any cap space to fit his monster contract under the cap.

The thing is that these teams would have to get rid of prime assets to make room for a 10.5M$ contract,even if they gut their prospect pool to drop some bad contracts. 10.5M$ is a LOT on the cap.

They might be able to make space for 5.75$ or even 7M$.

Same goes for Gorton who's not going to eat $26MILLION in salary to help a team win a cup.

It's so cool that we have one of Gorton's close contact on hfboards that can fill us in on scoop like this.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Would you take Kopitar at 10M$ on your team if you were at the cap and a competitive team? Probably not, doesn't mean you wouldn't be interested in him at 5.75M$ or even 7.

It isn't realistic to expect competitive team with barely any cap space to fit his monster contract under the cap.

The thing is that these teams would have to get rid of prime assets to make room for a 10.5M$ contract,even if they gut their prospect pool to drop some bad contracts. 10.5M$ is a LOT on the cap.

It's so cool that we have one of Gorton's close contact on hfboards that can fill us in on scoop like this.

Kopitar isn't coming a Stanley Cup final where he was the best player on the team or else I wouls absolutely trade for Kopitar if I he was the best center for the Kings last year and took them to the finals. Is that even a question?

Plenty of teams who are competitive make trades for players they want and pay insane prices for them if they think they can get them over to win a Cup. There other ways to take back salary and help the other team out without blowing $26M of valuable cap for a rebuilding team. Taking back a bad contract etc. But if you want a player, there's always a price to pay and no GM is going to drop their pants to help the other out.

I don't have to be Gorton's close contact. All I need is a brain. A brain that tells me that eating $26M in salary is prohibitive to a rebuild especially for a player who still has value. Price is not Bryzgalov here. He's one of the best goalies in the game and looooooved by everyone in the NHL to this day. He's in every player and management survey of top 3 goalies in the NHL. Where does Kopitar rank these days??

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Would you take Kopitar at 10M$ on your team if you were at the cap and a competitive team? Probably not, doesn't mean you wouldn't be interested in him at 5.75M$ or even 7. You realize Luongo cap hit was 5.33M$, right?

No doubt in my mind that if Price wants out and we trade him, we have to retain a substantial amount. For two reasons. To help the other team fit him in and remain competitive and to also justify asking for the futures we would like in return. It's a no brainer to me and I don't think Price finishes that contract in Montreal.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Le

check Petry the last 3 seasons you’ll have your answer. Mobile Big RHD is in high demand.

This is the problem with Montreal fans . Because of 30 bad games with a shit team and while recovering from injury, Petry is now worth nothing :help::help:
Would you give up a 1st+ for an older dman making over 6 million with 2 points all year with all those minutes? He is atrocious defensively too.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I believe you are correct. The maximum amount you can retain is 50% in any formula of teams. The retention applies to all 3... Signing bonus, Actual Salary, and AAV. In Price's case, the actual money can be attractive if we pay his next Bonus in July and he is traded after that. Price's salary this year is like $2M cause he got a substantial signing bonus last summer for this season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Would you give up a 1st+ for an older dman making over 6 million with 2 points all year with all those minutes? He is atrocious defensively too.

If we want to rebuild, it's not easy cause all 3 of Price, Gallagher, and Petry will want out. And we can't just keep them around as a distraction during rebuilding years. So yeah, we have to keep the max 3 retention spots open for these 3 guys and be willing to retain up to 50%. That's about $12M for 3-5 years. Petry is 3 years, Price is 4, and Gallagher is 5.

What are we worried about? We had $8-$10M of unused cap space (cap was lower too) for 2+ years when we were a bubble team.

Retain down to $4.5M on Petry and you will get bites. His stats this year don't reflect his true ability and you will know this when you advertise a retention of $4.5M and the phone starts ringing. If the phone don't ring, then you know you are stuck but I doubt it won't ring. How often can you get a guy with his size and skating and is a legit top 4D for $4.5M? Even at the age of 34-37?

Reactions: Maelpj93

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

If the Habs make this move, we are not rebuilding and I fear the backlash Gorton will get from our fans.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Thank you for this information.
How low can you go in the salary with retention?
Can you get a player for free?

My understanding is that 25% is the lowest you can go as only two teams can retain on a single contract, to a max of 50% each.

So Team A retains for 50%, and team B retains for 50% (of that 50%), which brings it down to 25% of the original AAV, no lower.

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
Acquiring a 23 yrs old 1st pair D would't be that against the rebuild
Aslong as it’s not our own 1st round pick this year or next and I’d prefer to keep Guhle, Romanov, Caufield and Suzuki so I’m not sure what we’d give up. Sure we could grab a 1st or 2 in a trade when we sell off but I doubt that’ll move the needle for Chychrun

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Yes it would cause he could walk in a few years and you got to pay futures to get him. It's not much different than the Leafs trading picks for Kessel when they were "rebuilding".
And the picks could never play in the NHL, it's not like if Chychrun would be FA in the next 2yrs.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Aslong as it’s not our own 1st round pick this year or next and I’d prefer to keep Guhle, Romanov, Caufield and Suzuki so I’m not sure what we’d give up. Sure we could grab a 1st or 2 in a trade when we sell off but I doubt that’ll move the needle for Chychrun
I would probably don't do it because it will cost to much, but I have absolutely no problem to put Romanov in a trade for Chychrun, if he's the player they want I'm doing it all day

Reactions: Benstheman

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021

Trade Chiarot for a 1st. Trade Toffoli 50% retained for hopefully a 1st. Start negotiations with both those 1sts and Norlinder and see what else needs to be added. If the offer was both 1sts, Norlinder and Caufield, would that get it done, I wonder? Adding Caufield makes me cringe, but at the same time, that reaction means it's a nice offer.

Chychrun-Guhle-Romanov on our left side will be very nice for years to come. Chychrun is young enough to be part of the rebuild and experienced enough to be part of our top pair without issue right away. Edmundson can take Guhle's spot for now, and then likely traded for a first when the time is right.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Acquiring a 23 yrs old 1st pair D would't be that against the rebuild
What do you think we will have to give for him because Arizona is rebuilding like we should be doing.

Chychrun doesnt fit the narrative for both teams. He will cost a 1st something we shouldnt be trading at all.
He will also be ufa when the habs somehow get relevant in the future. Waste of assets if you ask me.

If you were a real playoff team looking for a top 4 dman who can play on the powerplay i would try to call to make a trade but 2 teams rebuilding for a guy like that is completely useless , both teams want to keep their picks.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
What do you think we will have to give for him because Arizona is rebuilding like we should be doing.

Chychrun doesnt fit the narrative for both teams. He will cost a 1st something we shouldnt be trading at all.
He will also be ufa when the habs somehow get relevant in the future. Waste of assets if you ask me.

If you were a real playoff team looking for a top 4 dman who can play on the powerplay i would try to call to make a trade but 2 teams rebuilding for a guy like that is completely useless , both teams want to keep their picks.
I do agree that I don't see the fit and he will cost a lot, my point was more that I would't be mad if we acquired Chychrun (except if we give Shane Wright)

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad