HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I don't know if you are getting 6th OV value with Matheson. Maybe a pick in 10-15 range. I think there is good value to extract if you retain money on his last 2 years. There is probably a contender team that would bite on a puck-moving defenseman in his prime with 2 years left at a discount.​
Don’t think either for the 6th oa, that’s why I originally said Geekie

Reactions: Leto

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't know if you are getting 6th OV value with Matheson. Maybe a pick in 10-15 range. I think there is good value to extract if you retain money on his last 2 years. There is probably a contender team that would bite on a puck-moving defenseman in his prime with 2 years left at a discount.​
Would Hughes even consider putting the guy on the market? Ex-client, 5-star human being, playing with his home team, limited vets on D, needs to buy some time until next wave of prospects arrives.

Who knows what Hughes promised him.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Why would you trade Matheson? Why does everyone want to trade him lol? He literally played 3-4th most minutes per game in the nhl last year.
Because they have a surplus of LDs and he's 30 years old.

Hugues said at the end of season presser that he wouldn't go get an veteran RD because that would block the progress of their young RDs.
Keeping Matheson and extending him has pretty much the same effect on their young LDs.

So, if you take Hugues at his word, what would be the logic in keeping Matheson?

Of course, they don't have to trade him now, but eventually it will have to be done.

Reactions: habsfan891

skidcells

May 11, 2023
I could see Kyrou being the target.
I think some type of conversations are/will happen between us and the blues. They had a scout at practically every Laval rocket game up to and after the trade deadline. Chiarelli himself scouted are farm club numerous times,

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
A contender team wil lnot be picking in the 6-15 range.

Matheson to NJ for the 10th, maybe? I don't think it would be enough for Matheson, IMO. However, I would offer Matheson + WIN 1st in 2024 VS #10 OA pick + Holtz.

Holtz, one of Lindstrom or Iginla with the 5th OA, plus one of Catton, Helenius, Eiserman, Sennecke, or Boisvert with the 10th OA pick.

Pack your bags and start heading towards Successville! The forward imbroglio has been addressed, with odds indoor favour of two of these studs becoming the real deal and one settling in as an excellent 3rd line player, for even more offensive depth.

Out: Matheson

IN: Holtz, Lindstro/Iginla, Catton/Helenius/Eiserman/Sennecke/Boisvert

Montreal signs a veteran, stop gap RHD on the UFA front during the offseason and Guhle returns to the left side as we wait for Reinbacher and Mailloux to mature.

Lindstrom - Dach - Holtz
Caufield
- Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Newhook - Catton/Helenius - Roy OR Sennecke/Boisvert - Newhook - Roy
Xhekaj/Tuch - Beck - Kapanen
Heineman

Goals from 5 out of 6 guys on the top-6. Playmaking from Dach, Suzuki, Slafkovsky and, to a lesser degree, Lindstrom.

The third line can have many looks.

The fourth line can be a shutdown line with definite offensive upside.

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
I hope the Habs don't trade for Necas.

He's going to cost a lot in terms of assets and then a contract.

While the Habs need players like him, it's almost certainly too much for a 50 point player who isn't really noticeable in the playoffs.
I've noticed his incredible diving capabilities.

Reactions: FloJack

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
A contender team wil lnot be picking in the 6-15 range.

Matheson to NJ for the 10th, maybe? I don't think it would be enough for Matheson, IMO. However, I would offer Matheson + WIN 1st in 2024 VS #10 OA pick + Holtz.

I was speculating on Matheson's value, not what trade I think would be plausible. Romanov managed to get us Dach via the 13 OV. I think Matheson's value is in this ballpark, hence the 10-15 range. That being said, I think Matheson would be more appealing to a team that is in contention, due to Matheson's respectable cap hit at 4.875m. At say 50% retained for 2 years, Matheson at ~2.44m is really good value for teams that are at the cap ceiling. I think a team with a pick in the 17-32 range might be tempted to package their pick and add other assets to make it work.​

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The idea of trading Matheson is that it would be trading on a high. He's on a good contract and just got a 60 point season.

But if Romanov was worth a 13th, I think Matheson should be worth more than a 15th.
It's fine to want to trade Matheson while his value is high, the problem is the majority of proposals being tossed around don't come close to the value he has on the Habs.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Wont happen but trading Matheson could be great for our future

Matheson to DET for 15th overall

Trade 15th overall + Jets pick to move up

We can leave the draft with Demidov/Lindstrom + Sennecke/Helenius/Eiserman or one of the top RD’s

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Wont happen but trading Matheson could be great for our future

Matheson to DET for 15th overall

Trade 15th overall + Jets pick to move up

We can leave the draft with Demidov/Lindstrom + Sennecke/Helenius/Eiserman or one of the top RD’s
I would not hesitate one bit to pull this one, but do you think Detroit takes that?

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Are we really comparing a 24 years old Suzuki to a 29 years old Matheson who doesnt know how to defend? Will he even still be with us in 2/3 years when we’re really ready to compete
I got news for you - they better start competing next year - the honeymoon is over.

You don't go from bottom five to Stanley Cup. There is a natural progression.
- Challange for playoffs
- Make playoffs
- Lose a couple of years in 1st or 2nd round
- Start being a real contender for Cup

Without vets like Matheson - you never get to step 1. As Miller said, like Buffalo, Senators, Wings you are perpetually in non playoff mode.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
If they could I'd inquire with LA to acquire Matt Roy, talk to him and see if he'd sign long-term and what he's looking for. If it works, get the paper work going for that trade and deal Savard to a team.

The Roy trade, unless it's coming with an 8th year is like a 4th, should be able to get a 1st for Savard, especially at 50% retained.

Habs now have their d still covered and improved and they now have 3 1st round picks they can pedal for a forward that doesn't include theirs.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
If they could I'd inquire with LA to acquire Matt Roy, talk to him and see if he'd sign long-term and what he's looking for. If it works, get the paper work going for that trade and deal Savard to a team.

The Roy trade, unless it's coming with an 8th year is like a 4th, should be able to get a 1st for Savard, especially at 50% retained.

Habs now have their d still covered and improved and they now have 3 1st round picks they can pedal for a forward that doesn't include theirs.
Never getting a first for Savard. He'd have been gone at the trade deadline if that was the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad