Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread Part 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The only issue that made me hesitant to want him is his injury occurence. But he's been healthy this year. He hasn't missed that many games and 1 or 2 were taken for personal reasons and not injury. So ignore the number of games missed because they weren't all due to injury. In fact, he's been healthier than Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Shaw, and Markov this season.

I would definitely try to get him as a rental. If we do, I don't think we'll overpay simply based on MB's comments that he won't give up his top prospects for quick fixes like a rental.

I'll maybe try to sell Arizona on taking Pateryn and Desharnais + a 1st or two 2nds. The reason I add a 1st or two 2nds is to entice Arizona enough to take both players (especially DD). It might be the cost for getting him off our hands.

I'd trade for Hanzal in order to get first dibs at attempting to re-sign him to an extension.

He checks off a lot of boxes for the Habs...solid 2 way player, can log a ton of minutes, wins faceoffs, plays with an edge (when he's at the top of his game).

I've more than warmed up to the idea, I think Hanzal should be a prime target for the Habs.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
What would you guys give for Hanzal? They won't give him away for free, you know?

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Hanzal's offensive game is underrated IMO. That Arizona team is atrocious.

He was on pace for 53 points last year, that's respectable production.

The Pac-Danault-Rads line just works , they have a ton of chances game after game. Danault takes care of the defensive assignments and Rads takes over in the offensive zone...

The PO are tight checking games where errors will kill you.

Been on pace and making it, it's two differents things. He's been awfully injured in his career and for me he's an underachiever. He's a Viktor Kozlov/Nik Antropov type of player. Yes, he's big but doesn't play big. So what's the point to bring a player like that? Being more frustrated?

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
So Chucky is an ELITE centerman? Yeah right...

Is Anisimov an elite centerman? His best season in his career is 44 points and he's centering Kane and Panarin...

He's also the 2nd line centre playing with 2 superstars.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I like the idea of having Hanzal but he's not going to flourish offensively with the Habs.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If we got Hanzal I would move Danault to the wing and play him with Galchenyuk and Radulov. He could take important faceoffs for Chucky and cover his butt defensively.

Hanzal and Pleks as our 2/3 centers is decent.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
2 x 2nds. Or a 2nd and a prospect not named McCarron, Scherbak, Juulsen, Lindgren or Sergachev.
We got second rounders but they're late picks, this may not be appealing to them. Would you toss Sherbak in and maybe even McCarron instead of the useless second round picks?

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Move Chucky to the wing, done!

Danault
Hanzal
Plekanec
Mitchell

Strong two-way center line. It's what you need during the PO.

That's a dreadful centerline.

If you move Galchenyuk to the wing, you better bring someone that can actually play 1st line minutes. Hanzal is a middle six player, as if he'd turn our already mediocre center-line into something solid enough to contend for the cup.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013

If you move Galchenyuk to the wing, you better bring someone that can actually play 1st line minutes. Hanzal is a middle six player, as if he'd turn our already mediocre center-line into something solid enough to contend for the cup.
People think if we add Hanzal it will solve all of our problems. Half true.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Hanzal would be a good addition, but not to carry a center line of Danault, Plekanec and Mitchell :help:

We need to get a offensively minded center that can win a faceoff.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Two-way would insinuate that there is some offense there. We'd be basically running 4 defensive minded C's.

Well Hanzal is the 2nd highest scoring forward on the Coyotes, so there's that.

I mean he's a great option without mortgaging the future.

I have no issue giving up the likes of Scherbak, Juulsen or the slew of small wingers. But who is available at that low price? Hanzal would cost less and fills a similar need.

I mean let's face it, this team isn't going to add one great offensive player and turn into the Capitals. Their MO will stay the same, win games because of an elite goalie and forward depth.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Been on pace and making it, it's two differents things. He's been awfully injured in his career and for me he's an underachiever. He's a Viktor Kozlov/Nik Antropov type of player. Yes, he's big but doesn't play big. So what's the point to bring a player like that? Being more frustrated?

Well he didn't make it because he was injured...

He has been healthy this year.

He has 105 hits this year, I don't know what are you talking about. He would have the most hits among forwards on this team.

Only Emelin 178 hits and Weber 106 hits would be ahead of him. And he missed 9 games.

He's also the 2nd line centre playing with 2 superstars.

Isn't this what Danault is doing?

And that line is their first line, to be honest... At worst it's 1A and 1B

He has the 4th TOI on the team.

What would you guys give for Hanzal? They won't give him away for free, you know?

Apparently, they asked for a 1st+BigMac...

I don't know what this management thinks about Hudon , if they don't see him on this team then trade him...

A second + Hudon or a first + DLR.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
People think if we add Hanzal it will solve all of our problems. Half true.

He's a big versatile player... But adding him and moving Galchenyuk to the wing gives us a team that arguably doesn't even have a single top 6 center.

For me it's simple. We either make it or we don't with Galchenyuk, and we need someone to help and spread out the offensive production on the 2nd line. We have to stop hall-assing it and hoping for Price to pull a miracle and win us a cup. We simply don't have the roster for that right now, and adding Hanzal sure as hell won't be the difference maker to push us over the edge.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Hanzal would be a good addition, but not to carry a center line of Danault, Plekanec and Mitchell :help:

We need to get a offensively minded center that can win a faceoff.
Do you have a better idea, because right-now we are screwed. The only positive thing in our line up is the absence of Desharnais.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
We got second rounders but they're late picks, this may not be appealing to them. Would you toss Sherbak in and maybe even McCarron instead of the useless second round picks?

Just because they are later doesn't mean they're useless, just means they have less value. But anyone trying to acquire Hanzal will likely have later picks so we'll be pretty even with everyone else.

I wouldn't trade McCarron. Maybe Scherbak but he'd be a tough one to lose for a rental like Hanzal. I'd be more likely to trade a 1st this year than Scherbak. If the rental was more dynamic than maybe, but it's tough to lose a potential high end offensive guy when we have so few of them.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
I wonder if anyone has any thoughts about this. With the draft being so poor this year, would a first have significantly more value then 2 (late) seconds?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree the center depth is not great and moving Galchenyuk to the wing doesn't help the problem even if Hanzal is acquired. But there are many ways to win and this Habs roster needs to win with solid defense. Forget about the Habs being an offensive powerhouse. It's just not happening in the forseable future.

2 goals or less = Habs win 60-70% of the games.

More than 2 goals allowed = Habs win 50% of their games if they are lucky... which has been the case over the last few months!

Identity check time... We need to be one of the best defensive teams in the NHL and with Price and Weber (and some others of course), it's the best strategy! Score on the PP! Julien has already been on record saying a good offense is a good defense! He's already on the right track!

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Just because they are later doesn't mean they're useless, just means they have less value. But anyone trying to acquire Hanzal will likely have later picks so we'll be pretty even with everyone else.

I wouldn't trade McCarron. Maybe Scherbak but he'd be a tough one to lose for a rental like Hanzal. I'd be more likely to trade a 1st this year than Scherbak. If the rental was more dynamic than maybe, but it's tough to lose a potential high end offensive guy when we have so few of them.
The issue with this is that other teams can offer better second round picks. At least you're willing to give away Sherbak.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Isn't this what Danault is doing?

And that line is their first line, to be honest... At worst it's 1A and 1B

He has the 4th TOI on the team.

Yes, you could argue that's their first line. But the other line has Toews and Hossa. 2 premier 2-way players.

We'd have Galchenyuk - Gallagher - ? on our 1B/2nd line. That's a pretty big drop off, not necessarily in talent but in PS experience and success.

Also, I would argue that Kane and Panarin are a clear step up from Radulov and Pacioretty, and Anisimov is a clear step up from Danault.

If anything, this comparison just shows me how we need at least one more gamebreaker in the top 6.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Well Hanzal is the 2nd highest scoring forward on the Coyotes, so there's that.

I mean he's a great option without mortgaging the future.

I have no issue giving up the likes of Scherbak, Juulsen or the slew of small wingers. But who is available at that low price? Hanzal would cost less and fills a similar need.

I mean let's face it, this team isn't going to add one great offensive player and turn into the Capitals. Their MO will stay the same, win games because of an elite goalie and forward depth.

He's producing at a 40 points rate. People have been lynching Plekanec for less around here.

The reason Hanzal costs less than a guy like, say, Duchene or RNH, is because he's a substantially worse hockey player. He also happens to be an upcoming UFA. And he's been plagued by injuries throughout his entire career.

Another issue I have with these guys coming from bottom feeders with decent front-value stats is that they play substantially more minutes than they normally should. Hanzal produces at a 40 points rate playing almost 19 minutes a night and nigh 3 minutes of PP per game. That's more PP time per game than Galchenyuk! Look at what happened to Vermette after he got traded to Chicago. Or Boedker now that he's on San Jose.

What happens when you cut down these minutes substantially, when you have him off the 1st PP wave, heck perhaps even off the PP entirely? What you'll get is production along the lines of Plekanec's. But heck, Hanzal's big! He'd be giving us Eller numbers, if he's lucky enough not to get injured.

I'm sick and tired of beating around the bush. I much rather spend assets like 1st round picks and former 1st round picks going after a guy that'll actually fill a need, but also be a part of the core going forward. If the plan is to jump into the bargain bin now and until Price really has nothing left in the tank, might as well sell him high, along with Weber, Radulov and Pacioretty, because we're not going to win ****.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Yes, you could argue that's their first line. But the other line has Toews and Hossa. 2 premier 2-way players.

We'd have Galchenyuk - Gallagher - ? on our 1B/2nd line. That's a pretty big drop off, not necessarily in talent but in PS experience and success.

Also, I would argue that Kane and Panarin are a clear step up from Radulov and Pacioretty, and Anisimov is a clear step up from Danault.

If anything, this comparison just shows me how we need at least one more gamebreaker in the top 6.
Price vs Crawford? That's too close to call. You're right we can't compete.

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
He's producing at a 40 points rate. People have been lynching Plekanec for less around here.

The reason Hanzal costs less than a guy like, say, Duchene or RNH, is because he's a substantially worse hockey player. He also happens to be an upcoming UFA. And he's been plagued by injuries throughout his entire career.

Another issue I have with these guys coming from bottom feeders with decent front-value stats is that they play substantially more minutes than they normally should. Hanzal produces at a 40 points rate playing almost 19 minutes a night and nigh 3 minutes of PP per game. That's more PP time per game than Galchenyuk! Look at what happened to Vermette after he got traded to Chicago. Or Boedker now that he's on San Jose.

What happens when you cut down these minutes substantially, when you have him off the 1st PP wave, heck perhaps even off the PP entirely? What you'll get is production along the lines of Plekanec's. But heck, Hanzal's big! He'd be giving us Eller numbers, if he's lucky enough not to get injured.

I'm sick and tired of beating around the bush. I much rather spend assets like 1st round picks and former 1st round picks going after a guy that'll actually fill a need, but also be a part of the core going forward. If the plan is to jump into the bargain bin now and until Price really has nothing left in the tank, might as well sell him high, along with Weber, Radulov and Pacioretty, because we're not going to win ****.

Amen.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

I get you, but let's be realistic here... Duchene is not happening, and I don't see any other number one center being moved.

Hanzal OTOH is something real , the guy is getting moved for sure...

So even if it's not optimal it may be the best solution...

Markov4Captain

Dec 29, 2009
Montreal, QC
Biggest issue I have with Bergevin is the fact that he traded Subban for Weber, fine. But that basically means you're in a win-now mode. But then you go back and say you're not willing to trade most of your prospects because you don't want to mortgage your future.

By trading Subban and getting a much older Weber, you are telling your fanbase that the cup window is now, with Pacioretty/Weber/Price all in or past their primes, not to mention the weak prospect pool this team is suffering from. Why don't you get Price that help he needs on O and D?? Idc what Bergevin is selling to fans and media but this core's cup window is directly correlated to Price's prime window. You can't keep preaching 'we have to build to the future' ITS BEEN FIVE YEARS. Do something. Bergevin took this team over 5 years ago and their forward group isn't any better.

I just hope Price doesnt get sick of this and leaves this city once he hits free agency for a real shot at the cup. He won't buy the 'next year' excuse for much longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad