Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hansman

Mar 18, 2013
Wild West
Couple of Differences in circumstances between Draisaitl and Drouin. 1) Oilers have cap space to sign Drai and TB does not have cap space considering who else they have to re sign. 2) Drai probably likes playing with the Oilers and Drouin has not been treated too well by Tampa.

Its up to Drouin and his agent to seek an offer sheet deal. If he approaches the Habs, I would be listening if I was MB (and I'm sure any GM will). Especially with the Cap situation in Tampa. Where there is smoke, there is fire. MB should be worried about future "back lash" down the road if he signs an offer sheet with Drouin but at this point, the Habs have nothing to worry about for years to come. Especially Tampa where they will be up against the cap for many seasons with that young core they have

If Bergy did offer sheet Drouin and he came on board,Steve Y would be gunning for the Habs when we sign Chucky or another player even years later.So that is something to keep in mind ,also other GMs might get a distaste for that practice.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Fowler.

Anaheim won't move Lindholm. It's most likely that Vatanen is moved over Fowler or Lindholm, though.

Vatanen is a RD though which we have no need for. The LD is the need and I'd be surprised if they move Fowler as much as I'd be surprised with Lindholm.

It's a tricky situation to be in and I'm not sure Anaheim needs to make that decision this year anyways as long as Depres stays on the shelf, they can stay under they're self imposed salary cap. Off season will likely be the time they move though Bergevin's been in constant contact so I guess we'll see how that plays out.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
I 100% agree. Too many people convinced the Habs have a 2 year window to win. It's so not the case. MB has improved this year slightly each year and is making moves when opportunity comes (Radulov for example).

Pacioretty and Price have a cap hit of 11M right now.

In 2-3 year we're looking at 17M. (They could also sign in another team)

6M is a lot of money and we could use that money on a scoring forward.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Tampa can always match the offer if he signs an offer-sheet though.

Thats probably what they do. The whole point is this. Tampa has other key core players to resign and with only $12.5M in cap space with 11 players to resign (to name just 3... Drouin, Johnson, Palat), They will have a really difficult time keeping the core in tack. They do have two guys they can try to unload (Filppula at $5M for one year and Killorn at $4.45M for 6 years) but that will not be easy to do. They are hoping LV takes one of these guys in the Expansion draft Im assuming. Regardless, they have some work to do and if Drouin is signed to a AAV of $6M or more, it complicates their situation

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pacioretty and Pacioretty have a cap hit of 11M right now.

In 2-3 year we're looking at 17M. (They could also sign in another team)

6M is a lot of money and we could use that money on a scoring forward.

I'd love to have too Pacioretty's right now! lol. I have no idea what your talking about. Please explain your post a bit more

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Thats probably what they do. The whole point is this. Tampa has other key core players to resign and with only $12.5M in cap space with 11 players to resign (to name just 3... Drouin, Johnson, Palat), They will have a really difficult time keeping the core in tack. They do have two guys they can try to unload (Filppula at $5M for one year and Killorn at $4.45M for 6 years) but that will not be easy to do. They are hoping LV takes one of these guys in the Expansion draft Im assuming. Regardless, they have some work to do and if Drouin is signed to a AAV of $6M or more, it complicates their situation

If the expansion draft is after when the offer sheet would through, I think TB would much rather get some sort of compensation in return rather than losing a player for nothing. Maybe it's not Drouin that's ultimately moved, but it could be another high(ish) profile player.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Bergy did offer sheet Drouin and he came on board,Steve Y would be gunning for the Habs when we sign Chucky or another player even years later.So that is something to keep in mind ,also other GMs might get a distaste for that practice.

How could Yzerman sign any offer sheet from any other team with the cap problems he is going to have in the next few years? The back lash from a RFA offer sheet may happen but it's many years down the road from Tampa with the young core they have.

Galchenyuk is getting locked up this off season. Remember, Offer sheets are done when the other team thinks they can get the player and the player is also interesting in signing somewhere else or making more money when negotiations go sour with his current team. Drouin will be an interesting negotiation with Tampa! Habs will not be the only team watching

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If the expansion draft is after when the offer sheet would through, I think TB would much rather get some sort of compensation in return rather than losing a player for nothing. Maybe it's not Drouin that's ultimately moved, but it could be another high(ish) profile player.

Agreed. It's a good situation for the Habs with Tampa's core being affected. They are one of the best young team in the NHL and will be a thorn on the Habs side if the Habs want to win a Cup! With Tampa having an off year, it's a good thing for the Habs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad