HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Zegras just had this worst season ever, that is worse than a plateau, it's a sign that his game doesn't translate well when they know what to look for and when he doesn't get hamfisted all the best ice time and opportunities.
Yeah i'm not the biggest fan but to be fair, he just has been injured. So i would take his lack of production with a grain of salt. He is really talented and we badly need talent.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I would bet on ourselves and dangle our 2025 1st for Zegras. Would off course make it top 2 protected (lottery win).

But i'm pretty confident if we get Zegras, and with Dach coming back, we will at best draft 8OA-10OA, which is fair value for Zegras. And no matter what, i don't see us drafting top 5.

Not sure Anaheim would bit though.

No way in hell I'm doing this. We will get another great player when we pick outside of the playoff spots next year, one who will come in on an ELC and be a better contributor than Zegras.

I think it has more to do with him battling injuries all season long.

Nah, he's just overrated.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I don't think it was the contract. His lack of top-notch talent was the anchor.
It was the pressure of that contract he didn't deserve that acted like an anchor, that I was referring to. $4.8M isn't a top notch player level salary but it's enough pressure for a younger payer to need to live up to. If he bridged at $2-3M range, no one would be saying boo about him and his lack of production. $4.8M contract implies a 50ish point, productive player. He is neither...

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Would you guys do

MTL ; #5 + Justin Barron + Ylonen
for
CAR : Necas + #28
too rich for my blood.

Assuming neither Demidov or Lindstrom are available, I'd offer:
5th
for
Zegras + Anaheim's 24th pick.

Package Anaheim and Jets pick with a prospect and then get Necas or Ehlers.

Slaf Suzuki Necas/Ehlers
Zegras Dach Caufield

I think that's a top 6 that can score a lot of goals and doesn't lack size.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
No way in hell I'm doing this. We will get another great player when we pick outside of the playoff spots next year, one who will come in on an ELC and be a better contributor than Zegras.

Nah, he's just overrated.

His worst season coincide with him battling injuries but its not related. Yeah sure. You dont need to be a genius to see it hindered his play and production.

Would you guys do

MTL ; #5 + Justin Barron + Ylonen
for
CAR : Necas + #28

Hell no

Reactions: calder candidate

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
His worst season coincide with him battling injuries but its not related. Yeah sure. You dont need to be a genius to see it hindered his play and production.

Hell no

You also don't need to be a genius to know why Verbeek wanted nothing to do with extending him long term and is now actively shopping him.. all of this happening before his "injury impacted" season.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
You also don't need to be a genius to know why Verbeek wanted nothing to do with extending him long term and is now actively shopping him.. all of this happening before his "injury impacted" season.

many players get bridge contract, doesnt mean they are not good. Activately shopping him, this is rumors but when you have depth on a position its normal to feel the market see if you can do a trade that will benefit your team. In your mind every time a player gets traded ita because is overated? Why Carolina dont make place on their cap to keep Necas if is that incredible. Your thought process doesnt make a lot of sense

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
many players get bridge contract, doesnt mean they are not good. Activately shopping him, this is rumors but when you have depth on a position its normal to feel the market see if you can do a trade that will benefit your team. In your mind every time a player gets traded ita because is overated? Why Carolina dont make place on their cap to keep Necas if is that incredible. Your thought process doesnt make a lot of sense

Carolina is being squeezed out of keeping players around as contenders do and they likely keep Guentzel who is more impactful for what they are trying to do.

They aren't a rebuilding team looking to move a young player out of his ELC. Zegras is not a fit stylistically, he's overrated because of his tik tok reels and Verbeek knows you can't win with that player. Hugo know it too.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Carolina is being squeezed out of keeping players around as contenders do and they likely keep Guentzel who is more impactful for what they are trying to do.

They aren't a rebuilding team looking to move a young player out of his ELC. Zegras is not a fit stylistically, he's overrated because of his tik tok reels and Verbeek knows you can't win with that player. Hugo know it too.
The thing is Zegras was part of team that won championship. When USA beat Canada for the gold medal 2-0. He had 1 goal and one assist in that game. I think Zegras is a gamer

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
too rich for my blood.

Assuming neither Demidov or Lindstrom are available, I'd offer:
5th
for
Zegras + Anaheim's 24th pick.

Package Anaheim and Jets pick with a prospect and then get Necas or Ehlers.

Slaf Suzuki Necas/Ehlers
Zegras Dach Caufield

I think that's a top 6 that can score a lot of goals and doesn't lack size.
Too soft imo.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
In the juniors?

Yes juniors. High stake game and he rose up to the occasion. I think now in anaheim hes being ask to carry the team and hes not ready to do that yet. I think he would florish here with our group and MSL but I can be wrong. We need to boost our top 6, Im open to different scenario just said since Necas is talk about a lot between him and Zegras, I would prefer Zegras but who knows which player Hughes is targeting. Nobody saw Dach coming and he surprised us. Will see at the draft but Ill have my bowl of popcorn ready because I do expect a big move

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yes juniors. High stake game and he rose up to the occasion. I think now in anaheim hes being ask to carry the team and hes not ready to do that yet. I think he would florish here with our group and MSL but I can be wrong. We need to boost our top 6, Im open to different scenario just said since Necas is talk about a lot between him and Zegras, I would prefer Zegras but who knows which player Hughes is targeting. Nobody saw Dach coming and he surprised us. Will see at the draft but Ill have my bowl of popcorn ready because I do expect a big move

Yeah the WJCs doesn't correlate to NHL playoff hockey very well.

I also disagree, he was early on given top line minutes, top PP, all the top looks everywhere and when he struggled is because they've added MacTavish, Carlsson, etc who are all better plays than him and as he stopped getting those cupcake minutes and opportunities, his offense died.

I don't want another Drouin where you have to move heaven and earth to get a soft, bad defensive player 50-60 pts to justify the trade.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Too soft imo.
i think it's pretty well balanced. Dach and Slaf on each line can more than play rough and tumble. Suzuki is no slouch either. Passing, goal scoring, speed and elite level skill on both lines.

Besides, it's not their job to be "tough." It's their job to score and be able to get to not get pushed around, get to the dirty areas to score. Both lines have players who can do those things.

Besides, most top lines in the NHL are not "tough" but they can play through it with speed and skill.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would bet on ourselves and dangle our 2025 1st for Zegras. Would off course make it top 2 protected (lottery win).

But i'm pretty confident if we get Zegras, and with Dach coming back, we will at best draft 8OA-10OA, which is fair value for Zegras. And no matter what, i don't see us drafting top 5.

Not sure Anaheim would bit though.

I am a fan of trying to acquire Zegras (same as I was and still am with Dubois) but I'm not desperate. I want to capitalize on buy low (like Dach).

With Zegras, the trend is not good. Yeah, it was an injury season but Newhook also had a injury season. I'm just not sure how good Zegras is. This WC performance is a red flag for me. He's playing with talent and it's meh. Points production is not there and he has the worse +/- on the entire team.

At this stage, I'm sticking with our quantity package offers. Ducks don't like it? Sure, I'm OK with it. I'd let them drown with him. I just don't think he is a complete forward that moves the needle in the playoffs. He's clearly tracking to be that skilled/soft perimeter type. I don't care if the Ducks say he's not that soft. Not buying it.

Reactions: Benstheman

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd rather draft Iginla at #5 than to trade that pick for either Zegras or Necas.

Agreed. If Zegras looked dynamic at the WC with the US, I might consider it. However, I am very disappointed with his performance. Point production is not good and he has the worse +/- on the entire team. That kind of falls in line with the meh season he just had (even with injuries). For a guy like that, you hope he has Kucherov type offense/impact. Because I just don't see the other parts of their game attractive.

The question I am left pondering is how good is Zegras offensively? Is he a 60-80 pts guy or does he have 80+ potential in his prime? I'm am more unsure about that today than I was a month or two ago. If we believe he is a 60-70 pts guy but needs talent to do that, I pass.

Bringing in Zegras may be a distraction for Caufield IMO. Would be a great situation if they were dynamic together but that's not showing at the WC's and the Americans have a good roster with loads of talent.

A better plan would be to take Iggy 5th and sign Toffoli for 3 years. Top 6 improves while Iggy is developing and approaching prime. That is two check marks for what the team wants to do this coming season and in the future.

Lets not force a Zegras or Necas trade we really don't want to do. If the Canes decide to let go Necas, that's a red flag. I'd trust Brindamour and their management team on this. If the Canes are open to trading him as a contender, what does that mean to you? An no, it's not all cap space issues. It would be deeper than that.

Last edited:

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah the WJCs doesn't correlate to NHL playoff hockey very well.

I also disagree, he was early on given top line minutes, top PP, all the top looks everywhere and when he struggled is because they've added MacTavish, Carlsson, etc who are all better plays than him and as he stopped getting those cupcake minutes and opportunities, his offense died.

I don't want another Drouin where you have to move heaven and earth to get a soft, bad defensive player 50-60 pts to justify the trade.

We dont want a drouin 2.0 thats for sure. Hughes and MSL both know very well Zegras so if they decide to trade for him Ill support it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad