HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I love Ehlers and I'd go for him too but we probably don't have what they want.. but maybe they'd be interested in bringing in Justin Barron.

Just think Carolina as an organization would take surplus picks and a Harris/Struble for Necas.
Ehlers and Necas would be nice adds, but they're both more of what the Habs have in skill, but more on the soft side than anything. Yeah, Ehlers doesn't back down and kudos for getting beat up and fighting back instead of just getting beat up and doing nothing.

Sadly, this team still needs a fair amount for just the top 6.

Ehlers isn't very good in the playoffs. Necas is maybe a bit better. Not really players you want, players who disappear in the playoffs.

If Demidov is gone and you want a player like that, might as well trade the 5th + for Marner. Get a real high end skilled player thar can help you early on in a playoff series and hope your team can group together without him to close the series out.

Reactions: themilosh

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I don’t understand this Necas isn’t good in the playoffs argument. In his last 19 playoff games he has 13 points. Yeah obviously he’s not Draisaitl but how many 25 year old 70+ point RFAs are actually available? It’s not like we have anyone in the system capable of becoming this type of player.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I don’t understand this Necas isn’t good in the playoffs argument. In his last 19 playoff games he has 13 points. Yeah obviously he’s not Draisaitl but how many 25 year old 70+ point RFAs are actually available? It’s not like we have anyone in the system capable of becoming this type of player.
He's not a 70 point forward, he's a 50+ point forward.

In 59 career playoff games he has 11 goals.

In the year he did reach 70 points for the one and only time so far, he had 7 points in 15 games.

If he's only going to cost the Jets 1st and Harris/Barron I'm down as I don't consider those 2 dmen to have much value, but he's likely going to cost more and that's an easy pass.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He's not a 70 point forward, he's a 50+ point forward.

In 59 career playoff games he has 11 goals.

In the year he did reach 70 points for the one and only time so far, he had 7 points in 15 games.

If he's only going to cost the Jets 1st and Harris/Barron I'm down as I don't consider those 2 dmen to have much value, but he's likely going to cost more and that's an easy pass.
He’s 25 years old. He hit 70 points before. Do we have someone that has that potential? We were all celebrating like we won the Cup when Suzuki hit 70+

But if you think Filip Mesar is the long term answer, or if you think Josh Anderson becomes a premier power forward, good for you on your positivity.

I mean you’re talking about playoff performances yet you propose trading the 5th pick for Marner. Give your head a shake.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
He’s 25 years old. He hit 70 points before. Do we have someone that has that potential? We were all celebrating like we won the Cup when Suzuki hit 70+

But if you think Filip Mesar is the long term answer, or if you think Josh Anderson becomes a premier power forward, good for you on your positivity.

I mean you’re talking about playoff performances yet you propose trading the 5th pick for Marner. Give your head a shake.
So, 70 points is a big mark for Necas, but not Suzuki ?

You're literally taking what I've said and twisted to suite your narrative because you got proved wrong how Necas isn't this great playoff performer like you seemed to have thought he was by narrowing a window.

I said if you're going to trade for Necas, or Ehlers, you might as well trade for a player who's actually really good in the regular season.

Marner dummies Ehlers and Necas... in the regular season. All 3 suck in the playoffs.

At the end of the day I wouldn't trade for any of them based on the cost to acquire them. Then you have to pay Necas as he's without a contract. You also have to pay Marner as he's only got 1 year left and from the way they talk about him on 32 thoughts podcast Marner is going to walk. Not even sure what Ehlers' contract situation is and don't really care as he's easily the worst options of the 3. OK, I lied I quickly looked and Ehlers has 1 year left, so it's not like he comes with a solid contract that ends when he's 32/33, so yeah the worst option of the 3, but still a good player.

The Habs can't really add another player who's soft if they want to be actually competitive.

Yeah, you can bring up the "WeLl TaMpA hAd PoInT aNd KuChErOv" yeah and they're vastly more skilled than anything the Habs have, or have had for a while. Unless the Habs can get a player in the same realm of skill as those players (regular season Marner) these players aren't valid options, or at least shouldn't be.

Reactions: bsl

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
So, 70 points is a big mark for Necas, but not Suzuki ?

You're literally taking what I've said and twisted to suite your narrative because you got proved wrong how Necas isn't this great playoff performer like you seemed to have thought he was by narrowing a window.

I said if you're going to trade for Necas, or Ehlers, you might as well trade for a player who's actually really good in the regular season.

Marner dummies Ehlers and Necas... in the regular season. All 3 suck in the playoffs.

At the end of the day I wouldn't trade for any of them based on the cost to acquire them. Then you have to pay Necas as he's without a contract. You also have to pay Marner as he's only got 1 year left and from the way they talk about him on 32 thoughts podcast Marner is going to walk. Not even sure what Ehlers' contract situation is and don't really care as he's easily the worst options of the 3. OK, I lied I quickly looked and Ehlers has 1 year left, so it's not like he comes with a solid contract that ends when he's 32/33, so yeah the worst option of the 3, but still a good player.

The Habs can't really add another player who's soft if they want to be actually competitive.

Yeah, you can bring up the "WeLl TaMpA hAd PoInT aNd KuChErOv" yeah and they're vastly more skilled than anything the Habs have, or have had for a while. Unless the Habs can get a player in the same realm of skill as those players (regular season Marner) these players aren't valid options, or at least shouldn't be.
You clearly do not understand what I’m saying. We have two 70+ point players since 2008. It’s a big deal for the team. The offence sucks. Necas literally got 70 points last season. He’d vastly improve the offence.

Yeah I care what he’s done recently. wtf do I care if he didn’t score 10 playoff goals as a 19 year old? How is that indicative of the player he is today? Fact remains he has fine playoff production recently. To say he’s bad in the postseason is just false.

You’re not considering the cost of adding Marner. You’re giving up a 5th overall pick in addition to probably $14m in cap space. Whereas if you acquire Necas, you have him, a 5th overall pick and only half that cap space taken.

Christ Marner had 3 points in 7 games these playoffs. He’s trash. He’s a baby. He’s a f***ing loser.

And the last paragraph is not even worth mentioning, you make no sense.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
The things is we need a goal scorer (that’s what Hughes said too) and I don’t consider Necas as one and he will probably ask for 7m

If Joel Farabee is really available, he’s probably the one I would go after

For Marner, Toronto will just never trade him to MTL

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The things is we need a goal scorer (that’s what Hughes said too) and I don’t consider Necas as one and he will probably ask for 7m

The pick is likely one of Lindstrom or Iginla. Both are natural goal scorers.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I love Ehlers and I'd go for him too but we probably don't have what they want.. but maybe they'd be interested in bringing in Justin Barron.

Just think Carolina as an organization would take surplus picks and a Harris/Struble for Necas.
Canes would probably want one of our goalies. Netminding killed them in playoff

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
What about Nikolaj Ehlers ?

I think I would prefer him then Necas
Too small

They need goal scoring to shore up that second line big time

Reactions: bsl

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I'd like to see where he said that, as that's not the intention I got from 32 thoughts.

He talked about how Carolina tried to extend Pesce last year, somewhere around 5 x 5. I believe it was Pesce(Maybe Skjei) the Canes approached for a short-term, high cap hit deal like Orlov's.

He further put that he believed those two weren't in the top 3 of the priority. If I remember, 1st was extending Slavin, next was Jarvis and the 3rd was something else. It wasn't even signing Guentzel.

Go to around the 30:00 minute mark for Friedman talking about the Canes offseason which leads to the KK talk
Friedman said from what he’s hearing “Necas won’t get what he’s been asking for”

I.e he’s likely priced himself out of Car

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Necas is basically a better Dubois without the question marks. We have to be on this one

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
You clearly do not understand what I’m saying. We have two 70+ point players since 2008. It’s a big deal for the team. The offence sucks. Necas literally got 70 points last season. He’d vastly improve the offence.

Yeah I care what he’s done recently. wtf do I care if he didn’t score 10 playoff goals as a 19 year old? How is that indicative of the player he is today? Fact remains he has fine playoff production recently. To say he’s bad in the postseason is just false.

You’re not considering the cost of adding Marner. You’re giving up a 5th overall pick in addition to probably $14m in cap space. Whereas if you acquire Necas, you have him, a 5th overall pick and only half that cap space taken.

Christ Marner had 3 points in 7 games these playoffs. He’s trash. He’s a baby. He’s a f***ing loser.

And the last paragraph is not even worth mentioning, you make no sense.

Makes no sense... I literally just stated why it isn't worth it to go got Necas, or Ehlers and mentioned if you're going to go that route, go for Marner, but then stated how that isn't a good idea. You get upset because your idea of Necas and trying to build him up got destroyed.

You try to make Necas hitting 70 points once is a positive, but act like Suzuki getting it isn't.

You try to dismiss Necas sucking as a 19 year-old in the playoffs (he was 21 his first time in the NHL playoffs) but saw you shitting on Lafreniere for not doing well in the playoffs.

So, basically when it ties in with the narrative you want to make, it's good, but if it counters your narrative it isn't.

If you tried to sell Necas for what he is, a 50+ point player who's improving in the playoff scene, that'd be fair, but for some reason you tried to hype him to be a player that he isn't.

Friedman said from what he’s hearing “Necas won’t get what he’s been asking for”

I.e he’s likely priced himself out of Car
Means he either wants a lot, so he's probably eyeing free agency which means he's an easy no go if that's the case.
Necas is basically a better Dubois without the question marks. We have to be on this one
Well the Dubois this year, yeah, but the sad thing is that's barely.

PLD has shown the glimpses of what he can be and what he can be is clearly something better than Necas and brings many more intangibles. The problem is PLD gives no f***s and seems more content to live the high life than give a f*** about hockey based on this past season.

If PLD said he'd actually try if he came to Montreal and you could actually count on his word, then it's a no-brainer to acquire PLD over Necas everyday of the week. The problem, as I mentioned above, you can't trust his word for shit.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

The math has to make senses.
It's not always what you want but what you can get.

We have a surplus of D that we can't even use and a surplus of picks and we need to add some offensive Top 6 players. If you can get it for the surplus you have no intention to build on, go for it! Even if it's not perfect, it's good asset management.

But in the case of Necas, it's all about what he's asking for...won't touch him with 10 foot pole at 8.5M per year, but he's still a 25ish goal per year for the last 2 seasons
, it's not something we have a whole lot of that in the line-up.

Last edited:

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Yes to Necas, it's a no brainer depending on the cost of acquisition.. Winnipeg 1st++ and draft Lindstrom/Iginla.

Iginla/Lindstrom-Suzuki-Slafkovski
Caufield-Dach-Necas

Great size in the top6 imo. Necas us a tremendous passer, Caufield would benefit so much playing with these 2.

Still great bottom six left prospects wise.

Newhook-Kapanen-Roy
Tuch-Beck-Xhekaj

Get him Hughes!

Reactions: Scriptor

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Yes to Pesce. Big RHD that would solidify the top 4.

No the Ehlers or Necas. No interest in soft Euros.

Alexandre Carrier is a free agent this year. He's an under-rated RD. I think he'd be a good partner for Xhekaj.

Both Carriers: William (Vegas) and Alexandre (Nashville) would be solid pickups.

Pesce will be expensive, and a lot of teams will show interest, including both Vancouver and Toronto.

Matt Roy (LAK) is another quality RHD going to market. He'd be a good partner for Matheson. But like Pesce, I think there will be a big market for him.

Reactions: Rapala

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Necas would be our most skilled forward.

Maybe he lacks a bit of IQ but him carrying the puck is a thing of beauty.

I think he's better than a 53 pts player. I'd buy somewhat low.

Reactions: Habs7631

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Imagine trading 1st pick WPG with Adam Engstrom or Logan Mailloux and another piece for a good top 6 player.

Draft Demidov, Lindstrom or Iginla.

Sign Brett Pesce for playing with Mike Matheson and trade David Savard at the deadline. Pesce will be a really good top pairing D for another 5 years at minimum.

After the deadline, Reinbacher would play with Habs.

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield.
Necas//Zegras//Ehlers//Other option - Dach - Roy.
Newhook - Beck - Armia. (Or Armia-Newhook-Gallagher).

Matheson - Pesce.
Guhle - Reinbacher.
Hutson - Xhekaj.

That's really good looking line-up.

But yeah, maybe it's going to be that, but I will certainly happy with bring Brett Pesce in this D-core!

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I'd target Matt Roy. Best bang for the buck. He'll be 30 years old. I don't think any teams will dish an 8 year contract on him, as he's not an offensive threat, but he's a 20-22 mintues per game kind of dman. A very good stabilizer, and potentially a replacement for Savard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad