Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Who are the players that might be available that would really improve the 2c spot!?

1-Duchene
2-Little
3-Henrique
4-Hanzal(not a big Improvement on Plek)

Thats pretty much it, dont see anybody else fitting the bill being available.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
IMO trading Juulsen and a 1st for a subpar player is worst than losing Sergachev for an impact player

Exactly, we need an upgrade on Danault and Plek at the 2C spot, not a similar player

Ok so to put this in full context understanding that MB would need to include Plek himself and add a small plus, you guys think trading Plekanec, Juulsen, 2017 1st and a DLR/Ghetto type of prospect doesn't land you a decent 2C.

I bow down to your knowledge, what do I know I'm just some Rookie User. :nod:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Does anyone think Jordan Staal is interesting enough to trade for?

Contract: 6M for another 6 seasons (2022-23) or until he is 34
Size: 6'4" and 220lbs (according to NHL.com)

- In 35 games this season, he has 8 goals and 12 assists for 20 points. He missed 7 games so he's on pace for a 75-game season with 17 goals and 26 assists for 43 points. But keep in mind that all this is on a struggling Hurricanes squad.

- He's 5th in scoring this year in Carolina. But he is only three points away from being 3rd behind only Skinner and Rask, who are about 15 points ahead. Aho and Teravainen have just 3 and 1 points more, respectively. But they played all 42 games. Staal, only 35.

- He is a real good two-way center. According to Hockey-Reference, he finished 13th in Selke voting last season.

- He is good in the face-off circle. He's at 59.5% this season. He's been between 50% and 60% in each of his last 5 seasons.

- He's played under Therrien before and they are familiar with each other.

Jul 6, 2016
Does anyone think Jordan Staal is interesting enough to trade for?

Contract: 6M for another 6 seasons (2022-23) or until he is 34
Size: 6'4" and 220lbs (according to NHL.com)

- In 35 games this season, he has 8 goals and 12 assists for 20 points. He missed 7 games so he's on pace for a 75-game season with 17 goals and 26 assists for 43 points. But keep in mind that all this is on a struggling Hurricanes squad.

- He's 5th in scoring this year in Carolina. But he is only three points away from being 3rd behind only Skinner and Rask, who are about 15 points ahead. Aho and Teravainen have just 3 and 1 points more, respectively. But they played all 42 games. Staal, only 35.

- He is a real good two-way center. According to Hockey-Reference, he finished 13th in Selke voting last season.

- He is good in the face-off circle. He's at 59.5% this season. He's been between 50% and 60% in each of his last 5 seasons.

- He's played under Therrien before and they are familiar with each other.

Staal is MT's type of player. But he has a very long anmd expensive contract. + Carolina still has chances to make the Playoffs, and needs him. His is making the same salary as Duchene, but way longer. And he is older,too.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Carolina needs to retain at least 1 million on Staal's salary if i were MB to be semi interested in him.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Who are the players that might be available that would really improve the 2c spot!?

1-Duchene
2-Little
3-Henrique

1- They would need Sergachev, too expensive;
2- NTC
3- Brought Hall to play with him specifically
4- You said it, not confident he makes us better than having Plek/Danault managing 2C/3C

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Staal is MT's type of player. But he has a very long anmd expensive contract. + Carolina still has chances to make the Playoffs, and needs him. His is making the same salary as Duchene, but way longer. And he is older,too.

Honestly, I missed that while I was looking at his personal and the team stats for my post. It's pretty safe to assume with the Hurricanes still in the race. They are just 3 points out of a Wild Card spot with games in hand. I think they'd rather hold onto Staal. Only way he's made available is Carolina falls down the standings from now until TDL.

Carolina needs to retain at least 1 million on Staal's salary if i were MB to be semi interested in him.

Unless similar contract is going the other way, Carolina doesn't need to retain. The obvious choice is Plekanec, who also has 6M cap hit. Carolina might accept this trade because Plekanec only has 1 more year in his deal and does not have a NTC/NMC attached to his deal, which could help Carolina move him later on.

Staal however does have another 6 years and a NMC attached. He'd obviously need to lift it to come to Montreal. But if he does, Habs will have his NMC to deal with. He will have to be protected if we acquire him due to his NMC. But if you're trading for a Jordan Staal, it's because your plan is to protect him.

However, he could be a better target in the off-season.

Jul 6, 2016
With Galchy back, Danault's impressive progression and Plekky's sudden wake up, I think we are fine at center for the time being. I am more worrying about bottom D pairing, especially IF Markov is still gone for a while. The actual top-four is over worked.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
With Galchy back, Danault's impressive progression and Plekky's sudden wake up, I think we are fine at center for the time being. I am more worrying about bottom D pairing, especially IF Markov is still gone for a while. The actual top-four is over worked.

With the TDL a month and a half away, Bergevin has enough time to see what the centers can do now that, as you mentioned, Chucky's back, Pleks is hot, and Danault is a revelation.

I agree about that third pairing. It needs stabilizing. With Markov back, Emelin-Markov-Beaulieu on the left side is solid. But we don't know when Markov will return and/or if someone else gets injured. Barberio isn't getting the job back.

As for the right side, Weber-Petry-Pateryn sounds good as well. But we won't have Pateryn back soon. And when we do, we don't know if he'll be consistent and if MT will trust him. Redmond, Johnston, and Hanley haven't exactly done enough to convince anyone they are adequate replacements.

So I would say one depth LD and one depth RD could be the better targets. Beauchemin can be one of those targets, maybe?

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
With Beaulieu stepping up lately, and given the options of D who might be available I wouldn't mind going after Stone despite him being a RHD.

Emelin has played well this year and was also one of our best D along with Petry the last time we made the playoffs, obviously it'd be nice to have a better puck mover with Weber but Emelin has faired well and those guys can play tough matchups. Grabbing a good partner to play with Beaulieu would give us 3 solid pairs we could run, also Stone can play on the PK and is good at moving the puck.

Emelin - Weber
Markov - Petry
Beaulieu - Stone

Just feel like Stone would be a big upgrade on guys like Pateryn/Redmond than other UFAs would be over our LHD, and I doubt we'll see any top LHD getting moved around the deadline.

puckluck33*

May 17, 2015

1-Duchene
2-Little
3-Henrique

Maybe Brassard if Ottawa is not in a playoff spot,and if their owner wants to dump a big contract 5 million per year.and Brassard has had some good playoffs.:)

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
Exactly, we need an upgrade on Danault and Plek at the 2C spot, not a similar player

Unless you trust Danault and Plekanec to score at a 60 point pace, Duchene is not a similar player.

edit: whoops, my reading comprehension is struggling; I'm perhaps still trying to comprehend how a 1st and Juulsen could be discussed to target Henrique

Last edited:

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Unless you trust Danault and Plekanec to score at a 60 point pace, Duchene is not a similar player.

I see Danault and Pleck as excellent 3c 30-35pts center, of course Duchene would be a great upgrade over them but im not sure that acquiring a guy like Hanzal is worth paying a fairly steep price for a small upgrade if upgrade there is.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Maybe Brassard if Ottawa is not in a playoff spot,and if their owner wants to dump a big contract 5 million per year.and Brassard has had some good playoffs.:)

Long shot but he would be a great fit im sure. Dont see the Sens missing the playoffs though, the division is so weak, im pretty confident they will finish top3.

Jul 6, 2016
I see Danault and Pleck as excellent 3c 30-35pts center, of course Duchene would be a great upgrade over them but im not sure that acquiring a guy like Hanzal is worth paying a fairly steep price for a small upgrade if upgrade there is.

We have our #1 center: Galchenyuk...

And I think Danault and Plekky can handle #2 and #3 spots. Even Shaw can play center if needed.

And we still have Mitchell, McCarron, Flynn + DLR who can all center that #4 line.

A veteran winger for our top-two + one or two bottom pairing d-men who can kill penalties, at least, are required.

To get Duchene, MB will have to overpay for sure.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
We have our #1 center: Galchenyuk...

And I think Danault and Plekky can handle #2 and #3 spots. Even Shaw can play center if needed.

And we still have Mitchell, McCarron, Flynn + DLR who can all center that #4 line.

A veteran winger for our top-two + one or two bottom pairing d-men who can kill penalties, at least, are required.

To get Duchene, MB will have to overpay for sure.

We don't want player who can "handle" a position, we want players that take us to the Cup. We need as much talent as we can...

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
We don't want player who can "handle" a position, we want players that take us to the Cup. We need as much talent as we can...

THANK YOU!

Everywhere you look on sports forums, you see fans overly attached to players who are far from elite, although they are still decent players.

I'd think, when looking for a team that will win a Cup, the emphasis shouldn't be on players that can PLAY at the NHL level in a given spot but, rather, players that can PLAY WITH IMPACT in a given spot!

Adding a Duchene at C makes it questionable who is your #1C. Galchenyuk or Duchene? That's a #1A and #1B scenario which is far better than what we've seen in Montreal in ages!

Danault at #3C and McCarron at #4C is like having a #3A and a #3B scenarios beyond Galchenyuk and Duchene!

Both Mitchell and Flynn can play #4C and, with a slew of injuries at C, #3C, even.

That leaves you 2 Cs that can play first line in Galchenyuk and Duchene, Danault that can fill in as a #2C in case of injuries and, if necessary short term, as a #1C.

McCarron can fill in as a #3C in case of injury and Mitchell, short term, can also fill in as a #3C.

With a bunch of Cs injured up the depth chart, Flynn can play 4th line C!

I'd much rather that kind of depth up the middle entering into the playoffs than Galchenyuk, Danault, Plekanec and McCarron.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
The Habs have two major needs in the near future.

1. Big LH defenseman

2. Big RH scoring center

Number 1 is covered by Sergachev. He can come in next year, learn the rope on the third pairing, help on the powerplay and two-three years from now, be a dominant player at his position. The physical tools are just too impressive. If Beaulieu can make mainly on physical tools, then Sergachev will most likely be a star in the future.

Number 2 is a big problem. We badly need to find that player and pay a big price for him. That player is not Matt Duchene. I would be ready to trade Sergachev only for player that fit number #2 perfectly. MacKinnon is one of them. Jack Eichel another one. Aside from a player that fits that description perfectly, Sergachev stays here.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Oduya and Seidenberg are indeed likely targets

It's been a while since I've seen Oduya play but I remember him being a decent skater... is this still the case? If so, maybe he can handle top minutes with Weber.

Oduya - Weber
Markov - Petry
Beaulieu - Emelin

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
The Habs have two major needs in the near future.

1. Big LH defenseman

2. Big RH scoring center

Number 1 is covered by Sergachev. He can come in next year, learn the rope on the third pairing, help on the powerplay and two-three years from now, be a dominant player at his position. The physical tools are just too impressive. If Beaulieu can make mainly on physical tools, then Sergachev will most likely be a star in the future.

Number 2 is a big problem. We badly need to find that player and pay a big price for him. That player is not Matt Duchene. I would be ready to trade Sergachev only for player that fit number #2 perfectly. MacKinnon is one of them. Jack Eichel another one. Aside from a player that fits that description perfectly, Sergachev stays here.

I dont see it the same way you do at all!! I actually think that the winger and d-core situation is the best it has been in a very long time!! Compare the habs to every team you consider a contender in the nhl and i think we're on par or better then most of them. Do the same exercice with the centers and youll realize that we're not even close of being in the same league!!

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Oduya and Seidenberg are indeed likely targets

It's been a while since I've seen Oduya play but I remember him being a decent skater... is this still the case? If so, maybe he can handle top minutes with Weber.

Oduya - Weber
Markov - Petry
Beaulieu - Emelin

Im not the biggest Emelin fan but surprisingly hes been the most consistant dmen for the habs this year, dont see any reason why to find a new partner for Weber. Anyway Oduya at this point of his career is not an upgrade over Emelin, he would be a 5-6D.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Well, if MB wants to help Therrien and the Habs he must pulled a miracle.....before adding another center, get rid of Desharnais, just like Moen.....get that bad option out of MT's hand.

That would be a start....

Desharnais + Carr or Ghetto + 2nd round pick
Micheal Stone

Habfan10

May 16, 2015

I don't think Plekanac play is something he can sustain...especially come playoff time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad