HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Beck isn't the main piece in the deal. We can debate about whether Yzerman would do this deal or not. But let's he does the deal without Beck, and it's Farrell and Mesar instead. Yes, I like getting the 15th overall pick in THIS YEAR's draft. We need quality over quantity at this point. And I want to trade vets for potential young core pieces.

So for sure I can understand people not wanting to put Beck in. I'm not high on Beck as a top 6 forward. But I do think he could be a very useful player on a championship team. I also think if it's as a bottom sixer, those players can be acquired in other ways. It's hard to get Suzuki level talent that you can find in the 10-15 range if a deep draft.

So also, the trade definitely depends on the scouts believing there's a special player that will fall, and a willingness to trade up from 15 to get him.

Beck is not Farrell or Mesar, he’s the type of prospect you keep.

I just don’t understand the interest in getting a 15th overall pick for our best dman and a guy who will likely be better than the average 15th overall pick.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Beck is not Farrell or Mesar, he’s the type of prospect you keep.

I just don’t understand the interest in getting a 15th overall pick for our best dman and a guy who will likely be better than the average 15th overall pick.

It's a trade neither side will do.

Hughes will not trade Matheson, because he wants to start being competitive now, and Yzerman will not trade the 15th pick for 30 year old Matheson, because he still wants to continue building through the draft while attempting to stay competitive, and Matheson doesn't move the needle.

Yes, Beck is a much better prospect than Mesar or Farrell. I'm just more interested in getting higher end top 6 forwards than Newhook right now. If you KNOW you can get a player that you strongly project with the 15th pick, that would be the reasoning. You don't do it now for the 15th. You do it at the draft, and then you trade up from 15 to get your guy if you have to. Also, I'm not that high on Beck. He may become a Danault level player. And I don't take that for granted. But I'd like us to get higher end offense. And you have to give to get.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
It's a trade neither side will do.

Hughes will not trade Matheson, because he wants to start being competitive now, and Yzerman will not trade the 15th pick for 30 year old Matheson, because he still wants to continue building through the draft while attempting to stay competitive, and Matheson doesn't move the needle.

Yes, Beck is a much better prospect than Mesar or Farrell. I'm just more interested in getting higher end top 6 forwards than Newhook right now. If you KNOW you can get a player that you strongly project with the 15th pick, that would be the reasoning. You don't do it now for the 15th. You do it at the draft, and then you trade up from 15 to get your guy if you have to. Also, I'm not that high on Beck. He may become a Danault level player. And I don't take that for granted. But I'd like us to get higher end offense. And you have to give to get.

Detroit would do that trade in a heartbeat.

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
The idea of trading Matheson is that it would be trading on a high. He's on a good contract and just got a 60 point season.

But if Romanov was worth a 13th, I think Matheson should be worth more than a 15th.
Don't we want to get better next year if so we need Matheson i know we have very good def prospects but it will take time with them i'd wait until trade deadline 2025 or if next year we still at the bottom i would also consider trading him but i don't see the rush in trading him.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The idea of trading Matheson is that it would be trading on a high. He's on a good contract and just got a 60 point season.

But if Romanov was worth a 13th, I think Matheson should be worth more than a 15th.
Matheson is 29 going 30 and up for a massive pay upgrade.

Romanov was 22 with a decade of team control and on a cheap contract.

They should be worth about the same.

Jul 6, 2016
Matheson is 29 going 30 and up for a massive pay upgrade.

Romanov was 22 with a decade of team control and on a cheap contract.

They should be worth about the same.
Not before two seasons. Too early to trade Matheson who is super useful to this team right now.

The interesting thing for me this offseason will he if KH can find a suitor for Dvorak.

With one year remaining on his contract, risk is very low for any team that will be trading for him.
Just lots of $$$$ for the type of hockey he is offering.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Beck isn't the main piece in the deal. We can debate about whether Yzerman would do this deal or not. But let's he does the deal without Beck, and it's Farrell and Mesar instead. Yes, I like getting the 15th overall pick in THIS YEAR's draft. We need quality over quantity at this point. And I want to trade vets for potential young core pieces.

So for sure I can understand people not wanting to put Beck in. I'm not high on Beck as a top 6 forward. But I do think he could be a very useful player on a championship team. I also think if it's as a bottom sixer, those players can be acquired in other ways. It's hard to get Suzuki level talent that you can find in the 10-15 range if a deep draft.

So also, the trade definitely depends on the scouts believing there's a special player that will fall, and a willingness to trade up from 15 to get him.

The Canadiens aren't going to trade (productive/useful) vets for picks anymore. That phase is over.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
While Andersson would be a nice addition, the value here seems lopsided in favour of the flames.
Extrapolating a little, would 5th OA + 25th OA + Barron/Harris be enough to land the 4th OA? I would assume not.

There’s a reason trades involving high picks are scarce. The overpayment being sought by most teams must be decadent.

The good news? We can afford decadent as we can’t hold on to all the players we’re going to draft in the next few years.

How willing might Hughes be to trade assets to move up vs. getting a more tangible asset in return? Maybe he’s open to both.

Reactions: Miller Time

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Extrapolating a little, would 5th OA + 25th OA + Barron/Harris be enough to land the 4th OA? I would assume not.

There’s a reason trades involving high picks are scarce. The overpayment being sought by most teams must be decadent.

The good news? We can afford decadent as we can’t hold on to all the players we’re going to draft in the next few years.

How willing might Hughes be to trade assets to move up vs. getting a more tangible asset in return? Maybe he’s open to both.
I suppose moving up from top 5 would depend on if they have a decided preference for a player likely to go before 5. If not they will probably spend their time trying to use the Jets pick to move up.

Reactions: Runner77

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
While Andersson would be a nice addition, the value here seems lopsided in favour of the flames.
Andersson is probably worth a pick in the 8-12 range by himself. Basically 2 top-10 1sts for a top-5 pick. When you take into account there isn't very much separation between 5 and 9 this year, and that the Flames would be paying a premium to move up, I definitely think value wise it favors the Habs

Maybe I overrate Andersson

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The RD position is the weakest in the organisation. Savard is literally the only NHL one available. Trading him would be asinine.
At TDL. They have make room for Reinbacher and Mailloux, and,Guhke can play right to make room for Matheson, Hutson, and Xhekaj.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad